La piedra lunar by Wilkie Collins

La piedra lunar (original 1868; edition 2011)

by Wilkie Collins, Catalina Martínez Múñoz (Translator)

Member:Araiana
Title:La piedra lunar
Authors:Wilkie Collins
Other authors:Catalina Martínez Múñoz (Translator)
Info:Barcelona : Alba, 2011.

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (1868)

Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (Booksloth)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (Jannes)
    Jannes: A (fictional) tale about Collins and his friendship with Dickens. "The Moonstone" in prominently featured. Give it a try if you're into historical thrillers.
    Uncle Silas: A Tale of Bartram-Haugh by J. Sheridan Le Fanu (Anonymous user)
    Dead Men Tell No Tales by E. W. Hornung (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Both are essentially mystery novels, although Collins is both more pioneering and, in my view better written. While the two novels were published approximately 30 years apart, both are set in the mid 19th century. Reading both books allows the reader to place the works in context of other mystery novels from the 19th century. Accordingly, I am not suggesting that just because you enjoyed one means you will enjoy the other to the same extent.… (more)

English (153)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (159)
Enjoyed the story coming from the different perspectives of the characters involved. Each took you to a point and then passed on to the next character.
Took my time and enjoyed the images painted with words by the author. Plan to read more by Wilkie Collins. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
It's lengthy, and some narrators are more interesting than others, but it's a classic must-read for mystery fans--a seminal work of the genre. ( )
  TheBentley | Jun 4, 2016 |
Review: The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.

This is a historical classic I really enjoyed reading. The story reminded me so much like the Sherlock Holmes detective books. It’s a much larger volume but absolutely worth the read. The story is narrated by several of the characters view points on the action that takes place throughout the story. I like the way the story was organize and how well developed the characters were. The story’s setting was in England around 1848 but there is a brief prologue describing how the yellow diamond (Moonstone) was captured during a military campaign in India by a British officer in 1799 and left in his Will to a young relative, Rachel Verinder, who would receive it on her eighteenth birthday.

The first narrator is Gabriel Betteredge, a house manager of the Verinder Estate who worked for the family all his life. He starts out telling how the Moonstone arrives at the estate and it soon disappears or lost as one might say…. Gabriel is a friendly person but also shows a strict attitude of manner while doing his job, he is very loyal. He keeps the reader’s interest relating about the crime and introduces the other characters that were at the Estate the night the Moonstone disappeared and established the other characters as they materialized into the story as the; detective, the three Indians, the family that lived down by the water, etc…However the main characters were the people who arrived for Rachel’s birthday dinner and the ones who stay overnight.

Collins finer aspect is his creation of mood and suspense that unfolded to highlight the crime and how several people who could have taken the stone. He gave each character different backgrounds, secrets, dispositions, to cater to the human element of perspective to create an amazing story. Collins was able to change narrative persona to give the story the emotions and individual fragments the characters needed to tell their own viewpoints. I believe there were eleven narrators in total but that never lessened the story at all, in fact it made the story believable. Gabriel started the story, then it was Miss Clack, a niece of the late Mr. Verinder, going on with Mathew Bruff, the family’s solicitor, to Franklin Blake, who was in love with Rachel, to Ezra Jennings, a friend and aid to the Doctor, to Franklin Blake again, to Sergeant Cuff, who was investigating the missing Moonstone, to Mr. Candy, the family doctor and back to Gabriel for the ending. I could have missed one or two but the different narrators made the story interesting and entertaining.

The historic effects on certain events, dialogue, atmosphere, squabbles, that was initiated throughout the story was intriguing but the plot “Who had the Moonstone” highlighted the entire suspense and created a mystery, unpredictable to the very end. I highly recommend the book.
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
The Moonstone – Wilke Collins
Audio version performed by James Langton

4 stars

Dickens was apparently the first author to place a detective in a novel (Inspector Bucket in Bleak House). Poe preceded Collins in writing the first detective story. Nevertheless, The Moonstone was important to the development of detective fiction. It is a locked room, country house mystery. There is a bumbling policeman, Superintendent Seagrave, and the brilliant detective, Sergeant Cuff. It is full of red herrings and false suspects. There is a final plot twist and a reconstruction of the crime.

Like Collins' Woman in White, this story is told in multiple voices. The best of the storytellers is the hilarious Gabriel Betteredge, the house steward. (The butler! He didn’t do it.) The annoying pious Drusilla Clack adds her own brand of humor as she relates her bits of evidence. I found the actual solution to the theft to be a bit lame, but it was interesting given the author’s personal history.

I enjoyed James Langton’s performance of this book. He gave each character a distinct voice and used varied accents believably.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
While storms raged, while at high tide waves hit the sea wall with such force that the house shook, I have been spent the dark evenings re-reading ‘The Moonstone’, secure in the knowledge that out house was built not long after the publication of Wilkie Collins’ wonderful book and so it has survived many storms and was so solidly built that it should survive many more.

I think that ‘The Moonstone’ is pitched at the perfect point between crime fiction and sensation fiction, and it makes me wish that I could have been a Victorian reader, so that I could have read it when it was new, original and innovative, and so that I could read it with my mind uncluttered by more than a century of books that have come since then, and a few that I can think of that clearly have been influenced by this wonderful tale.

I am sure that Conan-Doyle read this book; I suspect that Victoria Holt had it in mind when she named her novel ‘The Shivering Sands’; and I am quite certain that Hercule Poirot’s retirement to the country to grow vegetable marrows was a tribute to Seargeant Cuff and his wish to see out his days growing roses ….. but I’m getting ahead of myself.

I’m not sure that ‘The Moonstone’ has stood the test of time as well as some of Wilkie Collins’ other work, but it is still a fine entertainment, and among the most readable of classics.

The moonstone – a fabulous Hindu diamond – is seized – some would say stolen – during the storming of Seringapatam. The taker of the diamond believes it to be cursed, and takes serious steps to ensure his own safety and the safety of his jewel. In his will he leaves it to his niece, the daughter of his estranged sister. And so the moonstone is given to Rachel Verinder on her 18th birthday. That night the moonstone disappears. The case is investigated by Seargeant Cuff, of the new detective force, and an extraordinary sequence of events will unfold before the truth of what happened that night, and the fate of the jewel, is made clear.

The tale is told by a series of narrators, because this is an account of the moonstone compiled some time after the events it describes by an interested party. He brought together family papers and accounts of events that he asked those who were best placed to report, to create a continuous narrative.

That device works wonderfully well, controlling what the reader knew without the reader having to feel manipulated, and adding depth to the characters by viewing them through different eyes. Fortunately the narrators are nicely differentiated. I loved Gabriel Betteredge, the indispensable steward to the Verinder family, a man of firm opinions who was nonetheless a model servant, who believed that all of the answers to life’s problems lay in the pages Robinson Crusoe. But I heartily disliked Miss Clack, a pious, sanctimonious cousin, blind to the feelings and concerns of others, but insistent that they must read her tracts. And I was fascinated by Ezra Jennings, a doctor who had been dragged down by his addiction to opium, but who was grateful for the chances he had been given and ready to play his part in uncovering the truth. And there were others; every voice, every character, was utterly believable.

Even more interesting than the narrators though were two women, at opposite ends of the social spectrum, who both chose not to speak out. Rosanna Spearman was a servant, and though I had reasons to doubt her, I could see that she was troubled and I feared for her. I nearly dismissed Rachel Verinder, as a spoilt madam, but in time I came to see that I had misjudged and underestimated with her.

The atmosphere was everything I could have hoped for, and the settings were wonderfully created. I especially loved the scenes set out on the treacherous ‘Shivering Sands’. And the story twisted and turned, and sprang surprises, very effectively. I remembered that broad sweep of the story from the first time I read ‘The Moonstone’, many years ago, but I had forgotten just how events played out, but even when I remembered it didn’t matter. Wilkie Collins was such a wonderful, clever storyteller that I was captivated, from the first page to an afterword that was absolutely perfect.

I loved almost everything, but I do have to say that the story is a little uneven, and that no character is as memorable as Marion Halcombe and Count Fosco in ‘The Women and White.’ But then, few characters are.

This is a very different pleasure. maybe a more subtle pleasure. And definitely a rattling good yarn! ( )
1 vote BeyondEdenRock | May 11, 2016 |

Sutherland, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sutherland, JohnEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willis, ChristineEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
IN MEMORIAM MATRIS
In the first part of Robinson Crusoe, at page one hundred and twenty-nine, you will find it thus written: 'Now I saw, though too late, The Folly of beginning a Work before we count the Cost, and before we judge rightly of our own Strength to go through with it.'
Intending praise, T. S. Eliot slung an albatross around the neck of The Moonstone with his encomium: 'the first and best of detective novels.' (Introduction)
In some of my former novels, the object proposed has been to trace the influence of circumstances upon character. (Preface)
The circumstances under which The Moonstone was originally written have invested the book - in the author's mind - with an interest peculiarly its own. (Preface to a New Edition)
I address these lines - written in India - to my relatives in England. (Prologue)
We are all of us more or less unwilling to be brought into the world. And we are all of us right.
It is one of my rules in life, never to notice what I don't understand.
Stolen from the forehead of a Hindu idol, the dazzling gem known as "The Moonstone" resurfaces at a birthday party in an English country home-with an enigmatic trio of watchful Brahmins hot on its trail. Laced with superstitions, suspicion, humor, and romance, this 1868 mystery draws readers into a compelling tale whose twists and turns range from sleepwalking to experimentation with opium.

Described by T.S. Eliot as a "master of plot and situation," Collins possessed gifts of characterization that rivaled those of his close friend, Charles Dickens. The Moonstone exhibits these skills with suspenseful and dramatic effects, as the narrative passes from one colorful character to the next. The novel is particularly distinguished by the appearance of Sergeant Cuff, a prototype of the English detective hero and the harbinger of a popular tradition of sleuthing.
History is made
As first detective novel
In English language.
(passion4reading)
Rachel gets diamond
For birthday. It's stolen at
Night: call detective!
(passion4reading)

"The Moonstone is a page-turner," writes Carolyn Heilbrun. "It catches one up and unfolds its amazing story through the recountings of its several narrators, all of them enticing and singular." Wilkie Collins’s spellbinding tale of romance, theft, and murder inspired a hugely popular genre–the detective mystery. Hinging on the theft of an enormous diamond originally stolen from an Indian shrine, this riveting novel features the innovative Sergeant Cuff, the hilarious house steward Gabriel Betteridge, a lovesick housemaid, and a mysterious band of Indian jugglers.

This Modern Library Paperback Classic is set from the definitive 1871 edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:31 -0400)

Rachel Verrinder receives the stone as a gift and does not realize that it has been passed to her in a sinister form of revenge by John Herncastle who, it transpires, acquired the moonstone by means of murder and theft. The jewel also brings bad luck. The stone disappears on the very night it is given to Rachel, though, and the tale concerns the unveiling of the culprit after the intervention of Sergeant Cuff, a famous London detective.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140434089, 0141198877

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,742,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible