dismiss

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To Kill a Mockingbird (original 1960; edition 1962)

by Harper Lee

63,604124711 (4.38)2 / 2305
The explosion of racial hate in an Alabama town is viewed by a little girl whose father defends a black man accused of rape.
Member:beefviper
Title:To Kill a Mockingbird
Authors:Harper Lee
Info:Popular Library (1962), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 284 pages
Rating:*****

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1960)

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Caramellunacy, rosylibrarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about a young girl in the South coming to terms with racism. Secret Life of Bees features an teenaged protagonist whereas To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout is quite a bit younger, but I thought there were themes that resonated between the two.… (more)
    The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (dele2451, rosylibrarian, chrisharpe)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (paulkid)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Native Son by Richard Wright (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: An African-American facing an uphill battle against a highly prejudiced jury and public. Wright, like Lee, explores the dangers of the stereotypes created by insular and ignorant societies.
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (atimco)
    atimco: These books share a precocious narrator, vital family relationships, and themes that are funny and sad and thought provoking all at the same time. Extremely well written and engaging.
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (bnbookgirl)
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books are two sides of the same coin of life in a small Alabama town. Where there's dignity and hope in Mockingbird, Other Voices is decadence and demoralization
    Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian (eclt83)
    eclt83: Goodnight, Mr Tom is as touching as To kill a mockingbird. Problems in society causes pain for the weaker.
    A Painted House by John Grisham (infiniteletters)
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (rarm)
    The Stones Of Mourning Creek by Diane Les Becquets (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Sadie-rae_Kieran: Similar setting, 1960's in the south. Deals with some similar issues as well,including racism/discrimination. Though sad at times, a beautiful and touching story.
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (LKAYC)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (chrisharpe)
    Home by Toni Morrison (Louve_de_mer)
    Louve_de_mer: Pour les problèmes de ségrégation raciale aux États-Unis.
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (aamirq)
    Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence (kxlly)
    The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter Van Tilburg Clark (mysterymax)
    mysterymax: This book also explores mob/vigilante thinking and is a classic in its own way.
    Scottsboro Boy by Haywood Patterson (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: For the real story of race relations in Alabama in the thirties, read this autobiography of Haywood Patterson, one of several young black men judicially railroaded for the rape of two young white women, and sentenced to death. A national and international campaign ultimately resulted in their exonerations, but their lives had already been destroyed.… (more)

Romans (41)
. (1)

English (1,184)  Spanish (14)  French (9)  Catalan (6)  Italian (6)  German (6)  Dutch (4)  Hungarian (3)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,241)
Az egyik legkülönösebb könyv, amit eddig olvastam. Ha láttam is a belőle készült filmet tinikoromban nem emlékszem rá - szerencsére. Így nem befolyásolt... Gyermeki nézőpont nem gyereknek való témákhoz. Erős kritika a felnőttek világáról: rasszizmusról, női jogokról, oktatásról. Mit ért meg ebből a világból egy kamaszodó gyerek és mit teszünk mi, felnőttek, hogy jobbá tegyük? ( )
  gjudit8 | Aug 3, 2020 |
LOVED IT!!! ( )
  Jolene.M | Jul 30, 2020 |
I just finished this book for the second time, the first being when I read it in grade 10 for school. I keep forgetting that I did read it for school, mainly because my grade 10 English teacher was no good so I don't have any school-related things to relate it to.

I loved it then, and was worried that I wouldn't love it anymore, but I do. The prose is so lovely and evocative...even if nothing happened, it would be a joy to read. Atticus Finch goes on my "literary crushes" list. I was just as moved by the story as an adult as I was as a teen. This book is a classic for a good reason.

It's about the futility of expecting justice from an unjust society, and the slowness of social change. It's supposed to make you feel sick. But, I did remove a star from my original rating, because of how little has changed. Tom Robinson was a black man accused of a crime he didn't commit, and was killed by the authorities while in custody. Sound familiar? But Tom is barely in the story at all. This is a book about white people talking about black people. What a shame that this racist county can't acquit a black man. What a miscarriage of justice. But that's just how it is. It's about a white man challenging a white colonial system and failing, and the "bad" white people celebrate the status quo and the "good" white people cry tears of rage and the black community is not heard from while Tom Robinson is killed and nothing changes. So some white kids grow a bit and learn about the world, and we don't really hear anything at all about what the black community is going through except that some of them brought Atticus some food for actually doing his damn job instead of putting his feet up and accepting conviction as a foregone conclusion. ( )
  katebrarian | Jul 28, 2020 |
There is a good reason that some books are called classics. This is one of the best. A look at family, small town life, and prejudice down with power and with love. One of the very best books of all time. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
A fine novel, deserving of its reputation. ( )
  Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |
Mockingbird is not necessarily as widely admired among scholars of US literature as it is among its fans. I once enraged an audience of very nice book-lovers at the Cheltenham literary festival by suggesting that Mockingbird was just the teensiest bit overrated. There are many reasons for this assessment, not least the feeling that Atticus Finch’s famous moral rectitude is, in point of fact, disturbingly flexible. He tells Scout: “Before I can live with other folks, I’ve got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.” That’s all well and good, and a fine American sentiment that goes at least back to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. But part of Mark Twain’s radical move in that novel is to make his hero an illiterate backwoods boy; Lee’s hero is a virtuous, middle-class white man, full of noblesse oblige to the black people he defends (who revere him for it), but who doesn’t bat an eyelid at the common knowledge that the illiterate, white-trash Mayella Ewell is regularly raped and beaten by her father.

added by SnootyBaronet | editThe Guardian

Its sentiments and moral grandeur are as unimpeachable as the character of its hero, Atticus. ... It's time to stop pretending that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is some kind of timeless classic that ranks with the great works of American literature. Its bloodless liberal humanism is sadly dated, as pristinely preserved in its pages as the dinosaur DNA in "Jurassic Park."
added by LT_Ammar | editThe Wall Street Journal, Allen Barra

A book that we thought instructed us about the world tells us, instead, about the limitations of Jim Crow liberalism in Maycomb, Alabama.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New Yorker, Malcolm Gladwell

There are some improbable and sentimental moments in the story, but there are also great moments of laughter that belong to memory and a novelist's hand... Miss Lee's original characters are people to cherish in this winning first novel by a fresh writer with something significant to say, South and North.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New York Times, Herbert Mitgang

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
~ Charles Lamb
For Mr. Lee and Alice
in consideration of Love & Affection
When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.
Please spare Mockingbird an Introduction. (From the Foreword by Harper Lee)
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions, but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
Not from, but about To Kill a Mockingbird, with apologies:

Monroeville, Alabama
January, 1966

Editor, The News Leader:

Recently I have received echoes down this way of the Hanover County School Board’s activities, and what I’ve heard makes me wonder if any of its members can read.

Surely it is plain to the simplest intelligence that “To Kill a Mockingbird” spells out in words of seldom more than two syllables a code of honor and conduct, Christian in its ethic, that is the heritage of all Southerners. To hear that the novel is “immoral” has made me count the years between now and 1984, for I have yet to come across a better example of doublethink.

I feel, however, that the problem is one of illiteracy, not Marxism. Therefore I enclose a small contribution to the Beadle Bumble Fund that I hope will be used to enroll the Hanover County School Board in any first grade of its choice.

Harper Lee

"To Kill a Mockingbird" was my absolute favorite books to read in school. I would maybe wait to have students read this until middle High School but I think it can be a great learning experience for students. The topics of this book raises awareness about rape, racial inequality, and family. The way that my teacher in High School set up her lesson was that she had everyone in her classroom dress up like a character from a book and make everyone talk and act like that given character. It was fun to watch what everyone wanted to dress like so it will for sure go into my teacher toolbox.
Scout recalls her youth
Mad dogs, rabid mob threaten
Lawyer Dad defends.
(pickupsticks)
Dad says it's O.K.
To kill a blue jay. But not
A mockingbird. Why?
(pickupsticks)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,863,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible