Three Junes by Julia Glass

Three Junes (2002)

by Julia Glass

Divisadero by Michael Ondaatje (eveninglightwriter)
    eveninglightwriter: While Ondaatje is definitly more poetic in his descriptions, Julia Glass is just as enjoyable. I really felt myself swept away by both books. There seems to be a strong sense of place and time that both writers portray beautifully.

English (69)  Italian (1)  All languages (70)
I couldn't finish this one. The characters are so dry.... The story didn't hold me. ( )
  saradiann | Jun 29, 2014 |
I'm reading this now. The first part grabbed me. The section I'm in now isn't holding my attention as much.
  Betty.Ann.Beam | Nov 30, 2013 |
I liked Three Junes more than I'd expected to. The first of the three sections isn't my favorite -- happily, it was short! It's lovely on audio, too. ( )
  erelsi183 | Nov 18, 2013 |
This is the story of a family told in three parts: the three Junes of the title. In part one, the father, recently widowed, takes a cruise to Greece. The second part tells the story of the eldest son and his friend, Mal; gay men living in New York and their respective families. Finally, part three ties the stories together five years on. Well written, good characters, but it jjust didn't grab me. Maybe a bit too "made for TV movie"-type plot? Some stereotyping of secondary characters? Hard to say why this didn't work as well as it could have. ( )
  LynnB | May 2, 2013 |
I got about1/3 of the way through this before I realized that I just wasn't in the mood for it. It's beautifully written and one day I will enjoy it. But my attention span is just not up for detailed, literary writing like this. i will come back to it!
  KristySP | Apr 21, 2013 |
Assuming that our energies are sufficient, love is interminable.

-Jim Harrison, The Road Home
For Alex and Oliver, my extraordinary sons
Paul chose Greece for its predictable whiteness: the blanching heat by day, the rush of stars at night, the glint of the lime-washed houses crowding its coast.

Jour de juin construit sous la forme d'un triptyque où se succèdent trois étés dans la vie de McLeod . À la mort de sa femme , Paul entreprend un voyage en Grèce . Là-bas , il s'éprend d'une jeune artiste peintre . Son fils aîné, Fenno, a fui l'Écosse pour New York où il tient une librairie ; il noue mal une relation particulière avec son voisin , critique musical , flamboyant gay , atteint du sida . La perte douloureuse qui s'en suivra bouleversera sa vie . Jours de juin tisse sa trame entre le passé et le présent , soulignant la fragilité des personnages , leurs moments de grâce et leur quête d'un pays où ils espèrent échapper aux pièges de l'existence et à la solitude .

An astonishing first novel that traces the lives of a Scottish family over a decade as they confront the joys and longings, fulfillments and betrayals of love in all its guises.

In June of 1989 Paul McLeod, a newspaper publisher and recent widower, travels to Greece, where he falls for a young American artist and reflects on the complicated truth about his marriage. . ..Six years later, again in June, Paul’s death draws his three grown sons and their families back to their ancestral home. Fenno, the eldest, a wry, introspective gay man, narrates the events of this unforeseen reunion. Far from his straitlaced expatriate life as a bookseller in Greenwich Village, Fenno is stunned by a series of revelations that threaten his carefully crafted defenses. . .. Four years farther on, in yet another June, a chance meeting on the Long Island shore brings Fenno together with Fern Olitsky, the artist who once captivated his father. Now pregnant, Fern must weigh her guilt about the past against her wishes for the future and decide what family means to her. In prose rich with compassion and wit, Three Junes paints a haunting portrait of love’s redemptive powers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:48 -0400)

"Three Junes is a novel set on both sides of the Atlantic during three fateful summers in the lives of a Scottish family. In June of 1989, Paul McLeod, the recently widowed patriarch, becomes infatuated with a young American artist while traveling through Greece and is compelled to relive the secret sorrows of his marriage. Six years later, Paul's death reunites his sons at Tealing, their idyllic childhood home, where Fenno, the eldest, faces a choice that puts him at the center of his family's future. A lovable, slightly repressed gay man, Fenno leads the life of an aloof expatriate in the West Village, running a shop filled with books and birdwatching gear. He believes himself safe from all emotional entanglements - until a worldly neighbor presents him with an extraordinary gift and a seductive photographer makes him an unwitting subject. Each man draws Fenno into territories of the heart he has never braved before, leading him toward an almost unbearable loss that will reveal to him the nature of love." "Love in its limitless forms - between husband and wife, between lovers, between people and animals, between parents and children - is the force that moves these characters' lives, which collide again, in yet another June, over a Long Island dinner table. This time it is Fenno who meets and captivates Fern, the same woman who captivated his father in Greece ten years before. Now pregnant with a son of her own, Fern, like Fenno and Paul before him, must make peace with her past to embrace her future. Elegantly detailed yet full of emotional suspense, often as comic as it is sad, Three Junes is a glorious triptych about how we learn to live, and live fully, beyond incurable grief and betrayals of the heart - how family ties, both those we're born into and those we make, can offer us redemption and joy."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,542,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible