Swimmy by Leo Lionni

Swimmy (1963)

by Leo Lionni

Swimmy is a book that is a little odd in nature. This story has a few good messages, such as, the idea that being different is okay and the idea that working as a team can be a good idea to get a job done. Also, another lesson is that Swimmy took a bad situation and turned it into a good one. For example, although everyone else in the school were eaten, he took it as an opportunity to explore the ocean and meet some other animals and on this journey he ended up meeting a new school of fish.I think that this book was not one of my favorites because of the pictures. The pictures in the book seemed a little gloomy and depressing. One one page there was a picture that looked like smeared paint. The pictures were not attention grabbers and for children that can not read, this could be disappointing. If there were some different and more vibrant pictures, I feel as though this could have made the book a little more interesting and effective for readers in this age group. ( )
  abenne6 | Sep 17, 2014 |
Swimmy is a book full of descriptive writing that goes perfectly with the art work in the illustrations. The visual descriptions make the child use their imagination when they look at the illustrations that are in a way abstract enough to be able to represent a variety of things. A very unique book that tells the story of a fish very different from the rest of his family but after much adventure and discover he learned how to lead his family to safety and found his place in the group.
  vanessa.wallace | Jun 6, 2014 |
Swimmy, a lone survivor of an attack by a predator finds a new group of friends and helps them work together to outwit the big fish. Swimmy becomes the eye for the group. ( )
  Tina_Ervin | Jun 3, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. I like the art work in it. It is so unique. I also like how each one of his stories there is a lesson to be learned in the end. ( )
  SamanthaMulkey | Apr 24, 2014 |
"Swimmy" was an okay book. I thought that the illustrations were neat and I liked the big picture of different not being a bad thing; however, I thought the story was a little slow. My favorite part was the ending when Swimmy comes up with the idea of all the small fish joining together to create one big fish for protection. I thought that it was a neat idea, especially when Swimmy took his place as the eye. ( )
  CatherineWillett | Mar 24, 2014 |
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
For my friend, Alfredo Segre who gave Swimmy his name.
A happy little school of fish lived in a corner of the sea somewhere.

"Swimmy" is about a litte black fish who is the fastest swimmer in the sea. When the big fish come and eat his fish friends, he is able to get away in time because he swims so well. Even though he is grateful for his ability to be a great swimmer, he misses his friends and is sad he has lost them. When he meets new little fish and encounters more big fish, Swimmy thinks of a great way to save the little fish from the big fish. As a result, his friends and he can swim together forever. This book is a great story to read to children of all ages. It is a story about teamwork and helping others in need. The book also teaches children to never underestimate a person's size.

Deep in the sea there lives a happy school of little fish. Their watery world is full of wonders, but there is also danger, and the little fish are afraid to come out of hiding . . . until Swimmy comes along. Swimmy shows his friends how—with ingenuity and team work—they can overcome any danger. With its graceful text and stunning artwork, this Caldecott Honor Book deserves a place on every child’s shelf.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:58 -0400)

A little black fish in a school of red fish figures out a way of protecting them all from their natural enemies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,306,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible