La piedra lunar by Wilkie Collins

La piedra lunar (original 1868; edition 2011)

by Wilkie Collins, Catalina Martínez Múñoz (Translator)

Member:Araiana
Title:La piedra lunar
Authors:Wilkie Collins
Other authors:Catalina Martínez Múñoz (Translator)
Info:

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (1868)

Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (Booksloth)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (Jannes)
    Jannes: A (fictional) tale about Collins and his friendship with Dickens. "The Moonstone" in prominently featured. Give it a try if you're into historical thrillers.
    Uncle Silas: A Tale of Bartram-Haugh by J. Sheridan Le Fanu (Anonymous user)
    Dead Men Tell No Tales by E. W. Hornung (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Both are essentially mystery novels, although Collins is both more pioneering and, in my view better written. While the two novels were published approximately 30 years apart, both are set in the mid 19th century. Reading both books allows the reader to place the works in context of other mystery novels from the 19th century. Accordingly, I am not suggesting that just because you enjoyed one means you will enjoy the other to the same extent.… (more)

English (119)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (124)
An enjoyable story told in the fashion of Charles Dickens about the theft of a great diamond (The Moonstone). Originally published as a series in Dicken's newspaper it has many chapters and sections making it easy to pick up and put down. However it is a long book so a good run at reading it is required to get the book read ! ( )
  JuliaBrooke | Oct 18, 2014 |
Wilkie Collins has supplanted Charles Dickens as my favorite 19th Century author. His prose is a little more realistic, more in touch with the kind of people he's writing for; this makes his book all the more accessible to, and enjoyable to, the contemporary reader.

Although Collins is a bit verbose.

The story of The Moonstone is your basic mystery - who stole what, and what did they did with it. It starts quite slowly, but is quite engaging throughout. The ending is - all things considered - just what you expect, although who did the deed, and how, remains a mystery until the end. And, if you think the villain is just plucked out of thin air, the explanation actually makes sense. A nice case of serendipity.

The plausibility of all of this hinges - to a large extent - on the fact that Collins was an opium addict, and it is no wonder the noble role opium plays in the story. ( )
  jpporter | Oct 6, 2014 |
Apparently the first modern (1868) detective story. Collins sets up the suspense with numerous twists and turns and a number of surprises. ( )
  Doondeck | Jul 15, 2014 |
AUTHOR: Collins, Wilkie
TITLE: The Moonstone
DATE READ: 05/31 (DNF)
RATING: 2/DNF
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS: Fiction/1868/Wordsworth/100pgs out of 434
SERIES/STAND-ALONE: S/A
TIME/PLACE: 1860's UK
CHARACTERS: Franklin Blake nephew to Lady V erinder -- inherited the moonstone from his uncle (Lady Verinder's estranged brother).

FIRST LINES: "In the first part of Robinson Crusoe, at page 129, you will find it thus written: 'Now I saw, though too late, the Folly of beginning a Work before we count the Cost, and before we judge rightly of our own Strength to go through w/ it.'
COMMENTS: UGH -- had such high hopes for this book that sat on my shelf forever!! The title and connection to India was alluring. And to further peak my interest the book was mentioned to be the pre-cursor to modern day detective novels. This was laborious and I am surprised I made it up to 100 pages. It just did NOT flow at all for me. I felt the narration was very disruptive w/ all the … let me digress and go off on another tangent style of writing. Just not my cuppa. ( )
  pammykn | Jun 7, 2014 |
After a slow start this book turned out to be really good. I love a mystery and this one had some great twists and turns and I was surprised at how it all unfolded. Very nicely written.

I think it was a slow start just because I needed to get my mind set into the scene and time of the book. Once I was there it was wonderful! ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |

Nayder, LillianAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, J. I. M.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sutherland, JohnEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willis, ChristineEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the first part of Robinson Crusoe, at page one hundred and twenty-nine, you will find it thus written: 'Now I saw, though too late, The Folly of beginning a Work before we count the Cost, and before we judge rightly of our own Strength to go through with it.'
We are all of us more or less unwilling to be brought into the world. And we are all of us right.
It is one of my rules in life, never to notice what I don't understand.
Stolen from the forehead of a Hindu idol, the dazzling gem known as "The Moonstone" resurfaces at a birthday party in an English country home-with an enigmatic trio of watchful Brahmins hot on its trail. Laced with superstitions, suspicion, humor, and romance, this 1868 mystery draws readers into a compelling tale whose twists and turns range from sleepwalking to experimentation with opium.

Described by T.S. Eliot as a "master of plot and situation," Collins possessed gifts of characterization that rivaled those of his close friend, Charles Dickens. The Moonstone exhibits these skills with suspenseful and dramatic effects, as the narrative passes from one colorful character to the next. The novel is particularly distinguished by the appearance of Sergeant Cuff, a prototype of the English detective hero and the harbinger of a popular tradition of sleuthing.
History is made
As first detective novel
In English language.
(passion4reading)
Rachel gets diamond
For birthday. It's stolen at
Night: call detective!
(passion4reading)

"The Moonstone is a page-turner," writes Carolyn Heilbrun. "It catches one up and unfolds its amazing story through the recountings of its several narrators, all of them enticing and singular." Wilkie Collins’s spellbinding tale of romance, theft, and murder inspired a hugely popular genre–the detective mystery. Hinging on the theft of an enormous diamond originally stolen from an Indian shrine, this riveting novel features the innovative Sergeant Cuff, the hilarious house steward Gabriel Betteridge, a lovesick housemaid, and a mysterious band of Indian jugglers.

This Modern Library Paperback Classic is set from the definitive 1871 edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:03 -0400)

Rachel Verrinder receives the stone as a gift and does not realize that it has been passed to her in a sinister form of revenge by John Herncastle who, it transpires, acquired the moonstone by means of murder and theft. The jewel also brings bad luck. The stone disappears on the very night it is given to Rachel, though, and the tale concerns the unveiling of the culprit after the intervention of Sergeant Cuff, a famous London detective.… (more)

Fifteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140434089, 0141198877

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,352,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible