And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry…

And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street (1937)

by Dr. Seuss

Marco walks home from school along Mulberry Street and tries to think of something interesting to tell his dad about the sights he sees. But all he sees is a plain horse and wagon and that'll never do, so he must invent something better!

This was a Dr. Seuss title that I missed when I was a kid, but I'm sorry to say I feel like I didn't miss much as I wasn't thrilled with this title reading it as an adult. The fun imaginative parts are just okay, and then Marco's disappointment at the end of having to tell his dad he saw nothing exciting just seems like a letdown. The book was originally written in the 1930s so I have to take it as a product of its time, but I nonetheless chafed at some of the wildly "other" depictions of minorities and the dismissive attitude toward girls (to wit, "Say--anyone could think of that, Jack or Fred or Joe or Nat--Say, even Jane could think of that.). I read this book the first time with my 3-year-old niece and even she didn't seem hugely interested in it. She listened to it attentively but didn't ask to come back to again like some of the other books we shared that day. All in all, I might recommend this for die-hard Dr. Seuss fans, but that's about all. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Jun 7, 2014 |
This was such a fun read! Very imaginative, written with rhymes, and beautifully illustrated! ( )
  pathogenik | Mar 2, 2014 |
"And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street," is a good book by Dr. Seuss about a typical boy and his relationship with his father. His father advises him in the book, "Your eyesight's much too keen. Stop telling such outlandish tales. Stop turning minnows into whales." The boy replies by telling him all the action that was going on Mulberry Street, like the diverse cultures he gets to visualize. ( )
  sabdelaz | Mar 2, 2014 |
“And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street” fits into the category of a picture book, under the genre of contemporary realistic fiction and the main idea focus on a young boy’s imagination as he yearns for his father’s attention. On his way to school, the little boy imagines an extravagant story of a parade of different animals and people. I really enjoyed this book, until the very end. Starting from the beginning, the illustrations are very basic; the first picture does not even have color in the original versions. As the story progresses, the illustrations become colorful and build on each other across the page as the boy’s story gets more extravagant. However, by the end of the story, the boy is sketched in black and white again and he does not tell his father about the intricate, exciting parade he has imagined. I was disappointed by this as it ruins the amazing ideas and thoughts that a child’s imagination can create, and portrays that parents can be very restricting. ( )
  kburdg1 | Mar 1, 2014 |
This children story handles one of the most children psychological issue it is : confidence and how parents can switch it on or off.
how come that it is for both children and adults ?

PDF link for the Goodreaders :
  Soplada | Feb 27, 2014 |

As little Marco describes the horse and wagon he saw on Mulberry Street, they are transformed into an elephant and a band wagon with a retinue of police. Ages 4-8.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394844947, Hardcover)

Marco is in a pickle. His father has instructed him to keep his eyes peeled for interesting sights on the way to and from school, but all Marco has seen is a boring old horse and wagon. Imagine if he had something more to report, say, a zebra pulling the wagon. Or better yet, the zebra could be pulling a blue and gold chariot. No, wait! Maybe it should be a reindeer in that harness. Marco's story grows ever more elaborate as he reasons that a reindeer would be happier pulling a sled, then that a really unusual sight would be an elephant with a ruby-bedecked rajah enthroned on top. "Say! That makes a story that no one can beat, / When I say that I saw it on Mulberry Street." Time and again, Marco tops himself until he is positively wound up with excitement and bursts into his home to tell his dad what he saw on Mulberry Street.

Pulitzer-prize winning Dr. Seuss needs no introduction. His ode to the imagination of a child is as fresh and exquisitely outlandish today as it was when first published in 1937. This is a classic that will never fade with age. (Ages 3 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:37 -0400)

A boy imagines a series of incredible sights on his way home from school so that he will have an interesting report to give his father.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible