Love & Respect: The Love She Most Desires;…

Love & Respect: The Love She Most Desires; The Respect He Desperately… (2004)

by Emerson Eggerichs

Emerson is certainly not biblical scholar, he (unfortunately) misuses and misinterprets Scripture at times—and would have benefited from just a little ounce of theological research—instead of coming off like a resurrection of the self-help genre.

But his premise is helpful, even if it does not work in every situation. ( )
  sc4 | Sep 16, 2014 |
Men need to learn how to better show their love and affection for their wives. Women need to show better respect for their husbands and the role they have in the marraige relationship. This is the premise for the book. I was highly excited to get a book that was supposed to teach me more about respect and my husband more about love. And yet, it became mostly a method and perspective of how a woman mostly whines and nags. The descriptions used to illustrate a woman in this book are in some cases highly offensive. And when it says that some instances of the mans behavior is a woman's fault, I said, ok..now repeat that for the man. But it never did. There were no derogatory descriptions of a mans behavior but plenty for women. It seems highly one-sided. The premise is great, the scripture is good, but the execution and delivery is terrible.

I've read tons of reviews on this book before choosing to get it anyway. And for those who've used another's review to question their beliefs and ability to even give an opinion on the book is appalling. I don't believe they are even trying to give the respect that this book taught. This book needed to have less derogatory descriptions of women and more depth on actual causes to these actions by BOTH men and women as opposed to being so fully lopsided. It needs more options of to do's for people to apply rather than scenarios of things gone wrong. It boasted to tell of the love women need and the respect men deserve and it failed to deliver this. ( )
  jesssika | Sep 9, 2014 |
This book provides some helpful tips about how to understand your spouse. I appreciated the perspective of “blue hearing aids” and pink hearing aids.” It was a great reminder that we both hear and say things that can be interpreted in a very different way by our spouse. I also liked the reminder that men need respect more than love and women assume that men must earn our respect before we offer it. It’s a cycle and the easiest way to break it is to offer your spouse respect and expect nothing in return. That’s difficult but it is a big step towards harmony in the home. ( )
  bookworm12 | Mar 5, 2014 |

But his premise is helpful, even if it does not work in every situation. ( )
  tehone | Jan 25, 2014 |
You can find my full review at Quieted Waters.

Dr. Eggerich’s unique contribution to relationship literature is his focus upon the husband’s need to be respected by his wife. While men and women need both love and respect, they differ in which is a higher priority. Dr. Eggerich cites a study in which 74 percent of men reported that they would rather be alone and unloved than to feel inadequate and disrespected by everyone, and he references frequently Paul’s exhortation in Ephesians that women are to respect their husbands. ( )
  QuietedWaters | May 22, 2013 |

A marriage book with a difference! This book reveals why spouses react negatively to each other, and how they can deal with such conflict quickly, easily and biblically.

Based upon Ephesians 5:33 and extensive biblical and psychological research, Dr. Emerson Eggerichs reveals the power of unconditional love and unconditional respect and how husbands and wives can reap the benefits of marriage that God intended.--Publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible