Beyond the Chocolate War by Robert Cormier

Beyond the Chocolate War

by Robert Cormier

It’s the latter half of the school year. Jerry is back in town after a recovery period in Canada. David Caroni is suicidal over a failing grade that Brother Leon had given him. Brother Leon is headmaster. But primarily, love-addled Obie no longer feels the old loyalty to Archie and the Vigils and in fact has come to hate him. It’s his plan to have a magic guillotine trick go awry at a school talent night. The trick does not go awry, and Archie lives. Archie is very impressed that Obie tried to kill him and Obie is disgusted and alarmed that being driven to murder is what it would take to shake or rouse the unflappable Archie.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
The conclusion of the Chocolate War, its the last year at Trinity for Archie so could things for the students be about to improve soon?

This time the characters have grown and changed, Archie is no longer untouchable but who will be the one to take him on and will they succeed.

This time the story is more violent, even the faculty are not immune from attack, the story shows how corrupt Trinity as a whole has become and carries a warning that cultures like the Vigils should be tackled not avoided and allowed to continue. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
I enjoyed the sequel way more than the original Chocolate War, which I felt moved too slowly and didn't have much at stake but it's best to read before going for this one). Everything is heightened in this book - there is more suspense, more at stake, with the boys on the verge of graduation. Archie has to pick a new Assigner for the Vigils, while the boys seem to be turning against each other. Those who seemed broken down at the end of the first book came back, and they had new resolve, new emotions, revenge at stake. The ending is all you could want it to be. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
I actually think this is just as good as the first. Maybe even better. ( )
  AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
Well, not to complain about Robert Cormier, the sequel to 'The Chocolate War' was disgusting.
It's' plot needed to be bigger, and better too. You have to try to introduce more characters, all the while while following the main plot, which circles around Jerry Renault and the Virgils. You must understand that this is stil happening. However, all this book is about is Obie getting back at the Archie and the Virgil's for ruining him.
Honestly, I wanted to see more of a conflict through Jerry and the Virgils. Instead, I got Archie trying to set up his boys with a kidnapping, which almost turns into a rape. Truth be told, the book did have. It's strong points, but it needed to have more about what the first book was, which yet said, was and always will be about Jerry Renault and the Virgils.
For my last as you would say, rating issue, the reason I gave it only three stars was because the book needed to have more action. Sure, Obie did try to kill Archie in the end, but the plot of the attempted murder was too weak. I would say, to make a strong murder scene, you would need to make Obie smuggle in a gun, or what not. Anyways, I was impressed that this book reached amazing sales, and I have to say congratulations to Mr. Cormier. Anyways, if Robert came out its another book, I would be positive that the plot of the book would circle around something other than the Virgils, but yet I digress. ( )
  br13geva | Oct 10, 2012 |
Ray Bannister started to build the guillotine the day Jerry Renault returned to Monument.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 044090580X, Mass Market Paperback)

Does Jerry Renault dare to disturb the universe? You wouldn't think that his refusal to sell chocolates during his school's fundraiser would create such a stir, but it does; it's as if the whole school comes apart at the seams. To some, Jerry is a hero, but to others, he becomes a scapegoat--a target for their pent-up hatred. And Jerry? He's just trying to stand up for what he believes, but perhaps there is no way for him to escape becoming a pawn in this game of control; students are pitted against other students, fighting for honor--or are they fighting for their lives? In 1974, author Robert Cormier dared to disturb our universe when this book was first published. And now, with a new introduction by the celebrated author, The Chocolate War stands ready to shock a new group of teen readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:41 -0400)

Dark deeds continue at Trinity High School, climaxing in a public demonstration of one student's homemade guillotine. Sequel to "The Chocolate War."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,957,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible