Between Two Fires: Intimate Writings on…

Between Two Fires: Intimate Writings on Life, Love, Food, and Flavor

by Laura Esquivel

Lost interest on this one. I had high hopes when she started to write a story from a roach's point of view, but it didn't last. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Between Two Fires is a charming collection of Laura Esquivel's thoughts on the intersection of food, culture and the modern world, which are illustrated with these quirky drawings about Mexican life. These were all previously published in Mexican Vogue, newspapers/magazines or as prologues to books.

Esquivel really delves into her thought process in connecting food to romance, the basic idea behind her hit book Como Agua Para Chocolate. Esquivel believes that food is one of the roots of Mexican culture because it connects people with the past through ingredients and the communal act of sharing a meal. Love (both familial and romantic) is passed through cooking. She is also emphatic about this idea of the "New Man" - when culture will reject its complicated, fast-paced lifestyle for the simplicity and ideals of the past.

Her writings are largely agreeable and insightful, but I found "God is Above, The Devil Below!" disturbing because it plays on the racist attitude that indigenous Mexicans are some less than Mexicans with more Spanish blood. I read the translated version so it's impossible to tell if Esquivel is being genuine or sarcastic, but either way, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Esquivel does show her depth as a writer, however, by being able to transition from writing from romance to the silly, yet meaningful tales of Manchamanteles and Apolonio. The only thing that is stopping me from giving this book 4 stars is that the prologues lack context without the full text attached. ( )
  acgallegos91 | Jan 1, 2016 |
This book is basically a collection of 14 short speeches and introductions and forwards written by Esquivel for recipes or others' books. The stories are interesting and well written and the pages are beautifully illustrated. It probably takes about an hour to read so it's good for light reading. ( )
  jellyneckz | May 15, 2010 |

"The return to the kitchen was not easy. I wanted my daughter to know her past, to eat what I had eaten in my childhood; however, I quickly realized that I no longer remembered my family's recipes....I forced myself to try and remember a recipe on my own. And that is how I discovered, as I had already known in my childhood, that it was possible to hear voices in the kitchen."

Mexican novelist Laura Esquivel leapt to international fame with Like Water for Chocolate. With millions of copies sold in hardcover and paperback, and with the phenomenal success of the movie, it is truly one of the most beloved stories of the last decade. In her latest book, Between Two Fires, Laura Esquivel continues to sustain us on levels beyond the physical.

Between Two Fires is a wonderful collection of the best of her passionate speeches, short writings, and recipes from the last decade or so, most never published in English. Funny, poignant, imaginative, and insightful, Esquivel muses on all the topics we have come to associate with her -- love, life, family, and of course, the importance of food in all aspects of the human experience -- while also giving us a rare look at what makes her tick. Beautifully illustrated with delightful drawings, this gem is the perfect gift book for her many fans, as well as for foodies and readers of Latin literature everywhere.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:10 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,301,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible