And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry…

And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street (Classic Seuss) (1937)

by Dr. Seuss

2,200552,948 (4.02)36

I really enjoyed this book for various reasons. The first being the descriptive language Dr. Seuss uses to portray what the boy is imagining on Mulberry Street. He describes in detail, each individual animal or person the boy adds onto the sleigh. For example when he is describing the reindeer, he uses terms such as "fast", "fleet" and "mighty smart". After he describes the reindeer pulling the sleigh, he describes the blue elephant with "plenty of power and size" and "plenty of fun in his eyes". If there were no pictures to this book, I think a child reading it could easily picture every single bit of detail Dr. Seuss is conveying. Another reason why I liked this book is because of the illustrations. The main idea of this book is to show the reader what the young boy is imagining on his way to school. He starts off with a simple man riding a horse carriage. With each turn of the page, something is either added or changed to the point where the last couple of pages of the book, the whole page is filled with illustrations of everything the boy has added in his mind. The illustrations really capture what the boy is thinking and how wide his imagination has taken him in such a small amount of time. ( )
  brittanyyelle | Sep 1, 2015 |
Marco is the main character and he teaches children how to tell stories. The story is a classic originally written in 1937 published under the pen name Dr. Seuss . It is poetic Marco starts off with a small tale, but ends up with something fantastic and magical. The beginnings of critical thinking combined with imagination and Marco changes the way that he sees everything.
Personal Reaction
I read this when I was a child. This is a great imaginative story, but the lyrics are what makes an impression and makes it easy to memorize.
Classroom Extensions
1. Ask the students to write a paragraph titled, "And to think that I saw it on (their street name )"
2. Take the paragraph written from extension 1 and make a four line rhyme.
3. Draw pictures for the rhymes and put them on the classroom walls for everyone to share. ( )
  Rayma_Powers | Jul 18, 2015 |
Of course this was groundbreaking for its time, and then it was a five star book. It is clearly an earlier work as there are no imaginary characters like Snitches and Whos, and no imaginary words. I never understood the message of the frame, of the father, when I was a kid, but now I'm saying that Dad wants Marco to be able to find the wonderful in the ordinary, to be fully observant. In my library this was in Early Readers, despite words like 'charioteer' - cool. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Summary:In this book, a young boy is walking home from school and looking at his surroundings. His father has told him to really look at what’s around him and everyday his father asks him what he saw on his way from school. All the young boy notices is a horse pulling a wagon. He decides that is really not very exciting so he makes up an entire new scenario using his imagination. As the story goes on, it becomes more and more elaborate. It starts with the horse turning into a zebra and eventually ending with an elephant and two giraffes. The boy adds even more exciting elements like having the mayor come, a band, a police escort, confetti dropping down onto the entire scene, and more. The boy runs out of time to imagine any more and is so excited to tell his dad all about what he “saw”. However, when he gets home he decides to keep it to himself and tell his dad that he didn’t see anything extraordinary today.

Review: I thought this book was very creative and has a unique twist of the imagination of a young boy. The whole thing started because the father wanted the son to be more aware of his surroundings. I think it is important to let children know that imagination is a great thing to have because it encourages creativity. This can be done by adults guiding children, like the father did for the son in this story. Therefore, the main message of this book is to foster imagination. Imagination shows how creative a person can be and it allows people to dream bigger. For example, the boy kept adding more creative elements to his story and that was because he had the imagination to do so. When children enter school and are expected to come up with creative art projects or stories, having imagination will help them be able to do that. ( )
  jbaile14 | Oct 24, 2014 |
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |

As little Marco describes the horse and wagon he saw on Mulberry Street, they are transformed into an elephant and a band wagon with a retinue of police. Ages 4-8.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394844947, Hardcover)

Marco is in a pickle. His father has instructed him to keep his eyes peeled for interesting sights on the way to and from school, but all Marco has seen is a boring old horse and wagon. Imagine if he had something more to report, say, a zebra pulling the wagon. Or better yet, the zebra could be pulling a blue and gold chariot. No, wait! Maybe it should be a reindeer in that harness. Marco's story grows ever more elaborate as he reasons that a reindeer would be happier pulling a sled, then that a really unusual sight would be an elephant with a ruby-bedecked rajah enthroned on top. "Say! That makes a story that no one can beat, / When I say that I saw it on Mulberry Street." Time and again, Marco tops himself until he is positively wound up with excitement and bursts into his home to tell his dad what he saw on Mulberry Street.

Pulitzer-prize winning Dr. Seuss needs no introduction. His ode to the imagination of a child is as fresh and exquisitely outlandish today as it was when first published in 1937. This is a classic that will never fade with age. (Ages 3 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:59 -0400)

A boy imagines a series of incredible sights on his way home from school so that he will have an interesting report to give his father.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,142,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible