The Awakening by Shannon Drake

The Awakening (edition 2003)

by Shannon Drake

Series: Vampires (5)

Member:sidhevicious
Title:The Awakening
Authors:Shannon Drake
Info:Zebra (2003), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:Keeper Shelf, Paranormal Romance, Vampire

The Awakening by Shannon Drake

For my #8 challenge (Spooky Story), I read The Awakening by Shannon Drake. In an attempt to save their failing marriage, New Orleans musicians Megan Merrill and Finn Douglas have come to Megan's hometown - Salem, Massachusetts to play a weeklong series of concerts, culminating on All Hallow's Eve. From the moment they arrive in Salem, however, Finn begins to change; loving and attentive one moment, cold and ruthless the next. The locals - even Megan's own relatives - regard him with distrust bordering on hatred.

As the time of the full moon draws nearer, Megan has terrifyingly real nightmares which make her begin to doubt her sanity and she is followed at night by an enveloping fog. She must soon face the fact that something has claimed Finn for its own and that her very soul is in mortal danger. I give this paranormal romance an A+! ( )
  rubyandthetwins | Feb 28, 2012 |
Library Journal says "...fans will be waiting for this one." I imagine that prior to being cut, it said "ONLY fans will be waiting for this one." As the culmination in a series of paranormal romances mainly centered on vampires, this one certainly did disappoint.
The two main characters are already married at the start of the novel, which is odd for a romance, but that doesn't mean they bicker any less or trust each other any more. And theirs is the love that is supposed to conquer all, including a centuries old demon that even Lucian doesn't know how to deal with. Whatever.
I also think this series of books has the same (really terrible) editor. I have continually been stunned by the myriad errors in each book, mostly of the variety spell check doesn't catch ('a time to reap and a time to sew", for example).
Really, I'm quite chagrined that I wasted so much time reading this series. ( )
  EmScape | Jun 2, 2010 |
This would probably have been more pleasing if I had read more in this series, however I haven't so I'm not sure if this is a typical read in this series or just a book that features some of the characters from the series.

It does have Vampires and Werewolves in the story but that's actually not very important to the plot. They felt like they could have been replaced by ordinary people and not really changed the story much. So I was left with a vague wondering why they were necessary in this story of human courage and spirit overcoming paranormal evil. Some of the plot twists did take me by surprise but this was basically a story about some Satanists wanting to manifest a demon and what two people have to do to fight it.

It was readable but sometimes I felt that things were a little forced and didn't flow well. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Dec 16, 2008 |
Being a lover of all thing Salem, this book makes you feel like you are walking the streets of the town. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Mar 25, 2008 |
The 5th in a series of romantic vampire books. This is much better then the last two. Shannon Drake is getting back to her good writing as in the first two. Back to being chilling. ( )
  vampyredhead | Jan 7, 2006 |

The tree-lined streets and mystical shops of Salem, Massachusetts resonate with a seductive and brutal history. New Orleans musician Megan O'Casey has returned to the home of her ancestors to perform, with her husband Finn, in a week long series of concerts, culminating on All Hallow's Eve... and to renew her connection with the past. But from the moment they arrive in Salem, Finn seems different -- sensual beyond belief one moment; cold and ruthless the next. The locals -- even Megan’s relatives -- regard him strangely, with a distrust bordering on hatred. Megan must soon face the fact that something powerful is rising, a malevolence that may have already claimed Finn for its own... As the full moon approaches, Megan senses that she, too, is in great danger. Sinister forces seem to be bringing her closer to darkness in a centuries -- old ritual that music cannot tame... and time cannot conquer...

Returning home to Salem, Massachusetts, to perform at a weeklong music festival, Megan O'Casey and her husband Finn come face-to-face with terror when an ominous force possesses them both, forcing them to participate in an ancient ritual and fulfill their dark destiny.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible