dismiss

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

The Moonstone (1868)

by Wilkie Collins

8,752196610 (3.95)746
Stolen from the forehead of a Hindu idol, the dazzling gem known as "The Moonstone" resurfaces at a birthday party in an English country home -- with an enigmatic trio of watchful Brahmins hot on its trail. Laced with superstitions, suspicion, humor, and romance, this 1868 mystery draws readers into a compelling tale with numerous twists and turns.… (more)
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (Booksloth)
    Uncle Silas: A Tale of Bartram-Haugh by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (Anonymous user)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (Jannes)
    Jannes: A (fictional) tale about Collins and his friendship with Dickens. "The Moonstone" in prominently featured. Give it a try if you're into historical thrillers.
    Dead Men Tell No Tales by E. W. Hornung (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Both are essentially mystery novels, although Collins is both more pioneering and, in my view better written. While the two novels were published approximately 30 years apart, both are set in the mid 19th century. Reading both books allows the reader to place the works in context of other mystery novels from the 19th century. Accordingly, I am not suggesting that just because you enjoyed one means you will enjoy the other to the same extent.… (more)
My TBR (25)

English (186)  Spanish (5)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (196)
The first detective novel~ search for a missing giant diamond in 1849. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
In English literature's first detective novel, Wilkie Collins spins a captivating tale around the coveted Moonstone, a spoil of war that is stolen from eighteen year old Rachel on the night she receives it. More than a mystery, Collins envelopes romance, vivid characters, and both domestic and exotic landscapes to create a literary masterpiece.
  DevilStateDan | Feb 11, 2020 |
I lit my pipe, and took a turn at ROBINSON CRUSOE.
Before I had been at it five minutes, I came to this amazing bit-- page one hundred and sixty-one--as follows:
"Fear of Danger is ten thousand times more terrifying than Danger itself, when apparent to the Eyes; and we find the Burthen of Anxiety greater, by much, than the Evil which we are anxious about."
"The man who doesn't believe in ROBINSON CRUSOE, after THAT, is a man with a screw loose in his understanding, or a man lost in the mist of his own self-conceit! Argument is thrown away upon him; and pity is better reserved for some person with a livelier faith." by Gabriel Betteredge.

Baru kali ini aku tahu ada karakter yang menjadikan buku sebagai pedoman hidupnya haha, bukan suka membaca buku tertentu seperti yang banyak ditemui pada karakter2 dinovel lain. Tapi ini benar-benar dijadikan pedoman hidup.

Ceritanya ditulus dengan sangat sangat bagus. Dan jujur saja saya salah menebak pelakunya karena sudah termakan opini diawal tanpa menelisik lebih jauh.

Titut | Feb 10, 2020 |
I will try this one again, but I just couldn't get into. I love The Woman in White, so I expected to enjoy this to, but it didn't hold my attention. ( )
1 vote revafisheye | Jan 10, 2020 |
Wilkie Collins, for those who may not be aware, was a friend of Charles Dickens and a reader may think that because of this their writing styles would be somewhat similar; this is not the case they have drastically different writing styles and because of this I thoroughly enjoy Wilkie Collins novels as much as I despise anything penned by his friend who is just too long winded and maudlin for my taste.

The storyline in this book is narrated from the perspective of each member of the unique cast of characters that the Author brings to life on his pages. They are entertaining, smart and funny, bringing out a lot of the social norms of the period in their narratives, whilst at the same time showing that things were changing much to the annoyance of one particular chauvinistic male. Because the Author is able to convince the reader that the plot is being revealed to them on a personal level, rather than them being a spectator in the unfolding mystery, the characters become ones you can love or hate as would people you meet in real life. The characters in this novel are societies ‘Gods of the Universe’; they are privileged, pampered but definitely human, a trait that is often lacking in more modern novels in this genre. There was not one character I preferred over another, as each brings their unique perspective of the world around them into the tale, and through this the reader is able to experience more of what is happening behind the main storyline.

As in most novels written in this time period, the location description are vast sweeping and very detailed; it is verbose to the extreme and a reader that is new to its pages may wonder how anything ever was accomplished in Victorian times when they used 20 words to convey something we use 4 words for today. Despite this it is still an excellent read, no matter how many times I open this book, or listen to it on audio book. It is not fast-paced by any means, and those reader that enjoy this in a mystery book may find that aspect off-putting, but regardless of whether you solve the mystery before the reveal, there is still plenty in the novel to keep you turning the pages to the very end.

I would highly recommend this as a good engrossing read for anyone who likes mystery novels, those set in the Victorian era or is curious about the book purported to be ‘the first mystery novel’. I’ve read Wilkie Collins novel the Woman in White, and will no doubt continue to revisit both of his works in the years to come.

Originally reviewed on: http://catesbooknuthut.com/2014/07/25/review-the-moonstone-wilkie-collins/

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

TheAcorn | Nov 8, 2019 |

Sutherland, JohnEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sutherland, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willis, ChristineEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
IN MEMORIAM MATRIS
In the first part of Robinson Crusoe, at page one hundred and twenty-nine, you will find it thus written: 'Now I saw, though too late, The Folly of beginning a Work before we count the Cost, and before we judge rightly of our own Strength to go through with it.'
Intending praise, T. S. Eliot slung an albatross around the neck of The Moonstone with his encomium: 'the first and best of detective novels.' (Introduction)
In some of my former novels, the object proposed has been to trace the influence of circumstances upon character. (Preface)
The circumstances under which The Moonstone was originally written have invested the book - in the author's mind - with an interest peculiarly its own. (Preface to a New Edition)
I address these lines - written in India - to my relatives in England. (Prologue)
We are all of us more or less unwilling to be brought into the world. And we are all of us right.
It is one of my rules in life, never to notice what I don't understand.

Stolen from the forehead of a Hindu idol, the dazzling gem known as "The Moonstone" resurfaces at a birthday party in an English country home-with an enigmatic trio of watchful Brahmins hot on its trail. Laced with superstitions, suspicion, humor, and romance, this 1868 mystery draws readers into a compelling tale whose twists and turns range from sleepwalking to experimentation with opium.

Described by T.S. Eliot as a "master of plot and situation," Collins possessed gifts of characterization that rivaled those of his close friend, Charles Dickens. The Moonstone exhibits these skills with suspenseful and dramatic effects, as the narrative passes from one colorful character to the next. The novel is particularly distinguished by the appearance of Sergeant Cuff, a prototype of the English detective hero and the harbinger of a popular tradition of sleuthing.
History is made
as first detective novel
in English language.
(passion4reading)
Rachel gets diamond
for birthday. It's stolen at
night – call detective!
(passion4reading)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140434089, 0141198877

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,457,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible