The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

The Moonstone (1868)

by Wilkie Collins

6,226None646 (3.97)560
1001 (66) 1001 books (63) 19th century (298) British (139) British literature (130) classic (295) classic fiction (41) classics (239) crime (134) crime fiction (47) detective (133) detective fiction (51) ebook (56) England (132) English (65) English literature (104) fiction (952) gothic (70) India (69) Kindle (52) literature (158) mystery (867) novel (186) own (41) read (79) to-read (117) unread (61) Victorian (222) victorian literature (44) Wilkie Collins (37)
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (Booksloth)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (Jannes)
    Jannes: A (fictional) tale about Collins and his friendship with Dickens. "The Moonstone" in prominently featured. Give it a try if you're into historical thrillers.
    Uncle Silas: A Tale of Bartram-Haugh by J. Sheridan Le Fanu (Anonymous user)
    Dead Men Tell No Tales by E. W. Hornung (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Both are essentially mystery novels, although Collins is both more pioneering and, in my view better written. While the two novels were published approximately 30 years apart, both are set in the mid 19th century. Reading both books allows the reader to place the works in context of other mystery novels from the 19th century. Accordingly, I am not suggesting that just because you enjoyed one means you will enjoy the other to the same extent.… (more)

English (116)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (121)
After a slow start this book turned out to be really good. I love a mystery and this one had some great twists and turns and I was surprised at how it all unfolded. Very nicely written.

I think it was a slow start just because I needed to get my mind set into the scene and time of the book. Once I was there it was wonderful! ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |

CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
Felt much less modern than other novels by his contemporaries. Very we're-still-working-to-perfect-this-art-form. I loved Sergeant Cuff, and Betteredge with his Robinson Crusoe fixation, but overall I wish the narration hadn't shifted around and broken the fourth wall so often. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
I do not understand how this happened, but I was not a fan of this book. I loved Collins' mystery "The Woman in White." It's thrilling, complicated and well-plotted. I tend to love Dickens' books and he has a similar style. I started it this fall and just couldn't get into it. I tried reading it on my kindle and then I tried a hardcopy. I dreaded picking it up and it took me months to finish.

Called one of the first detective novels in existence, this unique plot rotates between narrators to tell the story of a stolen diamond. As the plot thickens we see each of the characters share their side of the story. Each participant has a different agenda and we aren't sure if we can trust their version. I appreciate the fact that the style in the book did something original, but I still had a hard time connecting with any of them.

BOTTOM LINE: I have no idea why this one was such an awful slog for me. It took me three months to get through it. I'm hoping that I am up for trying it again in a decade or so, but until then I'd recommend The Woman in White over this one. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jan 13, 2014 |
Breezed through this one. Entertaining mystery, not a thriller & not as good as The Woman in White. The narration is shared by several characters each with unique traits and styles of writing that make the 450 page book interesting to read.

Common themes are: Honor, Pity, Disgrace, Degradation, Infamy, Justice, Atonement, etc. Oh, and Love - lots of passionate feelings of love. The whole conflict rested on 19th century rules of social conduct and a basic lack of communication. The ultimate thief was easy to guess but the manner by which he got the stone was unforeseeable (and unrealistic). But a fun book. ( )
  allisonneke | Dec 17, 2013 |

Nayder, LillianAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, J. I. M.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sutherland, JohnEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willis, ChristineEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the first part of Robinson Crusoe, at page one hundred and twenty-nine, you will find it thus written: 'Now I saw, though too late, The Folly of beginning a Work before we count the Cost, and before we judge rightly of our own Strength to go through with it.'
We are all of us more or less unwilling to be brought into the world. And we are all of us right.
It is one of my rules in life, never to notice what I don't understand.
Stolen from the forehead of a Hindu idol, the dazzling gem known as "The Moonstone" resurfaces at a birthday party in an English country home-with an enigmatic trio of watchful Brahmins hot on its trail. Laced with superstitions, suspicion, humor, and romance, this 1868 mystery draws readers into a compelling tale whose twists and turns range from sleepwalking to experimentation with opium.

Described by T.S. Eliot as a "master of plot and situation," Collins possessed gifts of characterization that rivaled those of his close friend, Charles Dickens. The Moonstone exhibits these skills with suspenseful and dramatic effects, as the narrative passes from one colorful character to the next. The novel is particularly distinguished by the appearance of Sergeant Cuff, a prototype of the English detective hero and the harbinger of a popular tradition of sleuthing.
History is made
As first detective novel
In English language.
(passion4reading)
Rachel gets diamond
For birthday. It's stolen at
Night: call detective!
(passion4reading)

"The Moonstone is a page-turner," writes Carolyn Heilbrun. "It catches one up and unfolds its amazing story through the recountings of its several narrators, all of them enticing and singular." Wilkie Collins’s spellbinding tale of romance, theft, and murder inspired a hugely popular genre–the detective mystery. Hinging on the theft of an enormous diamond originally stolen from an Indian shrine, this riveting novel features the innovative Sergeant Cuff, the hilarious house steward Gabriel Betteridge, a lovesick housemaid, and a mysterious band of Indian jugglers.

This Modern Library Paperback Classic is set from the definitive 1871 edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:03 -0400)

Rachel Verrinder receives the stone as a gift and does not realize that it has been passed to her in a sinister form of revenge by John Herncastle who, it transpires, acquired the moonstone by means of murder and theft. The jewel also brings bad luck. The stone disappears on the very night it is given to Rachel, though, and the tale concerns the unveiling of the culprit after the intervention of Sergeant Cuff, a famous London detective.… (more)

Twelve editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140434089, 0141198877

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,415,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible