I Am No One You Know: Stories by Joyce Carol…

I Am No One You Know: Stories (2004)

by Joyce Carol Oates

English (2)  French (1)  All languages (3)
I Am No One You Know is a collection of short stories, which isn't my usual genre, but the synopsis seemed interesting. I got about halfway through the book and stopped reading. Aesthetically, the stories are well written, but the endings are a bit off. I believe the author intended to conclude each story in a way that would allow the reader to further contemplate the story and apply their own meaning or value. But for me, they were awkward and unfinished conclusions.

None of the stories I read didn't pique my interest and finally I just gave up. Perhaps the stories later in the book were better, but I did not have the patience to explore it further. I think this is the type of book that you either you love or don't like, there's no middle ground. I'm in the latter group. ( )
  admccrae | Apr 3, 2013 |
For the most part, these are well-written but disturbing stories in which unhappy things happen to unhappy people. ( )
2 vote JGoto | Jun 16, 2008 |
To Robert and Peggy Boyers

I Am No One You Know contains nineteen startling stories that bear witness to the remarkably varied lives of Americans of our time. In "Fire," a troubled young wife discovers a rare, radiant happiness in an adulterous relationship. In "Curly Red," a girl makes a decision to reveal a family secret, and changes her life irrevocably. In "The Girl with the Blackened Eye," selected for The Best American Mystery Stories 2001, a girl pushed to an even greater extreme of courage and desperation manages to survive her abduction by a serial killer. And in "Three Girls," two adventuresome NYU undergraduates seal their secret love by following, and protecting, Marilyn Monroe in disguise at Strand Used Books on a snowy evening in 1956.

These vividly rendered portraits of women, men, and children testify to Oates's compassion for the mysterious and luminous resources of the human spirit.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:40 -0400)

A collection of nineteen short works includes "Fire," in which a troubled wife has an affair; "Curly Red," in which a girl reveals a family secret; and "Three Girls," in which two students protect Marilyn Monroe.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,126,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible