The Beautiful Miscellaneous by Dominic Smith

The Beautiful Miscellaneous

by Dominic Smith

I really enjoyed this book. The characters were all interesting and well defined, the plot was interesting, and the writing was good. ( )
  pamfb7557 | Aug 7, 2010 |
It's about a slightly gifted young man who's genius father keeps expecting him to become a real genius just any minute, and what happens after a traumatic brain injury causes the young man to have synesthesia (he sees words and sounds as colors and shapes, and sometimes smells and tastes) and develops a super-memory. The relationships explored in this story can be generalized to relationships in almost anyone's life where some people accept you for exactly who you are, and others have expectations beyond your capability to deliver.
  MsKelly65 | Mar 1, 2010 |
This was one of the best books that I have read in such a long time. I started reading it a few months ago, but stopped after I got to a certain part. It hit me a little too close to home so I had to stop. But I couldn't put it out of my mind.

This book wont change your life, it wont inspire you to greatness, but it will make you feel something. I can't describe it, but it will make you feel something and I think that feeling is the most worthwhile thing you could get from this book.

I can't wait to read The Mercury Visions... ( )
  drawnstring | Oct 6, 2007 |
I felt quiet and introspective by the end; never cried, but I definitely cared. ( )
1 vote spyderella | Jul 31, 2007 |

Dominic Smithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Garcia, Paul MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As far as near-death experiences go, mine was a disappointment.

Dominic Smith's beautifully written new novel explores genius and loss, failure and redemption, in this portrait of a son trying to make peace with the crushing weight of his father's expectations. Nathan Nelson is above average in everything he does, but his father, a renowned quark physicist, will not give up his quest to uncover his son's latent gifts. Consequently, Nathan has spent his formative years in whiz-kid summer camps, learning college algebra and visiting the Stanford Linear Accelerator. By the time Nathan is seventeen, hopes for a late-blooming prodigy seem dashed, but a tragic accident and ensuing coma leave Nathan with an altered mind that allows him to memorize vast amounts of information. Nathan's father, looking for an application for the new talent, sends him to a research institute where, amid neurological misfits and savants, Nathan tries to find a purpose for the altered way he sees and hears the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:31 -0400)

"Nathan Nelson is the average son of a genius. His father, a physicist of small renown, has prodded him toward greatness from an early age - enrolling him in whiz kid summer camps, taking him to the icy tundra of Canada to track a solar eclipse, and teaching him college algebra. But despite Samuel Nelson's efforts, Nathan remains ordinary." "Then, in the summer of 1987, everything changes. While visiting his small-town grandfather in Michigan, Nathan is involved in a terrible accident. After a brief clinical death - which he later recalls as a lackluster affair lasting less than the length of a Top 40 pop song - he falls into a coma. When he awakens, Nathan finds that everyday life is radically different. His perceptions of sight, sound, and memory have been irrevocably changed. The doctors and his parents fear permanent brain damage. But the truth of his condition is more unexpected and leads to a renewed chance for Nathan to find his place in the world."Thinking that his son's altered brain is worthy of serious inquiry, Samuel arranges for Nathan to attend the Brooks-Mills Institute, a Midwestern research center where savants, prodigies, and neurological misfits are studied and their specialities applied. Immersed in this strange atmosphere - where an autistic boy can tell you what day Christmas falls on in 3026 but can't tie his shoelaces, where a medical intuitive can diagnose cancer during a long-distance phone call with a patient - Nathan begins to unravel the mysteries of his new mind. He also tries to make peace with the crushing weight of his father's expectations."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,736,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible