Swimmy by Leo Lionni

Swimmy (1963)

by Leo Lionni

I remember reading this book when I was younger and not liking it as much. Now that I read it, I do enjoy it more, but it is still not my favorite.Swimmy is about a fish that cannot find his place to belong in the big, scary sea. I appreciate the development of the character, as he finds that there may not be a place for him with fish that look like him, but he finds a place in a bigger picture where he belongs. The style of illustration is very detailed and helps the reader develop the plot, but I do not think I like the color contrasts enough. The darker, muted colors take away from the story in my opinion. The author may have used this palette to better express sadness, loneliness or being afraid, but I think there still could have been a larger contrast in color. The style of writing is simple, but I understand it was meant to be that way as it is telling the story of one small fish in his quest to find a place to belong. ( )
  Sdaile2 | Apr 30, 2016 |
Swimmy is a wonderful and colorful book to share with young children. It is also appropriate for children who are learning to read in Kindergarten and 1st grade. The story shows us the many reasons fish need to stay in groups in order to survive in the ocean. The story incorporated the ideas that not one fish is the same and that their differences help them survive. The beautiful illustrations allow young children the opportunity to understand how fish cooperate with one another. By working together these fish are able to travel safely and scare away other large fish that may harm them. The story is simple and the illustrations are elaborate! ( )
  mblodgett15 | Apr 18, 2016 |
I picked this book because it was part of our author share demonstration in class. For this book I would have students illustrate a picture of their favorite part of the book and explain why that part was their favorite. ( )
  ksd011 | Mar 16, 2016 |
I really liked this story! I thought the illustrations were really interesting and worked very well with the tone of the text. Specifically on pages 5-6, the color scheme is gray and white- representing a more sad tone. The text also set this sad tone as well. The big idea or take away of this book, that I found, was the idea of teamwork. The book definitely pushes readers to think about working with others and broadening their viewpoints on others’ strengths and weaknesses. While taking away this, student may also be able to take away the idea of believing in oneself and setting goals! ( )
  hfetty1 | Mar 7, 2016 |
Summary:

This picture book is about a tiny fish named Swimmy. One day he escapes being eaten by a big fish, and goes on an adventure. He meets all kinds of new friends like a jellyfish and a lobster. Eventually, he finds a new family to have adventures with.

Personal Reaction:

I loved the artwork in the book because I always find the watercolors to be very soothing. This book was given to me by one of my old elementary school teachers to help me not be so scared of making new friends.

Classroom Extension Ideas:

1) In the classroom, I could have the children paint sea creatures using watercolors like the ones in the book.
2) We could all try to make a big fish together, and take a picture to send home to their families.
  Jenna.McMillen | Feb 10, 2016 |
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
For my friend, Alfredo Segre who gave Swimmy his name.
A happy little school of fish lived in a corner of the sea somewhere.

"Swimmy" is about a litte black fish who is the fastest swimmer in the sea. When the big fish come and eat his fish friends, he is able to get away in time because he swims so well. Even though he is grateful for his ability to be a great swimmer, he misses his friends and is sad he has lost them. When he meets new little fish and encounters more big fish, Swimmy thinks of a great way to save the little fish from the big fish. As a result, his friends and he can swim together forever. This book is a great story to read to children of all ages. It is a story about teamwork and helping others in need. The book also teaches children to never underestimate a person's size.

Deep in the sea there lives a happy school of little fish. Their watery world is full of wonders, but there is also danger, and the little fish are afraid to come out of hiding . . . until Swimmy comes along. Swimmy shows his friends how—with ingenuity and team work—they can overcome any danger. With its graceful text and stunning artwork, this Caldecott Honor Book deserves a place on every child’s shelf.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:54 -0400)

A little black fish in a school of red fish figures out a way of protecting them all from their natural enemies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible