The Pain and the Great One by Judy Blume

The Pain and the Great One

by Judy Blume

Other authors: Irene Trivas (Illustrator)

Series: The Pain and the Great One (1)

Being that Judy Blume is one of my favorite authors, it was no surprise that I enjoyed reading this book. One reason I liked this book was because of how Blume wrote it from two different perspectives, the sisters point of view and the brothers point of view. She first starts out with the sister complaining about "the pain" and everything the pain, or her little brother, and everything he does to annoy her. Then she changes the perspective of the story and the brother then begins to complain about "the great one," or his big sister, and everything she does to annoy him. This allows the reader to get a full insight on each characters' perspective and point of view. Another reason I liked this book was because of the relatable plot; it can be assumed that most readers have siblings and/or an extended relative that they have a rivalry with. This story addresses that issue very well and does so in a comical way, making the read even more enjoyable. The big idea of this story is that even though siblings may be annoying, you can't live without them. ( )
  KaraHankins | Nov 10, 2014 |
I liked this book because it reminded me of a typical family with rivalry siblings. I liked the characters in this book because they were real characters with a family and siblings that anyone could relate to. For example, an annoying, cry baby brother and a know it all older sister. I also liked the illustrations in this book because they really help readers visualize what is going on in the text. For example, the text says, "When I got a phone call he danced all around me singing stupid songs" and the illustration shows the older sister on the phone and the brother dancing around bothering her. The illustrations really enhanced the story. The big idea in this book is to cherish your siblings and family. ( )
  abreid1 | Nov 18, 2013 |
This book touches on the very common and relatable issues felt by most siblings at one time or another. The older sister sees her brother as nothing but a pain, yet realizes that things aren't as much as fun with out him around. The younger brother sees his sister as this great one who thinks she is so much better than he is. I love this book because it expresses that fact that there are two sides to every story and experience. It also shows that when it comes to family, sometimes we can't live with them... but can't live without them either. ( )
  KellyLPickett | Apr 21, 2013 |
This is a great read for early grade school students, ages 6-10. Students will learn about many of the issues and problems that come along with having a sibling. The reader will gain an understanding of both sides of the spectrum, as the perspectives of both the brother and sister are told. I will definitely use this in my teaching because I experienced many of the same problems as a child. It is important that students learn how to cope with others, even when they do not like each other.
  paulweber | Dec 3, 2012 |
I like that this book deals with sibling rivalry, fairness, and then goes into perspectives, which are all themes that kids can relate to while learning a lesson. ( )
  bamabreezin4 | Feb 19, 2010 |

Blume, Judyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Trivas, IreneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To the original Pain and the Great One with Love

An eight-year-old girl, "The Great One," and her six-year-old brother, "The Pain," state their cases about each other and who is best loved by their parents

An IRA-CBC Children's Choice.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:29 -0400)

A six-year-old (The Pain) and his eight-year-old sister (The Great One) see each other as troublemakers and the best-loved in the family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,441,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible