My Daddy and Me by Jerry Spinelli

My Daddy and Me

by Jerry Spinelli

Starring a puppy and his dog dad, this charming picture book is about all the things they do together, from playing games to work around the house.

Positive review from Publisher's Weekly 2/17/2003. http://www.mackin.com/MackinOnline/SearchResultsFullRecord.aspx?id=4&Index=4...

I could see primary students using it as a writing seed - write about the things you do with someone special to you. ( )
  teacherliz | Jun 28, 2010 |
This book is cute. It is a nice story about an ideal father-child relationship, which some kids could relate to. It's full of simple text for young readers. The book's content is also much more appropriate for younger readers. ( )
  bamabreezin4 | Mar 10, 2010 |
In My Daddy and Me, Newbery medalist Jerry Spinelli has written a book in praise of both the fun things and the practical things about daddies. The two characters in this joyous book are a brown-and-white doggy daddy and his boy doggy. The book opens as the little doggy waits for his daddy to arrive home from work. When daddy arrives home with his briefcase and newspaper, the little doggy runs out to meet him and the fun begins. They play hide and seek, then magic show, and the little doggy gets to pretend to drive his daddy’s car. But they also bake cookies together, plant tomatoes, fix the house (little doggy’s job is to carry the toolbox and hand Daddy the hammer), and Daddy even gives little doggy a haircut.

In short, even though Daddy likes to play with his son, he also does the practical jobs of keeping a household and raising a child. This sets My Daddy and Me apart from other children’s books that celebrate daddies for playing with their children but often leave out the other roles of being a parent. The roughly painted scenes gives the book a childlike and friendly feel, and My Daddy and Me ends on a note both sentimental and realistic: “Work makes daddy tired. Sometimes he’s too tired to play tag with me or to stand up straight. But never, ever is my daddy too tired to sing me a lullaby when it’s time for bed.” Review by Book Dads ( )
  bookdads | Sep 29, 2009 |
There is nothing like a Father/Son relationship. When this little dog tells of his love and admiration for his father, the reader can't help but love their relationship. The little dog tells of the things that he and his dad do together.
Because the characters are dogs in this book and they talk and have feelings, this book is considered a fantasy, because what is taking place could not actually happen in real life.
A teacher could use this book to show students the love and importance of a family.
The theme of the story is easy to follow. The message the author gives is of the love of a father towards his son.
Media: Oil Paint ( )
  cmiersma | Nov 3, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553113038, Paperback)

Newbery Medalist Jerry Spinelli's first picture book stars a flop-eared young pup who loves to spend time with his father when he gets home from work. Little wonder! Dad has plenty of energy at day's end for playing the harmonica, wrestling, planting tomatoes, making gingerbread men, and even for household chores: "When the house breaks,/ we have to fix it./ My job is to carry/ the toolbox/ and hand Daddy the hammer./ He says I'm his best helper." On the rare occasion, his dad is too pooped to play: "But never, ever is my daddy too tired/ to sing me a lullaby/ when it's time/ for bed." Seymour Chwast's thickly textured, color-saturated paintings of the goofy dog pair render the affectionate father-son bond tangible. Young children will surely be comforted by this warm, simple tribute to Dadkind. (Preschool) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:41 -0400)

A young boy describes the things he likes to do with his father, including making music, baking cookies, and fixing things.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,025,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible