Zabić drozda by Harper Lee

Zabić drozda (original 1960; edition 1979)

by Harper Lee, Zofia Kierszys (Tł.)

61,430120911 (4.39)2 / 2270
The explosion of racial hate in an Alabama town is viewed by a little girl whose father defends a black man accused of rape.
Member:otryt
Title:Zabić drozda
Authors:Harper Lee
Other authors:Zofia Kierszys (Tł.)
Info:Warszawa : "Książka i Wiedza", 1979.
Tags:Igor

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1960)

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Caramellunacy, rosylibrarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about a young girl in the South coming to terms with racism. Secret Life of Bees features an teenaged protagonist whereas To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout is quite a bit younger, but I thought there were themes that resonated between the two.… (more)
    The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (dele2451, rosylibrarian, chrisharpe)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (paulkid)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    Snow Falling on Cedars: A Novel by David Guterson (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Native Son by Richard Wright (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: An African-American facing an uphill battle against a highly prejudiced jury and public. Wright, like Lee, explores the dangers of the stereotypes created by insular and ignorant societies.
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (atimco)
    atimco: These books share a precocious narrator, vital family relationships, and themes that are funny and sad and thought provoking all at the same time. Extremely well written and engaging.
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (bnbookgirl)
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books are two sides of the same coin of life in a small Alabama town. Where there's dignity and hope in Mockingbird, Other Voices is decadence and demoralization
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (eclt83)
    eclt83: Goodnight, Mr Tom is as touching as To kill a mockingbird. Problems in society causes pain for the weaker.
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (rarm)
    The Stones Of Mourning Creek by Diane Les Becquets (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Sadie-rae_Kieran: Similar setting, 1960's in the south. Deals with some similar issues as well,including racism/discrimination. Though sad at times, a beautiful and touching story.
    Home by Toni Morrison (Louve_de_mer)
    Louve_de_mer: Pour les problèmes de ségrégation raciale aux États-Unis.
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (LKAYC)
    A Painted House by John Grisham (infiniteletters)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (aamirq)
    Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence (kxlly)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (chrisharpe)
    Scottsboro Boy by Haywood Patterson (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: For the real story of race relations in Alabama in the thirties, read this autobiography of Haywood Patterson, one of several young black men judicially railroaded for the rape of two young white women, and sentenced to death. A national and international campaign ultimately resulted in their exonerations, but their lives had already been destroyed.… (more)
    The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter Van Tilburg Clark (mysterymax)
    mysterymax: This book also explores mob/vigilante thinking and is a classic in its own way.

Romans (41)
. (1)

English (1,151)  Spanish (13)  French (9)  Catalan (6)  German (6)  Italian (6)  Dutch (4)  Hungarian (3)  Norwegian (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (1,205)
A classic, if a bit dated. I wonder if it's still required reading in school...? Recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | Jan 4, 2020 |
Excellent look inside the south. It pains me to know that things haven't much changed when it comes to PoC and whites. Not just in the south, but all over this country. It's a book that should be read by everyone, and be required reading in high school. Things will never change if they don't change from the core. The mockingbird in this story was convicted and died because of the color of his skin, and because he had the misfortune of living in the wrong place at the wrong time. But who's to say this wouldn't happen all over again, in today's world? ( )
  LilyRoseShadowlyn | Dec 24, 2019 |
This book is about a lawyer named Atticus who is trying to defend a black man (his name is Tom Robinson) accused with the rape of a white girl. Also Jem and Scout, Atticus' children, have to discover the secrets about Boo Radley. The main characters in this book are Jean Louise, Atticus, and Jem. The problem in the story is that Atticus has to try his hardest to convince the people of Maycomb that Tom is innocent. The story takes place in Maycomb, Alabama.The problem in the story is not actually solved because Tom Robinson ends up in jail then shot, but Jem and Scout finally find out about Boo Radley's secrets. The villain in this story is Bob Ewell because Atticus accused him at Tom Robinson's trial so for that Bob told Atticus that he'd get Atticus if it took the rest of his life.
--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​
My favorite part in this book is when Jem and Scout finally got to meet Boo Radley. My least favorite part is when Tom Robinson gets shot because he was trying to escape jail. I don't even understand why he had to go to jail if he didn't even commit the crime. My favorite character in this story is Jem because we both kinda have the same personalities, for example, we both like football and we're both older than our siblings. The only thing we don't have in common is the fact that he's 12 and more mature but i'm 13 but goofy. Another part that I liked in the book was when Jem and Scout got BB guns for Christmas and got to shoot all the birds they wanted to shoot. However Atticus said its a sin to kill mockingbirds because if you kill one then you can't hear the beautiful music that they produce. I really like this book because it's a classic and the book is in fact one of the best I'v read so far. ( )
  SVault.ELA2 | Dec 18, 2019 |
I read this in high school and decided to make it a part of a group read challenge so I could have the need to reread it. It was just as powerful the second time around. I'd forgotten most of the parts that didn't pertain to Atticus's trial, so I wasn't able to remember the real heart of the book. It's so hard to think that a book could make you feel so many emotions, including laughter, heartache, and love. Every minute of reading this was a pleasure. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
A classic story of childhood and prejudice in a sleepy Southern town. I first read this book in high school for English, but as was the case with many required reads, a certain degree of reluctance kept me from fully appreciating the story. Re-reading it now of my own volition, I found myself really liking the story. It captured the innocence and disregard of childhood, while also showcasing a complex plot that can be understood by adults. While it isn't my favorite book, and given the genre and the story, is not something I would have picked up on my own, I did really enjoy this and I'm glad I read it again, as its morals and messages are still very relevant today. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Dec 9, 2019 |
Mockingbird is not necessarily as widely admired among scholars of US literature as it is among its fans. I once enraged an audience of very nice book-lovers at the Cheltenham literary festival by suggesting that Mockingbird was just the teensiest bit overrated. There are many reasons for this assessment, not least the feeling that Atticus Finch’s famous moral rectitude is, in point of fact, disturbingly flexible. He tells Scout: “Before I can live with other folks, I’ve got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.” That’s all well and good, and a fine American sentiment that goes at least back to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. But part of Mark Twain’s radical move in that novel is to make his hero an illiterate backwoods boy; Lee’s hero is a virtuous, middle-class white man, full of noblesse oblige to the black people he defends (who revere him for it), but who doesn’t bat an eyelid at the common knowledge that the illiterate, white-trash Mayella Ewell is regularly raped and beaten by her father.

added by SnootyBaronet | editThe Guardian

Its sentiments and moral grandeur are as unimpeachable as the character of its hero, Atticus. ... It's time to stop pretending that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is some kind of timeless classic that ranks with the great works of American literature. Its bloodless liberal humanism is sadly dated, as pristinely preserved in its pages as the dinosaur DNA in "Jurassic Park."
added by LT_Ammar | editThe Wall Street Journal, Allen Barra

A book that we thought instructed us about the world tells us, instead, about the limitations of Jim Crow liberalism in Maycomb, Alabama.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New Yorker, Malcolm Gladwell

There are some improbable and sentimental moments in the story, but there are also great moments of laughter that belong to memory and a novelist's hand... Miss Lee's original characters are people to cherish in this winning first novel by a fresh writer with something significant to say, South and North.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New York Times, Herbert Mitgang

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
~ Charles Lamb
For Mr. Lee and Alice
in consideration of Love & Affection
When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.
Please spare Mockingbird an Introduction. (From the Foreword by Harper Lee)
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions, but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
Not from, but about To Kill a Mockingbird, with apologies:

Monroeville, Alabama
January, 1966

Editor, The News Leader:

Recently I have received echoes down this way of the Hanover County School Board’s activities, and what I’ve heard makes me wonder if any of its members can read.

Surely it is plain to the simplest intelligence that “To Kill a Mockingbird” spells out in words of seldom more than two syllables a code of honor and conduct, Christian in its ethic, that is the heritage of all Southerners. To hear that the novel is “immoral” has made me count the years between now and 1984, for I have yet to come across a better example of doublethink.

I feel, however, that the problem is one of illiteracy, not Marxism. Therefore I enclose a small contribution to the Beadle Bumble Fund that I hope will be used to enroll the Hanover County School Board in any first grade of its choice.

Harper Lee

"To Kill a Mockingbird" was my absolute favorite books to read in school. I would maybe wait to have students read this until middle High School but I think it can be a great learning experience for students. The topics of this book raises awareness about rape, racial inequality, and family. The way that my teacher in High School set up her lesson was that she had everyone in her classroom dress up like a character from a book and make everyone talk and act like that given character. It was fun to watch what everyone wanted to dress like so it will for sure go into my teacher toolbox.
Scout recalls her youth
Mad dogs, rabid mob threaten
Lawyer Dad defends.
(pickupsticks)
Dad says it's O.K.
To kill a blue jay. But not
A mockingbird. Why?
(pickupsticks)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,654,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible