To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To Kill a Mockingbird (1960)

by Harper Lee

45,465None13 (4.41)2 / 1594
Recently added bymhmr, smitha_1988, ktmz, Miss.Oscar, calenmiriel, Y2Ash, schmokay, EmilyKM, private library
20th century (386) Alabama (355) America (202) American (490) American literature (738) American South (311) childhood (258) classic (1,874) Classic Literature (170) classics (1,122) coming of age (443) family (210) favorite (204) fiction (4,444) historical fiction (303) law (220) literature (684) novel (664) own (219) Pulitzer (188) Pulitzer Prize (394) race (327) race relations (240) racism (1,165) read (672) South (277) southern (262) to-read (229) USA (218) young adult (170)
(17)
Unread books (1,070)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (loriephillips)
    The Heart is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (dele2451, RosyLibrarian, chrisharpe)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (paulkid)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: These books share a precocious narrator, vital family relationships, and themes that are funny and sad and thought provoking all at the same time. Extremely well written and engaging.
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Caramellunacy, RosyLibrarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about a young girl in the South coming to terms with racism. Secret Life of Bees features an teenaged protagonist whereas To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout is quite a bit younger, but I thought there were themes that resonated between the two.… (more)
    Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Native Son by Richard Wright (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: An African-American facing an uphill battle against a highly prejudiced jury and public. Wright, like Lee, explores the dangers of the stereotypes created by insular and ignorant societies.
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books are two sides of the same coin of life in a small Alabama town. Where there's dignity and hope in Mockingbird, Other Voices is decadence and demoralization
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (bnbookgirl)
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (eclt83)
    eclt83: Goodnight, Mr Tom is as touching as To kill a mockingbird. Problems in society causes pain for the weaker.
    Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence (kxlly)
    The Stones Of Mourning Creek by Diane Les Becquets (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Sadie-rae_Kieran: Similar setting, 1960's in the south. Deals with some similar issues as well,including racism/discrimination. Though sad at times, a beautiful and touching story.
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (chrisharpe)
    A Painted House by John Grisham (infiniteletters)
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (rarm)
    The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter van Tilburg Clark (mysterymax)
    mysterymax: This book also explores mob/vigilante thinking and is a classic in its own way.
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (aamirq)
    Scottsboro Boy by Haywood Patterson (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: For the real story of race relations in Alabama in the thirties, read this autobiography of Haywood Patterson, one of several young black men judicially railroaded for the rape of two young white women, and sentenced to death. A national and international campaign ultimately resulted in their exonerations, but their lives had already been destroyed.… (more)
    Dovey Coe by Frances O'Roark Dowell (meggyweg)

English (780)  French (7)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  Italian (3)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  Norwegian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (808)
Probably not quite as good as I remember it being when I read it years ago. ( )
  maryreinert | Apr 12, 2014 |
The entire book was generally excellent. It's hard to pinpoint one favorite thing. The plot and characters are all really good. The ending was climactic and unexpected. ( )
2 vote SebastianHagelstein | Mar 29, 2014 |
Summary:
To Kill a Mocking Bird is about the a little 8 year old Scout. The biggest point of the book is a trial for a black man who is accused of rape but it innocent but supposedly proven guilty by a lot of white, racist men. Scout sneaks into the trial and though she doesn't understand much, she believes the girl who accused the man of rape was a liar. The man ends up getting shot by a white man and his family grief's. Scout is chased by a man and saved by her father. The book is very good.

Personal Reaction:
I loved this book so much, not only because it shows the true effects of racism throughout the whole trial, while showing hoe great of a man Scout's father is, but because there is a background plot of a young girl who just wants to see peace. It could show the children that there are bad people in the world, but also good ones, and it is important for children to understand this reality, even though that specific trial didn't happen.

Classroom extensions:
1. The children could discuss the effects of racism and how to prevent it in the future.
2. The children could make a board game like the one Scout played with her brother.
3. The children could watch a film on racism to understand it more. ( )
  KendraAdams | Mar 26, 2014 |
To Kill a Mockingbird is the story of racial injustice in the mid-20th century south. The narrative centers on Scout Finch’s family and her observations of the town around them.

To Kill a Mockingbird, published in 1960, is classified as a Bildungsroman, or coming of age novel, and a Southern Gothic novel. Southern Gothic is a uniquely American literature, taking place completely in the Deep South. To Kill a Mockingbird illustrates this through the racism prevalent throughout the novel as well as the idiosyncratic characters, especially Boo Radley. The character of Atticus Finch is one of the greatest in literature. He is a normal man who steps up to do the right thing, no matter the cost.

Harper Lee based the book loosely on events in her own childhood, growing up in rural Alabama. She paints the characters with unique characteristics that make them seem like people you would know in real life, and creates a town that seems like a place you’ve visited before.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. As a Southerner myself, I could see people I knew in childhood throughout this novel. Although I grew up in a very different time period, it still rings true.
  aharey | Mar 19, 2014 |
Just re-read this book for the second time. I love this book. I LOVE this book. This time around I really found that Lee was reminiscent of Mark Twain. It makes me think of growing up and summertimes in north west Florida.

I'm bumping it up a star. It was a great reminder of what I started law school for.

25 Jun 2009
I shockingly had never read this before. I picked it up because it was recommened as so-called 'legal fiction', and while I probably would fail to categorize it that way, it's still an amazingly elegant and brilliant book. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
A book that we thought instructed us about the world tells us, instead, about the limitations of Jim Crow liberalism in Maycomb, Alabama.

Its sentiments and moral grandeur are as unimpeachable as the character of its hero, Atticus. ... It's time to stop pretending that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is some kind of timeless classic that ranks with the great works of American literature. Its bloodless liberal humanism is sadly dated, as pristinely preserved in its pages as the dinosaur DNA in "Jurassic Park."

Author Lee, 34, an Alabaman, has written her first novel with all of the tactile brilliance and none of the preciosity generally supposed to be standard swamp-warfare issue for Southern writers. The novel is an account of an awakening to good and evil, and a faint catechistic flavor may have been inevitable. But it is faint indeed; Novelist Lee's prose has an edge that cuts through cant, and she teaches the reader an astonishing number of useful truths about little girls and about Southern life.
added by Shortride | editTime (Aug 1, 1960)

There are some improbable and sentimental moments in the story, but there are also great moments of laughter that belong to memory and a novelist's hand... Miss Lee's original characters are people to cherish in this winning first novel by a fresh writer with something significant to say, South and North.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Herbert Mitgang (pay site) (Jul 13, 1960)

The dialogue of Miss Lee's refreshingly varied characters is a constant delight in its authenticity and swift revelation of personality. The events connecting the Finches with the Ewell-Robinson lawsuit develop quietly and logically, unifying the plot and dramatizing the author's level-headed plea for interracial understanding... Moviegoing readers will be able to cast most of the roles very quickly, but it is no disparagement of Miss Lee's winning book to say that it could be the basis of an excellent film.

Lee, Harperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Westerlund, MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westerlund, MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westrup, Jadwiga P.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawyers, I suppose, were children once. - Charles Lamb
Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
~ Charles Lamb
For Mr. Lee and Alice
in consideration of Love and Affection
People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions, but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
Not from, but about To Kill a Mockingbird, with apologies:

Monroeville, Alabama
January, 1966

Editor, The News Leader:

Recently I have received echoes down this way of the Hanover County School Board’s activities, and what I’ve heard makes me wonder if any of its members can read.

Surely it is plain to the simplest intelligence that “To Kill a Mockingbird” spells out in words of seldom more than two syllables a code of honor and conduct, Christian in its ethic, that is the heritage of all Southerners. To hear that the novel is “immoral” has made me count the years between now and 1984, for I have yet to come across a better example of doublethink.

I feel, however, that the problem is one of illiteracy, not Marxism. Therefore I enclose a small contribution to the Beadle Bumble Fund that I hope will be used to enroll the Hanover County School Board in any first grade of its choice.

Harper Lee
'Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.' To Kill A Mockingbird is a coming of age story set in the deep south during the time of the Great Depression. Atticus Finch, father of Scout and Finch decides to represent a black man, accused of raping a white woman, in court. Although this stirrs up the town during a much heated and racist time during America's history, it sheds a light on the hostility of the south during the 1930's. Filled with insight and suspense, To Kill A Mockingbird is a timeless story that any one can learn something from.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446310786, Mass Market Paperback)

"When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.... When enough years had gone by to enable us to look back on them, we sometimes discussed the events leading to his accident. I maintain that the Ewells started it all, but Jem, who was four years my senior, said it started long before that. He said it began the summer Dill came to us, when Dill first gave us the idea of making Boo Radley come out."

Set in the small Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama, during the Depression, To Kill a Mockingbird follows three years in the life of 8-year-old Scout Finch, her brother, Jem, and their father, Atticus--three years punctuated by the arrest and eventual trial of a young black man accused of raping a white woman. Though her story explores big themes, Harper Lee chooses to tell it through the eyes of a child. The result is a tough and tender novel of race, class, justice, and the pain of growing up.

Like the slow-moving occupants of her fictional town, Lee takes her time getting to the heart of her tale; we first meet the Finches the summer before Scout's first year at school. She, her brother, and Dill Harris, a boy who spends the summers with his aunt in Maycomb, while away the hours reenacting scenes from Dracula and plotting ways to get a peek at the town bogeyman, Boo Radley. At first the circumstances surrounding the alleged rape of Mayella Ewell, the daughter of a drunk and violent white farmer, barely penetrate the children's consciousness. Then Atticus is called on to defend the accused, Tom Robinson, and soon Scout and Jem find themselves caught up in events beyond their understanding. During the trial, the town exhibits its ugly side, but Lee offers plenty of counterbalance as well--in the struggle of an elderly woman to overcome her morphine habit before she dies; in the heroism of Atticus Finch, standing up for what he knows is right; and finally in Scout's hard-won understanding that most people are essentially kind "when you really see them." By turns funny, wise, and heartbreaking, To Kill a Mockingbird is one classic that continues to speak to new generations, and deserves to be reread often. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:20 -0400)

Racial animosity is aroused in an Alabama town when a little girl's father defends a black man accused of rape.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,439,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible