The Grimaldis of Monaco by Anne Edwards

The Grimaldis of Monaco (1992)

by Anne Edwards

They had endured longer than any other European monarchy"
By sally tarbox on 23 August 2017
Format: Paperback
A well-written and readable account of Monaco's royal family.
The work opens in 1990, with Princess Caroline all set to ask her ex, Philippe Junot, to have their marriage annulled - or her children would be ineligible to inherit the throne, the long Grimaldi line set to be broken .
The author then takes us back in time to look at the history. There's an awful lot to take in: in 64 pages, Chapter 2 whizzes us from their first known ancestor (a 12th century Genoese) through to 1795, so I must admit that without taking notes I was left with a rather blurry notion of Honores and Florestans, unhappy marriages, close links to the French court, the Sun King, and the fallout of the French Revolution.
Then we move on to canny consort Caroline and the establishment of the first casino, which turned an impoverished peasant economy into a classy resort. Prince Charles (after whom Monte Carlo was named), Prince Albert who was a noted oceanographer, family feuds, the War ... and the stories of Rainier and Grace...
With b/w pictures, this is interesting throughout ( )
  starbox | Aug 23, 2017 |
it was a very interesting and revealling book that was a page turner ( )
  lee123 | Oct 16, 2007 |
For Polly Brown with love and gratitude
Speedboat racing was Stefano Casiraghi's passion, and although Princesse Caroline feared the dangers of the sport, she was confident of her husband's ability and knew how much retaining the world offshore powerboat championship, which he had won the previous year, meant to him.

Nearly eight hundred years of history of the Grimaldi family, the world's oldest reigning dynasty.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,326,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible