The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

The Moonstone (original 1868; edition 2012)

by Wilkie Collins

Member:ronchronchronch
Title:The Moonstone
Authors:Wilkie Collins
Info:International Alliance Pro-Publishing, LLC (2012), Paperback, 366 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, classic lit, mystery

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (1868)

Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (Booksloth)
    Drood by Dan Simmons (Jannes)
    Jannes: A (fictional) tale about Collins and his friendship with Dickens. "The Moonstone" in prominently featured. Give it a try if you're into historical thrillers.
    Uncle Silas: A Tale of Bartram-Haugh by J. Sheridan Le Fanu (Anonymous user)
    Dead Men Tell No Tales by E. W. Hornung (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Both are essentially mystery novels, although Collins is both more pioneering and, in my view better written. While the two novels were published approximately 30 years apart, both are set in the mid 19th century. Reading both books allows the reader to place the works in context of other mystery novels from the 19th century. Accordingly, I am not suggesting that just because you enjoyed one means you will enjoy the other to the same extent.… (more)

English (118)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (123)
Apparently the first modern (1868) detective story. Collins sets up the suspense with numerous twists and turns and a number of surprises. ( )
  Doondeck | Jul 15, 2014 |
AUTHOR: Collins, Wilkie
TITLE: The Moonstone
DATE READ: 05/31 (DNF)
RATING: 2/DNF
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS: Fiction/1868/Wordsworth/100pgs out of 434
SERIES/STAND-ALONE: S/A
TIME/PLACE: 1860's UK
CHARACTERS: Franklin Blake nephew to Lady V erinder -- inherited the moonstone from his uncle (Lady Verinder's estranged brother).

FIRST LINES: "In the first part of Robinson Crusoe, at page 129, you will find it thus written: 'Now I saw, though too late, the Folly of beginning a Work before we count the Cost, and before we judge rightly of our own Strength to go through w/ it.'
COMMENTS: UGH -- had such high hopes for this book that sat on my shelf forever!! The title and connection to India was alluring. And to further peak my interest the book was mentioned to be the pre-cursor to modern day detective novels. This was laborious and I am surprised I made it up to 100 pages. It just did NOT flow at all for me. I felt the narration was very disruptive w/ all the … let me digress and go off on another tangent style of writing. Just not my cuppa. ( )
  pammykn | Jun 7, 2014 |
After a slow start this book turned out to be really good. I love a mystery and this one had some great twists and turns and I was surprised at how it all unfolded. Very nicely written.

I think it was a slow start just because I needed to get my mind set into the scene and time of the book. Once I was there it was wonderful! ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |

CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
Felt much less modern than other novels by his contemporaries. Very we're-still-working-to-perfect-this-art-form. I loved Sergeant Cuff, and Betteredge with his Robinson Crusoe fixation, but overall I wish the narration hadn't shifted around and broken the fourth wall so often. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |

Nayder, LillianAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, J. I. M.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sutherland, JohnEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willis, ChristineEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the first part of Robinson Crusoe, at page one hundred and twenty-nine, you will find it thus written: 'Now I saw, though too late, The Folly of beginning a Work before we count the Cost, and before we judge rightly of our own Strength to go through with it.'
We are all of us more or less unwilling to be brought into the world. And we are all of us right.
It is one of my rules in life, never to notice what I don't understand.
Stolen from the forehead of a Hindu idol, the dazzling gem known as "The Moonstone" resurfaces at a birthday party in an English country home-with an enigmatic trio of watchful Brahmins hot on its trail. Laced with superstitions, suspicion, humor, and romance, this 1868 mystery draws readers into a compelling tale whose twists and turns range from sleepwalking to experimentation with opium.

Described by T.S. Eliot as a "master of plot and situation," Collins possessed gifts of characterization that rivaled those of his close friend, Charles Dickens. The Moonstone exhibits these skills with suspenseful and dramatic effects, as the narrative passes from one colorful character to the next. The novel is particularly distinguished by the appearance of Sergeant Cuff, a prototype of the English detective hero and the harbinger of a popular tradition of sleuthing.
History is made
As first detective novel
In English language.
(passion4reading)
Rachel gets diamond
For birthday. It's stolen at
Night: call detective!
(passion4reading)

"The Moonstone is a page-turner," writes Carolyn Heilbrun. "It catches one up and unfolds its amazing story through the recountings of its several narrators, all of them enticing and singular." Wilkie Collins’s spellbinding tale of romance, theft, and murder inspired a hugely popular genre–the detective mystery. Hinging on the theft of an enormous diamond originally stolen from an Indian shrine, this riveting novel features the innovative Sergeant Cuff, the hilarious house steward Gabriel Betteridge, a lovesick housemaid, and a mysterious band of Indian jugglers.

This Modern Library Paperback Classic is set from the definitive 1871 edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:03 -0400)

Rachel Verrinder receives the stone as a gift and does not realize that it has been passed to her in a sinister form of revenge by John Herncastle who, it transpires, acquired the moonstone by means of murder and theft. The jewel also brings bad luck. The stone disappears on the very night it is given to Rachel, though, and the tale concerns the unveiling of the culprit after the intervention of Sergeant Cuff, a famous London detective.… (more)

Fifteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140434089, 0141198877

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,652,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible