Swimmy by Leo Lionni

Swimmy (1963)

by Leo Lionni

2,529None2,390 (4.01)12
2.9 (18) animals (86) Caldecott (99) Caldecott Honor (80) camouflage (19) children (22) children's (62) children's literature (19) cooperation (96) courage (28) differences (21) fantasy (19) fiction (141) fish (290) friends (29) friendship (66) L (24) Leadership (19) Leo Lionni (73) Level L (18) ocean (222) ocean life (16) oceans (25) picture book (199) problem solving (69) sea (36) sea creatures (15) sea life (18) teamwork (130) working together (35)

"Swimmy" was an okay book. I thought that the illustrations were neat and I liked the big picture of different not being a bad thing; however, I thought the story was a little slow. My favorite part was the ending when Swimmy comes up with the idea of all the small fish joining together to create one big fish for protection. I thought that it was a neat idea, especially when Swimmy took his place as the eye. ( )
  CatherineWillett | Mar 24, 2014 |
"Swimmy," brings to life the courage of one little black fish among a school of red fish. With his idea of teamwork, he taught the fish to swim together so that they learned to swim like one giant fish. His place was the eye of the fish formation that they swam in so they could chase the other big fish away. I love how they made the difference of one fish the key to helping save the whole group.

As a mentor text, I would use this book for the sequencing of events. For comprehension, I would use questions for students to identify the main idea, how did Swimmy lose his famiy, and what made him feel happy again. ( )
  mheitz | Mar 3, 2014 |
Swimmy is the only black fish out of his family. He is also the fastest swimmer of the bunch. When a big fish comes along and eats all the fish, only Swimmy gets away. He is all alone in the ocean. He comes across a new school of fish and makes friends. Swimmy is worried that his new friends will get eaten, so he shows them how they can pretend to shape out a big fish so other big fish will not eat them.

This story is really well illustrated. I like how the illustration demonstrate what a small fish in a big ocean looks like. I think this book is great for children in third grade and below. It demonstrates how hard it is to lose loved ones, but how to stay strong. I also like that it demonstrates teamwork and its importance. I think this book an easily accompany many classroom activities and will definitely engage students in its content. ( )
  breksarah | Feb 26, 2014 |
Swimmy is the only black fish out of all his red brothers and sisters. He is the fastest swimmer so when a big fish comes along and eats all the little fish Swimmy is the only one who could escape. He is left in this huge ocean and the illustrations have wonderful scale because we can tell how large everything in comparison to Swimmy. He comes across a new school of fish and shows them how they can swim together in the form of a big fish so they won't get eaten. This has a beautiful moral for children that if people come together then anything is possible. The illustrations are pretty and ethereal. I would recommend for grades Pre-K-2. ( )
  Imandayeh | Feb 13, 2014 |
The art in this book is amazing and helps the story along wonderfully. I don't think the reader could imagine what the big fish the little fish made at the end would look like without the pictures. The illustrations are prints made with recognizable things such as doilies. Aside from the wonderful lesson the story provides, perhaps children would enjoy this book before an art project or making their own book. It really has some good ideas. The story itself is about a lonely fish who lost his school to a predator fish. He wonders sadly through the ocean seeing a verity of ocean creatures. This is a wonderful tool to introduce sea creatures with. In the end he finds a new school and helps their survival by bringing forth his own ideas. A great lesson in team work! It's also famous around the world and you can find it in various languages if multiculturalism is the topic of study. Easy read. First graders would be ok with it. ( )
  DayDreamBear | Feb 13, 2014 |
For my friend, Alfredo Segre who gave Swimmy his name.
A happy little school of fish lived in a corner of the sea somewhere.

"Swimmy" is about a litte black fish who is the fastest swimmer in the sea. When the big fish come and eat his fish friends, he is able to get away in time because he swims so well. Even though he is grateful for his ability to be a great swimmer, he misses his friends and is sad he has lost them. When he meets new little fish and encounters more big fish, Swimmy thinks of a great way to save the little fish from the big fish. As a result, his friends and he can swim together forever. This book is a great story to read to children of all ages. It is a story about teamwork and helping others in need. The book also teaches children to never underestimate a person's size.

Deep in the sea there lives a happy school of little fish. Their watery world is full of wonders, but there is also danger, and the little fish are afraid to come out of hiding . . . until Swimmy comes along. Swimmy shows his friends how—with ingenuity and team work—they can overcome any danger. With its graceful text and stunning artwork, this Caldecott Honor Book deserves a place on every child’s shelf.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:58 -0400)

A little black fish in a school of red fish figures out a way of protecting them all from their natural enemies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,471,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible