To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To Kill a Mockingbird (1960)

by Harper Lee

47,55887212 (4.4)2 / 1693
Romans (41)
1960s (157)
Unread books (1,123)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (loriephillips)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Caramellunacy, rosylibrarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about a young girl in the South coming to terms with racism. Secret Life of Bees features an teenaged protagonist whereas To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout is quite a bit younger, but I thought there were themes that resonated between the two.… (more)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (paulkid)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    The Heart is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (dele2451, rosylibrarian, chrisharpe)
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: These books share a precocious narrator, vital family relationships, and themes that are funny and sad and thought provoking all at the same time. Extremely well written and engaging.
    Native Son by Richard Wright (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: An African-American facing an uphill battle against a highly prejudiced jury and public. Wright, like Lee, explores the dangers of the stereotypes created by insular and ignorant societies.
    Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books are two sides of the same coin of life in a small Alabama town. Where there's dignity and hope in Mockingbird, Other Voices is decadence and demoralization
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (bnbookgirl)
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (eclt83)
    eclt83: Goodnight, Mr Tom is as touching as To kill a mockingbird. Problems in society causes pain for the weaker.
    Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence (kxlly)
    The Stones Of Mourning Creek by Diane Les Becquets (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Sadie-rae_Kieran: Similar setting, 1960's in the south. Deals with some similar issues as well,including racism/discrimination. Though sad at times, a beautiful and touching story.
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (rarm)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (chrisharpe)
    A Painted House by John Grisham (infiniteletters)
    Scottsboro Boy by Haywood Patterson (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: For the real story of race relations in Alabama in the thirties, read this autobiography of Haywood Patterson, one of several young black men judicially railroaded for the rape of two young white women, and sentenced to death. A national and international campaign ultimately resulted in their exonerations, but their lives had already been destroyed.… (more)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (aamirq)
    The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter van Tilburg Clark (mysterymax)
    mysterymax: This book also explores mob/vigilante thinking and is a classic in its own way.
    Dovey Coe by Frances O'Roark Dowell (meggyweg)

English (840)  French (8)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Norwegian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (869)
My most favorite book of all time. ( )
  dogear360 | Jan 24, 2015 |
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee is a book I had to read in my English class last year. This is one of the two books, the other being Catcher in the Rye, that I actually enjoyed reading and overall thought it was really good. I tend to find books that I am forced to read in school boring and uninteresting which makes them difficult to read. However, I found that this book was a pretty easy read because the plot was interesting making it easier to follow. Its for sure one of the best books I have read for school. I feel like this is one of those books that everyone should read before they graduate high school. It really allows you to feel like your are in the characters life and experiencing what they are experiencing. One of my favorite things about this novel is that some parts of the book remind me of when I was a little kid. Furthermore, It brings up a controversial issue of black and white segregation in the southern states in America. It shows racism through the perspective of young children. Harper Lee does a great job of examining both racist people and non racist people. Additionally, each and every person that reads this book reads it a little different. This means that each and every person will get a different impact from it. At the end of the day, this book will always be an inspiration for any person willing to give it a chance. This truly was an amazing book. ( )
  kristinjaspers | Jan 22, 2015 |
For me, this book is one of those essential, formulative reads that I read when young, multiple times. It's a short book and I found it easy to read, but the story is poignant and the characters are enthralling. Set in a time of hardship, there is goodness in this book. I believe everyone should read it at least once in their lives. ( )
  Xandylion | Jan 19, 2015 |
Wow. I can't believe I did not read this book in high school. But as I recently found in The Grapes of Wrath, even if I did read something in high school, it didn't mean I could appreciate it. Although I think I would have at least enjoyed this. I don't think there is much I need to say here, there is no disputing the supremacy of this piece of southern fiction. I look forward to our book club discussion! ( )
  MaureenCean | Jan 10, 2015 |
"To Kill a Mockingbird" is a classic novel for people of all ages. This coming-of-age story seen through the eyes of a young girl, offers up an idealistic, somewhat fanciful ending to the plot, making it especially wonderful for young adult reading. The book’s appeal has been consistently positive ever since it’s publication in 1960 and being awarded the Pulitzer Prize for fiction the following year.

The story takes place in Alabama during the mid 1930’s. Atticus Finch is a widower raising two precocious children with the help of a black maid/cook/house-keeper by the name of Calpurnia. Jean Louise - nicknamed Scout - is five years old when the story begins. Her brother Jem is nine. Scout is the narrator as a preteen… looking back at events that occurred several years prior. But don’t let that discourage you. Scout is wise beyond her years. She is very observant and curious. She could have been the one that inspired the phrase, “out of the mouth of babes”.

The character development is impeccable from the gossipy neighborhood ladies to the prissy young school teacher. The children, including Scout and Jem’s neighborhood playmate Dill, come to life and seem authentic… perhaps because the story is semi-autobiographical. Harper Lee is in fact Scout. And Dill was really Harper Lee’s childhood playmate… none other than Truman Capote.

The children’s antics are amusing and if you are fortunate, you may in some way evoke nostalgic emotions of your own childhood memories.

The plot is multi faceted. Above all, it is about racial relations and bigotry in the South during those years. A black man is on trial for allegedly raping a white woman. Mr. Finch is the defense attorney. Other themes involve the nature of good and evil, the blind acceptance of cultural norms, and how difficult it is to break out of old narrow minded prejudices and deal with personal issues in an objective manner.

Mr. Finch is the epitome of morality. And in the narrating of this quintessential fable of dealing with the tragedy of miscarriage of justice, it is precious how Scout - with innocence and naivety - brings wisdom and hope to the reader. Artistically speaking, "To Kill a Mockingbird" is flawless - a perfect novel. ( )
1 vote LadyLo | Jan 9, 2015 |
A book that we thought instructed us about the world tells us, instead, about the limitations of Jim Crow liberalism in Maycomb, Alabama.

Its sentiments and moral grandeur are as unimpeachable as the character of its hero, Atticus. ... It's time to stop pretending that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is some kind of timeless classic that ranks with the great works of American literature. Its bloodless liberal humanism is sadly dated, as pristinely preserved in its pages as the dinosaur DNA in "Jurassic Park."

Author Lee, 34, an Alabaman, has written her first novel with all of the tactile brilliance and none of the preciosity generally supposed to be standard swamp-warfare issue for Southern writers. The novel is an account of an awakening to good and evil, and a faint catechistic flavor may have been inevitable. But it is faint indeed; Novelist Lee's prose has an edge that cuts through cant, and she teaches the reader an astonishing number of useful truths about little girls and about Southern life.
added by Shortride | editTime (pay site) (Aug 1, 1960)

There are some improbable and sentimental moments in the story, but there are also great moments of laughter that belong to memory and a novelist's hand... Miss Lee's original characters are people to cherish in this winning first novel by a fresh writer with something significant to say, South and North.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Herbert Mitgang (pay site) (Jul 13, 1960)

The dialogue of Miss Lee's refreshingly varied characters is a constant delight in its authenticity and swift revelation of personality. The events connecting the Finches with the Ewell-Robinson lawsuit develop quietly and logically, unifying the plot and dramatizing the author's level-headed plea for interracial understanding... Moviegoing readers will be able to cast most of the roles very quickly, but it is no disparagement of Miss Lee's winning book to say that it could be the basis of an excellent film.

Lee, Harperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Westerlund, MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westerlund, MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westrup, Jadwiga P.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawyers, I suppose, were children once. - Charles Lamb
Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
~ Charles Lamb
For Mr. Lee and Alice
in consideration of Love and Affection
People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions, but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
Not from, but about To Kill a Mockingbird, with apologies:

Monroeville, Alabama
January, 1966

Editor, The News Leader:

Recently I have received echoes down this way of the Hanover County School Board’s activities, and what I’ve heard makes me wonder if any of its members can read.

Surely it is plain to the simplest intelligence that “To Kill a Mockingbird” spells out in words of seldom more than two syllables a code of honor and conduct, Christian in its ethic, that is the heritage of all Southerners. To hear that the novel is “immoral” has made me count the years between now and 1984, for I have yet to come across a better example of doublethink.

I feel, however, that the problem is one of illiteracy, not Marxism. Therefore I enclose a small contribution to the Beadle Bumble Fund that I hope will be used to enroll the Hanover County School Board in any first grade of its choice.

Harper Lee
'Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.' To Kill A Mockingbird is a coming of age story set in the deep south during the time of the Great Depression. Atticus Finch, father of Scout and Finch decides to represent a black man, accused of raping a white woman, in court. Although this stirrs up the town during a much heated and racist time during America's history, it sheds a light on the hostility of the south during the 1930's. Filled with insight and suspense, To Kill A Mockingbird is a timeless story that any one can learn something from.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446310786, Mass Market Paperback)

"When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.... When enough years had gone by to enable us to look back on them, we sometimes discussed the events leading to his accident. I maintain that the Ewells started it all, but Jem, who was four years my senior, said it started long before that. He said it began the summer Dill came to us, when Dill first gave us the idea of making Boo Radley come out."

Set in the small Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama, during the Depression, To Kill a Mockingbird follows three years in the life of 8-year-old Scout Finch, her brother, Jem, and their father, Atticus--three years punctuated by the arrest and eventual trial of a young black man accused of raping a white woman. Though her story explores big themes, Harper Lee chooses to tell it through the eyes of a child. The result is a tough and tender novel of race, class, justice, and the pain of growing up.

Like the slow-moving occupants of her fictional town, Lee takes her time getting to the heart of her tale; we first meet the Finches the summer before Scout's first year at school. She, her brother, and Dill Harris, a boy who spends the summers with his aunt in Maycomb, while away the hours reenacting scenes from Dracula and plotting ways to get a peek at the town bogeyman, Boo Radley. At first the circumstances surrounding the alleged rape of Mayella Ewell, the daughter of a drunk and violent white farmer, barely penetrate the children's consciousness. Then Atticus is called on to defend the accused, Tom Robinson, and soon Scout and Jem find themselves caught up in events beyond their understanding. During the trial, the town exhibits its ugly side, but Lee offers plenty of counterbalance as well--in the struggle of an elderly woman to overcome her morphine habit before she dies; in the heroism of Atticus Finch, standing up for what he knows is right; and finally in Scout's hard-won understanding that most people are essentially kind "when you really see them." By turns funny, wise, and heartbreaking, To Kill a Mockingbird is one classic that continues to speak to new generations, and deserves to be reread often. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:20 -0400)

The explosion of racial hate in an Alabama town is viewed by a little girl whose father defends a black man accused of rape.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,159,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible