Swimmy by Leo Lionni

Swimmy (1963)

by Leo Lionni

I thought that the book, Swimmy, was very interesting. The level of the language of the book is relatively easy but I think that the messaged conveyed is what stuck out the most to me. The message may go above some students' heads but its an overall good book to use to teach about courage and perseverance. All in all, the language in the book was clear, yet not very descriptive. The characters did not seem realistic as the setting takes place in the ocean. Sea creatures do not talk but personification was incorporated in order for the story to be more appealing to children.
  sbanke1 | Oct 6, 2015 |
I really liked this book for several reasons. The illustrations are beautiful, lifelike, and filled with many colors. The colors of the illustrations also match the mood of the pages very well. For example, after all of the little red fish got eaten by the tuna fish and swimmy was the only one who escaped, the text on the next page says, “ He swam away in the deep wet world. He was scared, lonely and very sad.” That text is accompanied by an illustration of swimmy swimming alone through the ocean, which is a very dull gray color. The dull gray color is a great representation of the sadness and loneliness swimmy is feeling. I also really liked the loaded, descriptive language throughout the book. On one page, when swimmy is exploring through the ocean, he sees a bright colorful jellyfish and the text says, “He saw a medusa made of rainbow jelly…” This book also presents more than one lesson to its readers. One of these lessons is that it is ok to be different and that you should be proud of the traits that make you different from others. Another lesson that comes from this book is about the importance of leadership and teamwork. Swimmy is a leader in this book; he teaches the new school of little red fish how to swim close together, each in their own place. Together, they formed one giant fish, with Swimmy as its eye. They swam in this formation and scared away the bigger fish. ( )
  LBundi1 | Oct 4, 2015 |
Leo Lionni presents a dark yet adorable little story about a fish named Swimmy who does not fit in with his family because they are all red and he is the only one that is black. After a tragic accident where Swimmy’s family is eaten by a large tuna, he is left on his own only to find a new family he can protect with his differences. He teaches the red fish to work together to form a massive fish shape and Swimmy is the eye because he is black. This scares off the tuna leaving Swimmy a hero. This book teachers children to be proud of their differences and despite these differences, to work together. I love this book because it starts off with a sad and lonely mood, and closes with a sweet and cheerful ending. The theme of this story is about working together despite the differences; Swimmy saved everyone by promoting teamwork. I approve of this book because it is adorably innocent, teaches an important lesson about teamwork and inspires diversity! ( )
  EllieCoe | Sep 21, 2015 |
A beautiful story of a fish who was unlike any other, and who used it for his advantage to bring his family together again. Delightful read. The art was also outstanding. ( )
  gracelovera | Sep 8, 2015 |
While reading Swimmy, I found points I liked and did not like. I liked the descriptive writing, and I did not like the illustration that was used to represent the story.
The author used great descriptive writing that helped the storyline. For example, “ A forest of seaweeds growing from sugar- candy rocks..”, and “ lobster, who walked about like a water- moving machine..”. I thought the descriptions brought the objects to life.
However, the pictures I had in mind from the descriptions did not match the illustration on the pages. The pictures did not emphasize the idea that the seaweed was to look like rock candy. The illustration also made it hard to read the story. On some pages the text was written on top of the painted designs, which made it hard to read because the colors were dark and the text was thin and black.
The lesson that I took away from this book was it is not always bad to stand out from the rest of the crowd. Swimmy was different then the rest of the fish in his pack, which helped save his life and helped him become a leader in the new pack of fish. ( )
  Abrusci141 | Sep 8, 2015 |
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
For my friend, Alfredo Segre who gave Swimmy his name.
A happy little school of fish lived in a corner of the sea somewhere.

"Swimmy" is about a litte black fish who is the fastest swimmer in the sea. When the big fish come and eat his fish friends, he is able to get away in time because he swims so well. Even though he is grateful for his ability to be a great swimmer, he misses his friends and is sad he has lost them. When he meets new little fish and encounters more big fish, Swimmy thinks of a great way to save the little fish from the big fish. As a result, his friends and he can swim together forever. This book is a great story to read to children of all ages. It is a story about teamwork and helping others in need. The book also teaches children to never underestimate a person's size.

Deep in the sea there lives a happy school of little fish. Their watery world is full of wonders, but there is also danger, and the little fish are afraid to come out of hiding . . . until Swimmy comes along. Swimmy shows his friends how—with ingenuity and team work—they can overcome any danger. With its graceful text and stunning artwork, this Caldecott Honor Book deserves a place on every child’s shelf.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:54 -0400)

A little black fish in a school of red fish figures out a way of protecting them all from their natural enemies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,775,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible