The Pain and the Great One by Judy Blume

The Pain and the Great One

by Judy Blume

Series: The Pain and the Great One (1)

I really enjoyed this book since I could relate to some of the aspects of the book. The first thing I liked was it showed both sides of the story which is refreshing to see since most of the time you only get one side of the story. I also liked that the book was split into two parts so that way you saw one whole side before you saw the other. This is a great book for students who are learning about argumentative writing so that way they can see different versions of it. The overall message of this book is that you may see something one way but someone else will see the same situation in a different way. ( )
  escalc1 | Mar 31, 2016 |
35 months - Picked this up in hardcover at the thrift store. I loved reading all of Judy Blume's books as a kid and I hope O will enjoy them too. O was smiling through this whole story and quite enjoyed it maybe because she knows she'll never have to worry about a younger brother or sister. I can just imagine she's thanking phew glad I don't have to deal with that! ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
This is a great book written from the point of view of two siblings. The book is divided into two halves and the first half the girl describes her perspective and view of her brother, The Pain. Then he describes his take on the situation with is sister, The Great One. The book is very realistic and I think any one with siblings could relate. You can see the same situation being perceived differently and clearly understand point of view. It is humorous and real. Kids from mid elementary through middle school would enjoy this book. It would be great to have kids create charts analyzing the same events from both perspectives. ( )
  lpierson14 | Feb 21, 2015 |
Being that Judy Blume is one of my favorite authors, it was no surprise that I enjoyed reading this book. One reason I liked this book was because of how Blume wrote it from two different perspectives, the sisters point of view and the brothers point of view. She first starts out with the sister complaining about "the pain" and everything the pain, or her little brother, and everything he does to annoy her. Then she changes the perspective of the story and the brother then begins to complain about "the great one," or his big sister, and everything she does to annoy him. This allows the reader to get a full insight on each characters' perspective and point of view. Another reason I liked this book was because of the relatable plot; it can be assumed that most readers have siblings and/or an extended relative that they have a rivalry with. This story addresses that issue very well and does so in a comical way, making the read even more enjoyable. The big idea of this story is that even though siblings may be annoying, you can't live without them. ( )
  KaraHankins | Nov 10, 2014 |
I liked this book because it reminded me of a typical family with rivalry siblings. I liked the characters in this book because they were real characters with a family and siblings that anyone could relate to. For example, an annoying, cry baby brother and a know it all older sister. I also liked the illustrations in this book because they really help readers visualize what is going on in the text. For example, the text says, "When I got a phone call he danced all around me singing stupid songs" and the illustration shows the older sister on the phone and the brother dancing around bothering her. The illustrations really enhanced the story. The big idea in this book is to cherish your siblings and family. ( )
  abreid1 | Nov 18, 2013 |

Blume, Judyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ohi, Debbie RidpathIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trivas, IreneIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the original Pain and the Great One with Love

An eight-year-old girl, "The Great One," and her six-year-old brother, "The Pain," state their cases about each other and who is best loved by their parents

An IRA-CBC Children's Choice.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:17 -0400)

A six-year-old (The Pain) and his eight-year-old sister (The Great One) see each other as troublemakers and the best-loved in the family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible