The Pemberley Chronicles by Rebecca Ann…

The Pemberley Chronicles

by Rebecca Ann Collins

184None64,113 (2.71)6

I don't know why I keep reading P&P spinoffs, because I end up not liking them. This book is no different. Devoid of a central plot line, it's more of a series of vignettes, and all of them serve to simply reinforce how perfect Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy (and indeed their entire social circle) are. Bad things happen (Lydia and Wickham are up to their usual plotting, two children (one Darcy and one Gardiner) die in a tragic accident, but so little time is spent on these events that they don't evoke any emotions from the reader. Didn't care for this and won't be reading any more of the series. ( )
  lucy3107 | Sep 23, 2013 |
While the author does say in the preface that she makes no attempt to mimic Austen's inimitable style, the complete and total shift, especially in dialogue, makes this almost unrecognizable as Pride & Prejudice. And the actual plot isn't interesting enough to make up for it; Collins can't bear to hurt Elizabeth, so her marriage is blissful, all the original characters love her (she even redeems Charlotte Collins), and I fell asleep. The political plot in the middle is tacked on and ill-integrated, the next generation has virtually no distinguishing characteristics, and basically, this is not worth the paper it's printed on. ( )
1 vote cricketbats | Mar 30, 2013 |
review Pemberley Chronicles: A Companion Volume to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is a "What happens next?" sort of novel by Rebecca Collins. Now, Rebecca Collins is a pen name, chosen from one of her characters, a "scribbling" child of Charlotte Collins. I found my Kindle copy of this book on Sourcebooks.com on Jane Austen's birthday. They were handing out free Jane Austen sequels and I, as I sometimes do, was feeling a sort of longing for something romantic, pretty and well,...morePemberley Chronicles: A Companion Volume to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is a "What happens next?" sort of novel by Rebecca Collins. Now, Rebecca Collins is a pen name, chosen from one of her characters, a "scribbling" child of Charlotte Collins. I found my Kindle copy of this book on Sourcebooks.com on Jane Austen's birthday. They were handing out free Jane Austen sequels and I, as I sometimes do, was feeling a sort of longing for something romantic, pretty and well, Regency inspired. I didn't expect to love any of the books because my respect and admiration for Jane Austen could never be felt again by another mere mortal. But then, I picked up Pemberley Chronicles and found myself carried off on a pleasing wind and carried out of my doldrums. The story begins shortly after the double wedding of Lizzie and Jane Bennet and at once the reader is coated in a sweet syrup that almost becomes unbearable. Then the author inserts, not exactly seamlessly, a few passages of some of the politics in England of the time. There's some local discontent too that makes its way onto the grounds at Pemberley! They daydream quality of the book mainly comes from the way every lady is so perfect and sweet and marries, with everyone's approval, a perfect young man whom every one loves and would have indeed handpicked for her. Everyone is beautiful or handsome, sweet and charming. Any skills such as piano playing, hunting,shooting or drawing that any of these characters have are referred to in the superlative. Just when everything was too perfect and felt more like reading a list of who all got married and the names of all their pretty and perfect children, the author would insert of another bit of the history or politics of the time. They were almost revolutionary times, so I appreciated the "inserts" however unskillfully they may have been inserted. Then, as if someone had mentioned to the reader that perhaps this book was so perfectly sweet as to become boring, she kills off people, one after the other, some expectedly from old age, others randomly and without adding anything important to the story. Having said, that, I think what we have here is someone who does have potential for writing and lacked editorship. It was bizarre how many times a character was reintroduced in case a reader hadn't read Pride and Predjudice before. It was weird how often these little filler moments came up to remind the reader again and again that Lizzie and Darcy didn't like each other at first. They should have been cut. Another odd thing I noticed was how sometimes a baby was born and never mentioned again till it became engaged to be married, more often than not to a well-loved cousin. Now before anyone begins think this is not at all a pleasant book, I should say that I did enjoy it afterall. One always likes to think about what if's and what happens next to favorite characters. I did read it to the exclusion of all else, even the perfectly written world classic of Charles Dickens, Bleak House. I think because during the holidays, with a noisy house, Pemberly Chronicles was easy to read even with every tv and video game in the house all going at once in a sort of cacaphonous roar that doesn't allow for reading that requires concentration. I hope this lady writes more books and just has more time to polish. I liked her rendition of Regency speech and manners very much. I liked how her characters had similar values to me and how there was no need, for indeed, there really isn't, for explicit behind the bedroom door scenes. This is the kind of novel one can hand to a teenage daughter without worry. Then, if she hasn't already, she will finish it and begin rummaging through your books for Jane Austen's Pride and Predjudice to find out what happened first
1 vote Lesliejaneite | Dec 30, 2010 |
Thanks to Sandy (sjmccreary for point me in the direction of the P&P sequels.)

This is the first of the series by Rebecca Ann Collins which takes the Jane Austen characters from Pride & Prejudice (P&P) and continues their story in her own particular way.

In Pemberley Chronicles, the reader not only sees how Elizabeth and Darcy's lives advance, we are also shown the lesser characters of P&P and are introduced to the next generation of Darcys, Gardiners, and Bingleys. We see their joys and heartbreaks, successes and failures. This book also tries to include some historical accuracy of the issues in Great Britain of the time.

Reading several of the P&P sequels and comparing the writing styles and to an extent the story content, I have to admit that even though I liked this book for what it told and I'll go on in the series, I prefer the Sharon Lathan series more - at this point. ( )
  cyderry | Sep 29, 2010 |
I purchased The Pemberley Chronicles yesterday with high hopes for enjoyment, especially since there were five other books in the series sitting next to it one the shelf. While Collins does state in the preface she makes no attempt to mimic Austen’s style, I felt she tried. For me, a “sequel” that does not try to be Jane is much better than one that is.

But it’s the actual plot that makes The Pemberley Chronicles unbearable to read. Collins can't bear to hurt Elizabeth, or even allow Darcy and Elizabeth to bicker and banter, so the Darcys marriage is perfect. Absolutely, positively perfect. Therefore, I fell asleep.

The time jumps made the novel even more frustrating and I was completely lost with the second half of the book. While the first half only spans five years, the second spans 15 to 20 years and often times the seven year time jump from chapter would be filled in with Kitty gave birth to an anticipated son, Charlotte Collins had another little girl, and Lydia was once again pregnant. And because of the time jumps, a character the reader just meet would be married to another of the Darcys’ cousin/sister/friend in the next chapter.

In the beginning, I appreciated the integration of the government and issues of the time as it provided insight into why some things happens and why the characters acted the way they did. But as the novel continued one, the political plot began to take priority, the novel read more like a history and the progression of the characters’ lives, the reason why I purchased The Pemberley Chronicles, took a back seat.
1 vote jacketscoversread | Nov 25, 2008 |

Is a (non-series) sequel to

A continuation of the story of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice begins after the wedding of Elizabeth and Darcy and follows their relationship and that of Jane and Bingley, as they cope with the changes, joys, and tragedies in their lives

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,463,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible