And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry…

And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street (1937)

by Dr. Seuss

Recently added byElizabethVasta, private library, AR_bookbird, Bennice21, snugthejoiner, PdRLibrary, nyxluna19

A classic Dr. Seuss children's book. A quality read aloud book that put emphasis on the rhyming aspect.
  Bennice21 | Nov 19, 2015 |
As Dr.Seuss's first book the style and language is the very classic and typical of Seuss. A story of a young boy who creates an imaginary story depicting his walk home, telling of "all" the things he saw on Mulberry Street. As a fan of Dr.Seuss I enjoyed the illustrations, they style of writing and the always interesting creation of words to make a rhyme. The author also chooses to repeat the phrase and to think that I saw it on Mulberry Street multiple times. Repetition allows for the text to be well suited for young readers and sets a level of interest in the reading. I enjoyed this text and have loved reading other piece of work from Dr.Seuss this semester. ( )
  FrancescaOliveira | Oct 27, 2015 |
And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street by Dr. Seuss is a very colorful tale of how a boy re-imagines a boring horse and cart into a grand spectacle of a band and the mayor being pulled by elephants and giraffes. I enjoyed the book because I liked seeing how the boy's imagination grew and grew with each page and how he kept adding on people and animals and everything he could think of to make his journey home more exciting. This book would be very fun to read to a class of second or third graders before doing a creative writing assignment with them. I think it would definitely show them how when they think outside the box, the story becomes very fun and wild. This book, like most classic Dr. Seuss books is written with many rhymes. The illustrations are also the classic Dr. Seuss drawings of strangely shaped and colored animals and all curved lines, no hard edges. ( )
  hallen11 | Oct 12, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book for various reasons. The first being the descriptive language Dr. Seuss uses to portray what the boy is imagining on Mulberry Street. He describes in detail, each individual animal or person the boy adds onto the sleigh. For example when he is describing the reindeer, he uses terms such as "fast", "fleet" and "mighty smart". After he describes the reindeer pulling the sleigh, he describes the blue elephant with "plenty of power and size" and "plenty of fun in his eyes". If there were no pictures to this book, I think a child reading it could easily picture every single bit of detail Dr. Seuss is conveying. Another reason why I liked this book is because of the illustrations. The main idea of this book is to show the reader what the young boy is imagining on his way to school. He starts off with a simple man riding a horse carriage. With each turn of the page, something is either added or changed to the point where the last couple of pages of the book, the whole page is filled with illustrations of everything the boy has added in his mind. The illustrations really capture what the boy is thinking and how wide his imagination has taken him in such a small amount of time. ( )
  brittanyyelle | Sep 1, 2015 |
Marco is the main character and he teaches children how to tell stories. The story is a classic originally written in 1937 published under the pen name Dr. Seuss . It is poetic Marco starts off with a small tale, but ends up with something fantastic and magical. The beginnings of critical thinking combined with imagination and Marco changes the way that he sees everything.
Personal Reaction
I read this when I was a child. This is a great imaginative story, but the lyrics are what makes an impression and makes it easy to memorize.
Classroom Extensions
1. Ask the students to write a paragraph titled, "And to think that I saw it on (their street name )"
2. Take the paragraph written from extension 1 and make a four line rhyme.
3. Draw pictures for the rhymes and put them on the classroom walls for everyone to share. ( )
  Rayma_Powers | Jul 18, 2015 |

As little Marco describes the horse and wagon he saw on Mulberry Street, they are transformed into an elephant and a band wagon with a retinue of police. Ages 4-8.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394844947, Hardcover)

Marco is in a pickle. His father has instructed him to keep his eyes peeled for interesting sights on the way to and from school, but all Marco has seen is a boring old horse and wagon. Imagine if he had something more to report, say, a zebra pulling the wagon. Or better yet, the zebra could be pulling a blue and gold chariot. No, wait! Maybe it should be a reindeer in that harness. Marco's story grows ever more elaborate as he reasons that a reindeer would be happier pulling a sled, then that a really unusual sight would be an elephant with a ruby-bedecked rajah enthroned on top. "Say! That makes a story that no one can beat, / When I say that I saw it on Mulberry Street." Time and again, Marco tops himself until he is positively wound up with excitement and bursts into his home to tell his dad what he saw on Mulberry Street.

Pulitzer-prize winning Dr. Seuss needs no introduction. His ode to the imagination of a child is as fresh and exquisitely outlandish today as it was when first published in 1937. This is a classic that will never fade with age. (Ages 3 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:59 -0400)

A boy imagines a series of incredible sights on his way home from school so that he will have an interesting report to give his father.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,876,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible