Faust, Part One by Johann Wolfgang von…

Faust, Part One (1808)

by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (Author)

Series: Goethe's Faust (1)

English (15)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (18)
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'

-Percy Bysshe Shelley, 'Ozymandias'

Wer immer strebend sich bemüht,
Den können wir erlösen.
("Who ever strives with all his power,
We are allowed to save.")

-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Faust
In Faust, the name of the game is passion. Passion for learning, passion for love, passion for life in all its forms and facets. The deprivation of passion by the slow grind of facts and figures and hypocrisy, the boons of inheritance providing shortcuts without granting the necessary experience of true effort, and excess. When the world is at one's feet, what is there left for passion to strive for?

But until then, what will you do to achieve that world?

It's an almost impossible balance, especially when the rest of the world is thrown in at full tilt. The passion becomes split, and when one track is spent the next is sought, and the next, and the next, by any means to any measure. One may wish at the beginning to be good, but when the so-called custodians of morality sell it by the yard for a varying price, and all the esteem generated by the straight and narrow pales in comparison to the smallest glimpse of moonlit wraith, well. One must consider the odds when the devil comes a calling.

On the one hand, your wish at the immortal's command. On the other, all the ramifications of those wishes, bound as they are in a reality of finite glory, finite justice, finite truth. To go forth enraptured in the potential, and in the end consigning everything outside of that potential to the flames.

Now, who among you would proclaim yourselves worthy of judging just how far one can go?

---

Now, as this is Faust we're talking about, I know this first reading was nowhere near good enough to exempt me from future rereadings. Also, the German language is one that I am intent on mastering, and what better piece to work towards than one of, if not the, pillars of German literature? So, until we meet again, Mephisto, preferably on a span of stage that does full honors to your Walpurgisnacht. I'm very much looking forward to it. ( )
  Korrick | Feb 26, 2014 |
Another book I had to read in school (like probably every single student in Germany) and at the time and didn't have much love for it (like probably every student having to read it). But since the play has grown on me and by now I quite like it. ( )
  Zurpel | Sep 22, 2013 |
Aquel alquimista que queria saber todo lo conocido y tentado por Mefistofeles, me identifico mucho con el. ( )
  Heinrich_Faust | Jul 20, 2013 |
One of the few books I read for school that I actually enjoyed! ( )
  Kewpie83 | Apr 3, 2013 |
O Fausto de Goethe é um daqueles livros que sintetizam uma época, seus conhecimentos, aspirações, superstições, temores. Uma obra tão completa como A Divina Comédia de Dante. ( )
  JuliaBoechat | Mar 30, 2013 |

Manninen, OttoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ras, G.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ras, G.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lawrence Brown
Ihr naht euch wieder schwankende Gestalten,

Die früh sich einst dem trüben Blick gezeigt.

(Ye draw near again wavering forms,

The early once shown the gloomy view.)
Contains only Part 1. Please don't combine with either the complete Faust or with Part 2.

Goethe's activities as poet, statesman, theatre director, critic, and scientist show him to be a genius of amazing versatility. This quality is reflected in his Faust, which ranks with the achievements of Homer, Dante, and Shakespeare. The mood of the play shifts constantly, displaying in turn the poet's controlled energy, his wit, his irony, his compassion, and above all his gift for lyrical expression. Faust, which Goethe began in his youth and worked on during the greater part of his lifetime, takes for its theme the universal experience of the troubled human soul, but its spiritual values far transcend mere satanism and its consequences.

Goethe’s masterpiece and perhaps the greatest work in German literature, Faust has made the legendary German alchemist one of the central myths of the Western world. Here indeed is a monumental Faust, an audacious man boldly wagering with the devil, Mephistopheles, that no magic, sensuality, experience, or knowledge can lead him to a moment he would wish to last forever. Here, in Faust, Part I, the tremendous versatility of Goethe’s genius creates some of the most beautiful passages in literature. Here too we experience Goethe’s characteristic humor, the excitement and eroticism of the witches’ Walpurgis Night, and the moving emotion of Gretchen’s tragic fate.

This authoritative edition, which offers Peter Salm’s wonderfully readable translation as well as the original German on facing pages, brings us Faust in a vital, rhythmic American idiom that carefully preserves the grandeur, integrity, and poetic immediacy of Goethe’s words.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:26 -0400)

Faust, the greatest scholar of his era, makes a pact with the devil to master all branches of learning.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,416,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible