Swimmy by Leo Lionni

Swimmy (1963)

by Leo Lionni

Recently added byackano1, HHRC, dgif4d, kbozzello, cornerstoneroom1, private library, GLELC, NVCCCDC

Swimmy is a book full of descriptive writing that goes perfectly with the art work in the illustrations. The visual descriptions make the child use their imagination when they look at the illustrations that are in a way abstract enough to be able to represent a variety of things. A very unique book that tells the story of a fish very different from the rest of his family but after much adventure and discover he learned how to lead his family to safety and found his place in the group.
  vanessa.wallace | Jun 6, 2014 |
Swimmy, a lone survivor of an attack by a predator finds a new group of friends and helps them work together to outwit the big fish. Swimmy becomes the eye for the group. ( )
  Tina_Ervin | Jun 3, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. I like the art work in it. It is so unique. I also like how each one of his stories there is a lesson to be learned in the end. ( )
  SamanthaMulkey | Apr 24, 2014 |
"Swimmy" was an okay book. I thought that the illustrations were neat and I liked the big picture of different not being a bad thing; however, I thought the story was a little slow. My favorite part was the ending when Swimmy comes up with the idea of all the small fish joining together to create one big fish for protection. I thought that it was a neat idea, especially when Swimmy took his place as the eye. ( )
  CatherineWillett | Mar 24, 2014 |
"Swimmy," brings to life the courage of one little black fish among a school of red fish. With his idea of teamwork, he taught the fish to swim together so that they learned to swim like one giant fish. His place was the eye of the fish formation that they swam in so they could chase the other big fish away. I love how they made the difference of one fish the key to helping save the whole group.

As a mentor text, I would use this book for the sequencing of events. For comprehension, I would use questions for students to identify the main idea, how did Swimmy lose his famiy, and what made him feel happy again. ( )
  mheitz | Mar 3, 2014 |
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
For my friend, Alfredo Segre who gave Swimmy his name.
A happy little school of fish lived in a corner of the sea somewhere.

"Swimmy" is about a litte black fish who is the fastest swimmer in the sea. When the big fish come and eat his fish friends, he is able to get away in time because he swims so well. Even though he is grateful for his ability to be a great swimmer, he misses his friends and is sad he has lost them. When he meets new little fish and encounters more big fish, Swimmy thinks of a great way to save the little fish from the big fish. As a result, his friends and he can swim together forever. This book is a great story to read to children of all ages. It is a story about teamwork and helping others in need. The book also teaches children to never underestimate a person's size.

Deep in the sea there lives a happy school of little fish. Their watery world is full of wonders, but there is also danger, and the little fish are afraid to come out of hiding . . . until Swimmy comes along. Swimmy shows his friends how—with ingenuity and team work—they can overcome any danger. With its graceful text and stunning artwork, this Caldecott Honor Book deserves a place on every child’s shelf.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:58 -0400)

A little black fish in a school of red fish figures out a way of protecting them all from their natural enemies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,366,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible