Faust I & II by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Faust I & II (1823)

by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

English (26)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All (35)
shelved at: (Z) (in DVD drawerbehind reception) : Reference : DVD
  PeterKent2015 | Feb 14, 2016 |
This is an abridged version of the massive play. This was abridged, cut, and translated into English for a BBC radio adaption in the 1940s.

The play itself is meant to be a closet drama - ie. its meant to be read and not exactly played and acted out on a stage in front of an audience.

It is a tremendous play and a massive and tremendous piece of work/literature. I have trouble though deciding on **** or ***1/2, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and go with ****. It's a bit deep with the satire, going into Greek mythologies (esp. in Part II) and it draws from a number of sources, some German, some classical Greek/Roman, some Shakespearean, and English. It's a hard play to wra your head around as the verse isn't aptly descriptive of the events and a large amount of 'reading between the lines' needs to be done. Overall it is a highly recommended work that should be read for no other reason than to at least acknowledge how Goethe is a great writer and to feel some sort of semblance of culture emanating from the work. ( )
  BenKline | Jan 31, 2016 |
Goethe is an amazing writer.
Faust despairs and wants the death because he can not understand the truth.
Dissatisfied with knowing all there is to know about everything, Faust sells his soul to the devil to learn, experience and understand more.

It's classic, it's brilliant and full of wisdom and eternal truths. ( )
  Haidji | Aug 19, 2015 |
No denying the beauty of the language in this, the iconic "sell your soul to the devil" story, but it seemed lightweight for it's subject. This modern verse translation of Part I is the only verse translation to be perfomed in the modern theater--which speaks highly of it's readability. ( )
1 vote srboone | Apr 19, 2013 |
This weird, beautiful, complicated play was the work of Goethe's entire life; he wrote it over 60 years, and I doubt he was done when he died. Part II was published posthumously in 1832; it had his, uh, prehumous approval, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't have been happy to spend another ten years tweaking it. To call it an exploration of the Faust myth seems almost like an insult; it's more the distillation of everything he knew and believed, framed loosely by Faust. (And I do mean loosely.)

That's undoubtedly part of why it's so complicated. It abruptly switches scenes, themes, tone and meter; sometimes I was halfway through a scene before I even figured out what was going on. It's one of the few works where, at the halfway mark, I was already imagining what it would be like when I read it again.

That's a way of saying I didn't get it, and I didn't get it, at least not fully. Hell, it's the entire life of one of our greatest thinkers; I'm not ashamed to admit it. It's also a way of saying that I'm not sure I picked the right translation. I have nothing to compare it to, but Atkins' felt matter-of-fact - plodding - unpoetic. As well, the endnotes and introduction were cursory.

3 vote AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
(specifically reviews the illustrations by Harry Clarke)

Clarke’s unmistakable aesthetic, which became a centerpiece of the Irish Arts and Crafts movement and which he had applied to Edgar Allan Poe’s Tales of Mystery and Imagination just a few years earlier, lends the Goethe masterpiece an additional dimension of haunting beauty ....

Goethe, Johann Wolfgang vonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Soane, GeorgeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steenbergen, Alb.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vloten, J. vanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Пастернак, БорисTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ye wavering forms draw near again as ever / When ye long since moved past my clouded eyes.
Contains Faust: A Tragedy, Parts 1 AND 2. Please distinguish this LT work from: (a) either Part 1 or Part 2 alone; (b) any editions containing more than Parts 1 and 2 (such as the Urfaust, commentaries, or "Norton Critical Editions"); (c) any abridged version; or (d) any adaptations or other derivative works. Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 069103656X, Paperback)

Goethe's most complex and profound work, Faust was the effort of the great poet's entire lifetime. Written over 60 years, it can be read as a document of Goethe's moral and artistic development. Faust is made available to the English reader in a completely new translation that communicates both its poetic variety and its many levels of tone. The language is present-day English, and Goethe's formal and rhythmic variety is reproduced in all its richness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:50 -0400)

The scholar Faust is tempted into contract with the Devil in return for unlimited knowledge and worldly pleasures.

16 free

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,858,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible