Hi, Cat (Picture Books) by Ezra Jack Keats

Hi, Cat (Picture Books) (original 1970; edition 1999)

by Ezra Jack Keats, Ezra Jack Keats (Illustrator)

Series: Peter (6)

Member:mrsctw
Title:Hi, Cat (Picture Books)
Authors:Ezra Jack Keats
Other authors:Ezra Jack Keats (Illustrator)
Info:Viking Juvenile (1999), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:picture book, cat, making inferences, noting details, questioning

Hi, Cat! by Ezra Jack Keats (1970)

I loved this book. This book is about Archie seeing a stray black cat in the streets and just merely greeting the cat, the cat followed Archie. All throughout the book, Archie was trying to be funny, and the entertainment of all the kids on the street, but the cat kept getting in the way and ruining Archie's jokes which causes the audience of kids to leave slowly. When Archie was going home for the night, he noticed that the cat was waiting for him in front of his house. He then realized that the cat wasn't trying to ruin his day, the cat just "kinda liked" him. ( )
  nomerbasic | Oct 4, 2018 |
This is a book about a little boy named Archie who finds a cat on his way to hang out with Peter. Peter is a familiar character that has shown up in other Keat's books I have read. Archie and Peter are attempting to entertain the other kids on the block with the cat Archie found and Peter's dog, Willie. The cat scared everyone away ending Archie and Peter's good time, and everyone heads home. This book is just like many other Keats' books I have read. The illustrations are also similar taking up the entire page with a lot of detail. ( )
  kgautier | Oct 1, 2018 |
This is a story about a boy named Archie who was constantly being bothered by a cat he met on the street. The cat ruined Archie's performance, and Archie was annoyed with the cat at first. He then later realized that maybe the cat was not trying to bother him, but the cat liked him.
This story by Ezra Jack Keats is similar to his other story "A Letter to Amy." There is similarities in the illustrations, as well as the characters. Both stories have characters named Peter and a dog named Willie. Also, I noticed that both stories left the reader with many questions. After finishing this story, I had questions like "Why did Archie perform?" and "Did Archie and the cat end up being friends?".
I think this is Keats purpose, to leave readers with our own imagination and thoughts as to what could happen next. ( )
  ctran1 | Sep 13, 2018 |
This is about a boy named Archie who is on his way to perform a show with his friend Peters, but on his way stops to say hi to a cat. When it comes time for the show something goes terribly wrong. The cat followed Archie and caused chaos during the show causing all the audience to leave. ( )
  NanToure | Nov 26, 2017 |
I spotted this at the library today and gave it a read, as it was one by this authur I'd never read before.

This was a fun story about an adorable cat who, once acknowledged, sticks around a little too long and causes some playful little trouble. Archie doesn't blame the cat, though, so it's all good. I loved the simple, creative fun he and his friends have. Reminds me of similar times. And it's so beautifully portrayed through the art in this book. What a treasure. ( )
  katekintail | May 29, 2016 |

Scholastic Reading Level: 2.8

On his way to hang out with the neighborhood kids, Archie very innocently greets a stray cat who follows him and gets in the way. The cat ruins everything - Archie's street show is a mess and his audience drifts away. But things aren't all bad: when Archie goes, the cat follows him all the way home, too!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:21 -0400)

Archie's day would have been great if he had not started it by greeting the new cat on the block.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,285,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible