Third Girl by Agatha Christie

Third Girl (1966)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (34), Ariadne Oliver (6)

English (30)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All (33)
I liked this one. the story was very complex. I actually guessed the ending pretty early on, but I second guessed myself and by halfway through, I was certain my pet theory was incorrect, but I had been right all along. Recommended to any Poirot fans. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
Third Girl - Christie
Audio performance by Hugh Fraser
4 stars

Poirot and Ariadne Oliver put their aging heads together,, little grey cells and errant hair pieces, to disentangle the clues and solve the murder. It wasn’t only Poirot who was aging. Agatha Christie was having a hard time with the groovy sixties drug scene. This was not one of her best, but I did like that Poirot managed to keep his head up to soothe his damaged pride with the perfect denouement. ( )
  msjudy | May 4, 2017 |
Poirot appears as a rather pompous man in this story, which might have worked better with Miss Marple. A girl thinks she might have committed a murder, but isn't sure. The plot moves around the country in a fast-paced style. A good light read. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
I really did like it, up until the next to last chapter when M. Poirot was sitting in his chair "thinking"... That was boring as Christie liked to confuse her readers w/ Red Herrings.

A young woman, Norma, is sharing a flat with two others, she is commonly known as "the third girl"... Her father has recently returned from South Africa w/ his new & younger wife, who has had mysterious bouts of gastritis whenever Norma visits.

Norma is suffering from "madness" and delusions and goes to visit M. Poirot, saying that she believes that she has committed a murder, but abruptly leaves telling M. Poirot, that he is "too old" to help her.

M. Poirot cadges an invitation to meet Norma's family via Mrs. Ariadne Oliver, who then also becomes involved in the mystery....

Added into the mix is Norma's great uncle, who is known to M. Poirot from sensitive war "business" and may be missing some very important historical documents, the Uncle's secretary, Norma's boyfriend, Norma's two flat mates, & the upstairs neighbor who has fallen from her balcony to her death.....

I caught on to a good part of the mystery & who done it. I didn't like or dislike the characters, but this was a good steady read. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
From the moment he meets her, the young girl strikes Hercule Poirot as peculiar. In fact, everything about her - from her tousled appearance to her perplexed stare - seems too strange; downright abnormal to him. Yet it's her vague confession to a murder she's not even entirely sure she committed that really throws the little Belgian detective for a loop. In all his years, Monsieur Poirot has never encountered such an unusual child.

The mystery becomes even darker and more complicated when he finds out that the odd little duck has suddenly flown the proverbial coop. What's more: No one knows where she may have gone, nor does anyone seem to care that she's missing. So, the question is: Just what's her secret? No one's talking. But Monsieur Poirot suspects that the answer is going to be a killer...

Over the past several years, I've actually read a total of eight of Agatha Christie's books - this is the fourth book that I have read in her Hercule Poirot Series. In my opinion, this was certainly an enjoyable read for me, but still incredibly intricate and confusing in parts. This perhaps wasn't Agatha Christie's best book in my opinion, but in typical Agatha Christie style; I was completely in the dark when it came to revealing the 'who-done-it' moment in the story. Overall, I would give this book a B+! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | May 16, 2015 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Janus, EddaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laurel, FaithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tetri, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Norah Blackmore
Hercule Poirot was sitting at the breakfast table.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425174719, Mass Market Paperback)

Everything about the young girl strikes Poirot as odd--from her confession to a murder she didn't commit to her disappearance. What's her secret? Poirot suspects that it's going to be a killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:24 -0400)

Three single girls shared the same London flat. The first worked as a secretary; the second was an artist; the third, who came to Poirot for help, disappeared believing she was a murderer. Now there were rumors of revolvers, flick-knives and bloodstains. But, without hard evidence, it would take all Poirot's tenacity to establish whether the third girl was guilty, innocent or insane.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,386,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible