Under the Net by Iris Murdoch

Under the Net (original 1954; edition 1971)

by Iris Murdoch

Member:Robertgreaves
Title:Under the Net
Authors:Iris Murdoch
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (1971), Edition: New impression, Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, ebooks and online books
Tags:contemporary, novel, british author, ebook

Under the Net by Iris Murdoch (1954)

English (22)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (24)
I confess that I liked it after putting it down. But now, less than two years later, I cannot recall a single thing about this novel. Obviously, not comparable with a host of other works I've read. So, it appears to be a good book - just not memorable (despite the accolades from the critics). So why waster your time? ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
Mildly funny and entertaining, without much substance, though. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 4, 2014 |
"Under the Net" was my third time reading an Iris Murdoch novel. While this was probably my least favorite of the three, it clearly demonstrates why she is such a terrific author -- all of her books have been very different in terms of style and story.

In this novel, the narrator, Jake Donaghue is a translator who basically runs about London and Paris, all because he is completely inferring all the wrong things from every communication he has. The book is really about the little lies that crisscross in language (as no one every truly speaks their entire mind.) The philosphy never gets particularly heady here-- it's more a madcap story for the most part.

I don't think this is Murdoch's best work (thus far I liked "The Sea, The Sea" best) but overall I did enjoy this book. ( )
  amerynth | Sep 3, 2013 |
Evocative and well-written. Murdoch does a remarkably convincing male point of view. One for the blokes. ( )
1 vote Angela.Kingston | May 1, 2013 |
What I’ve enjoyed most about reading the books on The Modern Library’s 100 Best list is the regular surprise with books and authors that I’ve never heard of or have never dared to read. Before picking up the list, I’d never heard of Iris Murdoch. But after only a few pages of [Under the Net] while riding on an airplane, my neighbor asked what book was causing the outbursts of laughter.

Jake Donahue returns to England to learn that he and his best friend, Finn, are being evicted from the apartment where they live with Jake’s girlfriend, Madge. It turns out that Madge has found a new man. Jake and Finn hit the streets looking for a place to stay and something to drink. The rest of the book sees Jake on essentially the same journey, but it’s how he does it that provides so much fun.

Bottom Line: Surprising and audibly funny book.

4 bones !!!! ( )
3 vote blackdogbooks | Mar 23, 2013 |
All, all of a piece throughout:
Thy Chase had a Beast in view:
Thy Wars brought nothing about;
Thy Lovers were all untrue,
'Tis well an old Age is out,
And time to begin a New.

DRYDEN: THE SECULAR MASQUE
To: RAYMOND QUENEAU
When I saw Finn waiting for me at the corner of the street I knew at once that something had gone wrong. Finn usually waits for me in bed, or leaning up against the side of the door with his eyes closed.
Hugo noticed only details. He never classified. It was as if his vision were sharpened to the point where even classification was impossible, for each thing was seen as absolutely unique. I had the feeling that I was meeting for the first time an almost completely truthful man ...

Starting a novel is like opening a door on a misty landscape; you can still see very little but you can smell the earth and feel the wind blowing.

A comic novel about work and love, wealth and fame

Jake Donaghue, garrulous artist, meets Hugo Bellfounder, silent philosopher.

Jake, hack writer and sponger, now penniless flat-hunter, seeks out an old girlfriend, Anna Quentin, and her glamorous actress sister, Sadie. He resumes acquaintance with the formidable Hugo, whose ‘philosophy’ he once presumptuously dared to interpret. These meetings involve Jake and his eccentric servant-companion, Finn, in a series of adventures that include the kidnapping of a film-star dog and a political riot on a film set of ancient Rome. Jake, fascinated, longs to learn Hugo’s secret. Perhaps Hugo’s secret is Hugo himself? Admonished, enlightened, Jake hopes at last to become a real writer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:31 -0400)

"Jake, hack writer and sponger, now penniless flat-hunter, seeks out an old girlfriend, Anna Quentin, and her glamorous actress sister, Sadie. He resumes acquaintance with formidable Hugo, whose 'philosophy' he once presumptuously dared to interpret. These meetings involve Jake and his eccentric servent-companion, Finn, in a series of adventures that include the kidnapping of a film-star dog and a political riot in a film-set of ancient Rome"--Cover.… (more)

Legacy Library: Iris Murdoch

Iris Murdoch has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Iris Murdoch's legacy profile.

See Iris Murdoch's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible