dismiss

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To Kill a Mockingbird (1960)

by Harper Lee

62,869123011 (4.39)2 / 2292
The explosion of racial hate in an Alabama town is viewed by a little girl whose father defends a black man accused of rape.
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Caramellunacy, rosylibrarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about a young girl in the South coming to terms with racism. Secret Life of Bees features an teenaged protagonist whereas To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout is quite a bit younger, but I thought there were themes that resonated between the two.… (more)
    The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (dele2451, rosylibrarian, chrisharpe)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (paulkid)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Native Son by Richard Wright (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: An African-American facing an uphill battle against a highly prejudiced jury and public. Wright, like Lee, explores the dangers of the stereotypes created by insular and ignorant societies.
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (atimco)
    atimco: These books share a precocious narrator, vital family relationships, and themes that are funny and sad and thought provoking all at the same time. Extremely well written and engaging.
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books are two sides of the same coin of life in a small Alabama town. Where there's dignity and hope in Mockingbird, Other Voices is decadence and demoralization
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (bnbookgirl)
    Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian (eclt83)
    eclt83: Goodnight, Mr Tom is as touching as To kill a mockingbird. Problems in society causes pain for the weaker.
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (LKAYC)
    Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence (kxlly)
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (rarm)
    The Stones Of Mourning Creek by Diane Les Becquets (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Sadie-rae_Kieran: Similar setting, 1960's in the south. Deals with some similar issues as well,including racism/discrimination. Though sad at times, a beautiful and touching story.
    Home by Toni Morrison (Louve_de_mer)
    Louve_de_mer: Pour les problèmes de ségrégation raciale aux États-Unis.
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (chrisharpe)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (aamirq)
    A Painted House by John Grisham (infiniteletters)
    The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter Van Tilburg Clark (mysterymax)
    mysterymax: This book also explores mob/vigilante thinking and is a classic in its own way.
    Scottsboro Boy by Haywood Patterson (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: For the real story of race relations in Alabama in the thirties, read this autobiography of Haywood Patterson, one of several young black men judicially railroaded for the rape of two young white women, and sentenced to death. A national and international campaign ultimately resulted in their exonerations, but their lives had already been destroyed.… (more)

Romans (41)
. (1)

English (1,174)  Spanish (13)  French (9)  Catalan (6)  German (6)  Italian (5)  Dutch (4)  Hungarian (3)  Norwegian (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,229)
For my next selection I will be reviewing is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
This book's theme sets out in the south, around the 1950’s. With the main characters' names being Scout and Jem. This story is basically about a pair of siblings growing up to reality. Scout and Jem's father is a lawyer who fights for a black man's case. This case consists of a white women accusing a black man of raping her, what really happened was almost the opposite. This white lady named Mayella Violet Ewell, actually tried to seduce him! So Scout and Jem have to grow up to this, and they realize what was wrong with the world at the time. Scout and Jem realize that people are going to be treated for how they look. And this is not okay. Long story short Atticus tells the Jury that our founding fathers made this constitution for every man to be equal, not only white men. The black man (Tom) was later falsely accused of rape, and sent to prison. He got scared and tried to run away but got shot 17 times.

This book interested me off the start, I love books about people doing things for good, even if everyone is against you. And this book caught my eye. I can not even count on my fingers how many times this book has been recommended to me by others. I read it and I was satisfied. So therefore I recommend this book to as many people that love a good book that you can't put down. ( )
  CKelly.ELA4 | May 28, 2020 |
An absolutely amazing book.

The description of serious matters as rape and racism through the eyes of a child can easily seem hackneyed, but somehow, it didn't. Rather, the vividness of these, juxtaposed with the early childhood innocence, created a magical feeling. This compelled me to rate this as nothing less than a classic.

The suspense between hope and broken promises, the clash between Scout's innocence and Ewell's unscrupulousness pushes the plot forward - there was barely a boring moment - all without invoking the adrenaline induced excitement.

Recommended to anyone, of any taste and any age. ( )
  MahiShafiullah | May 25, 2020 |
IMO, this is a classic but not a keeper. I'm glad to have read it. But having done so, I'm now done with it. It's a fascinating character study. It's a good picture of a point in American history. But do I love it? No. Did it shock me? No. In some ways it didn't even interest me. I am glad a plot finally showed up toward the end, but its pacing and hard-to-locate plot activity did remind me of other classic books (Tom Sawyer, Jane Austen novels, etc) where the characters are the focus instead of the actual events.

Yes, yes, there was a plot and wasn't it shocking that the trial was racially prejudiced and the white lawyer was treated poorly by some of the townsfolk for defending the black man. Meh. I live in the US. I know how my countrymen are. Frankly, if anything, I'm a little surprised at HOW Tom died, not that he did. I fully expected a lynching.

Is this a classic book? Yes.
Is it worth reading? Yes.
Do I like it? No, but neither do I dislike it.

It has some neat descriptions, and some good concepts, but it isn't worth the hype it gets. If you haven't read it, you probably should. It's good. It's worth reading. But I'm glad I read a library copy.

(Side note: I listened to the audio version narrated by Sissy Spacek. I'm glad I did. I think it would have been a slog to read on my own, and I may have DNF'd it due to boredom with the slow pacing.) ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
This is the best book on fatherhood I've ever read. Atticus Finch has to be one of the best role models in all of fiction.

The book is cozy, comfy, funny, heartbreaking, touching, brutally honest, and life affirming. The writing is so poetic and smooth that you don't notice the pages turning. It's an absolute classic for great reason. ( )
  yazzy12 | May 17, 2020 |
This book is about a case of a colored man raping a white women from the perspective of a small kid Jean Louise. Liked the way author has narrated this story from a kid perspective who does my know what is rape and how colored persons were treated in those days.There is also a moral in this story which says evil always die some way or the other. This is again a GOODREADS... ( )
  ShriVenne | May 14, 2020 |
Mockingbird is not necessarily as widely admired among scholars of US literature as it is among its fans. I once enraged an audience of very nice book-lovers at the Cheltenham literary festival by suggesting that Mockingbird was just the teensiest bit overrated. There are many reasons for this assessment, not least the feeling that Atticus Finch’s famous moral rectitude is, in point of fact, disturbingly flexible. He tells Scout: “Before I can live with other folks, I’ve got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.” That’s all well and good, and a fine American sentiment that goes at least back to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. But part of Mark Twain’s radical move in that novel is to make his hero an illiterate backwoods boy; Lee’s hero is a virtuous, middle-class white man, full of noblesse oblige to the black people he defends (who revere him for it), but who doesn’t bat an eyelid at the common knowledge that the illiterate, white-trash Mayella Ewell is regularly raped and beaten by her father.

added by SnootyBaronet | editThe Guardian

Its sentiments and moral grandeur are as unimpeachable as the character of its hero, Atticus. ... It's time to stop pretending that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is some kind of timeless classic that ranks with the great works of American literature. Its bloodless liberal humanism is sadly dated, as pristinely preserved in its pages as the dinosaur DNA in "Jurassic Park."
added by LT_Ammar | editThe Wall Street Journal, Allen Barra

A book that we thought instructed us about the world tells us, instead, about the limitations of Jim Crow liberalism in Maycomb, Alabama.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New Yorker, Malcolm Gladwell

There are some improbable and sentimental moments in the story, but there are also great moments of laughter that belong to memory and a novelist's hand... Miss Lee's original characters are people to cherish in this winning first novel by a fresh writer with something significant to say, South and North.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New York Times, Herbert Mitgang

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
~ Charles Lamb
For Mr. Lee and Alice
in consideration of Love & Affection
When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.
Please spare Mockingbird an Introduction. (From the Foreword by Harper Lee)
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions, but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
Not from, but about To Kill a Mockingbird, with apologies:

Monroeville, Alabama
January, 1966

Editor, The News Leader:

Recently I have received echoes down this way of the Hanover County School Board’s activities, and what I’ve heard makes me wonder if any of its members can read.

Surely it is plain to the simplest intelligence that “To Kill a Mockingbird” spells out in words of seldom more than two syllables a code of honor and conduct, Christian in its ethic, that is the heritage of all Southerners. To hear that the novel is “immoral” has made me count the years between now and 1984, for I have yet to come across a better example of doublethink.

I feel, however, that the problem is one of illiteracy, not Marxism. Therefore I enclose a small contribution to the Beadle Bumble Fund that I hope will be used to enroll the Hanover County School Board in any first grade of its choice.

Harper Lee

"To Kill a Mockingbird" was my absolute favorite books to read in school. I would maybe wait to have students read this until middle High School but I think it can be a great learning experience for students. The topics of this book raises awareness about rape, racial inequality, and family. The way that my teacher in High School set up her lesson was that she had everyone in her classroom dress up like a character from a book and make everyone talk and act like that given character. It was fun to watch what everyone wanted to dress like so it will for sure go into my teacher toolbox.
Scout recalls her youth
Mad dogs, rabid mob threaten
Lawyer Dad defends.
(pickupsticks)
Dad says it's O.K.
To kill a blue jay. But not
A mockingbird. Why?
(pickupsticks)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,420,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible