And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry…

And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street (Classic Seuss) (1937)

by Dr. Seuss

Summary:In this book, a young boy is walking home from school and looking at his surroundings. His father has told him to really look at what’s around him and everyday his father asks him what he saw on his way from school. All the young boy notices is a horse pulling a wagon. He decides that is really not very exciting so he makes up an entire new scenario using his imagination. As the story goes on, it becomes more and more elaborate. It starts with the horse turning into a zebra and eventually ending with an elephant and two giraffes. The boy adds even more exciting elements like having the mayor come, a band, a police escort, confetti dropping down onto the entire scene, and more. The boy runs out of time to imagine any more and is so excited to tell his dad all about what he “saw”. However, when he gets home he decides to keep it to himself and tell his dad that he didn’t see anything extraordinary today.

Review: I thought this book was very creative and has a unique twist of the imagination of a young boy. The whole thing started because the father wanted the son to be more aware of his surroundings. I think it is important to let children know that imagination is a great thing to have because it encourages creativity. This can be done by adults guiding children, like the father did for the son in this story. Therefore, the main message of this book is to foster imagination. Imagination shows how creative a person can be and it allows people to dream bigger. For example, the boy kept adding more creative elements to his story and that was because he had the imagination to do so. When children enter school and are expected to come up with creative art projects or stories, having imagination will help them be able to do that. ( )
  jbaile14 | Oct 24, 2014 |
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Marco walks home from school along Mulberry Street and tries to think of something interesting to tell his dad about the sights he sees. But all he sees is a plain horse and wagon and that'll never do, so he must invent something better!

This was a Dr. Seuss title that I missed when I was a kid, but I'm sorry to say I feel like I didn't miss much as I wasn't thrilled with this title reading it as an adult. The fun imaginative parts are just okay, and then Marco's disappointment at the end of having to tell his dad he saw nothing exciting just seems like a letdown. The book was originally written in the 1930s so I have to take it as a product of its time, but I nonetheless chafed at some of the wildly "other" depictions of minorities and the dismissive attitude toward girls (to wit, "Say--anyone could think of that, Jack or Fred or Joe or Nat--Say, even Jane could think of that.). I read this book the first time with my 3-year-old niece and even she didn't seem hugely interested in it. She listened to it attentively but didn't ask to come back to again like some of the other books we shared that day. All in all, I might recommend this for die-hard Dr. Seuss fans, but that's about all. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Jun 7, 2014 |
This was such a fun read! Very imaginative, written with rhymes, and beautifully illustrated! ( )
  pathogenik | Mar 2, 2014 |
"And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street," is a good book by Dr. Seuss about a typical boy and his relationship with his father. His father advises him in the book, "Your eyesight's much too keen. Stop telling such outlandish tales. Stop turning minnows into whales." The boy replies by telling him all the action that was going on Mulberry Street, like the diverse cultures he gets to visualize. ( )
  sabdelaz | Mar 2, 2014 |

As little Marco describes the horse and wagon he saw on Mulberry Street, they are transformed into an elephant and a band wagon with a retinue of police. Ages 4-8.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394844947, Hardcover)

Marco is in a pickle. His father has instructed him to keep his eyes peeled for interesting sights on the way to and from school, but all Marco has seen is a boring old horse and wagon. Imagine if he had something more to report, say, a zebra pulling the wagon. Or better yet, the zebra could be pulling a blue and gold chariot. No, wait! Maybe it should be a reindeer in that harness. Marco's story grows ever more elaborate as he reasons that a reindeer would be happier pulling a sled, then that a really unusual sight would be an elephant with a ruby-bedecked rajah enthroned on top. "Say! That makes a story that no one can beat, / When I say that I saw it on Mulberry Street." Time and again, Marco tops himself until he is positively wound up with excitement and bursts into his home to tell his dad what he saw on Mulberry Street.

Pulitzer-prize winning Dr. Seuss needs no introduction. His ode to the imagination of a child is as fresh and exquisitely outlandish today as it was when first published in 1937. This is a classic that will never fade with age. (Ages 3 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:37 -0400)

A boy imagines a series of incredible sights on his way home from school so that he will have an interesting report to give his father.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,397,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible