To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Perennial…

To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Perennial Modern Classics) (original 1960; edition 2006)

by Harper Lee

59,370117811 (4.39)2 / 2228
Member:kkrisdan28
Title:To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Perennial Modern Classics)
Authors:Harper Lee
Info:Harper Perennial Modern Classics (2006), Paperback, 336 pages

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Author) (1960)

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Caramellunacy, rosylibrarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about a young girl in the South coming to terms with racism. Secret Life of Bees features an teenaged protagonist whereas To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout is quite a bit younger, but I thought there were themes that resonated between the two.… (more)
    The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (dele2451, rosylibrarian, chrisharpe)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (paulkid)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    Snow Falling on Cedars: A Novel by David Guterson (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (atimco)
    atimco: These books share a precocious narrator, vital family relationships, and themes that are funny and sad and thought provoking all at the same time. Extremely well written and engaging.
    Native Son by Richard Wright (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: An African-American facing an uphill battle against a highly prejudiced jury and public. Wright, like Lee, explores the dangers of the stereotypes created by insular and ignorant societies.
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books are two sides of the same coin of life in a small Alabama town. Where there's dignity and hope in Mockingbird, Other Voices is decadence and demoralization
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (bnbookgirl)
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (eclt83)
    eclt83: Goodnight, Mr Tom is as touching as To kill a mockingbird. Problems in society causes pain for the weaker.
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (chrisharpe)
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (LKAYC)
    Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence (kxlly)
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (rarm)
    Home by Toni Morrison (Louve_de_mer)
    Louve_de_mer: Pour les problèmes de ségrégation raciale aux États-Unis.
    The Stones Of Mourning Creek by Diane Les Becquets (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Sadie-rae_Kieran: Similar setting, 1960's in the south. Deals with some similar issues as well,including racism/discrimination. Though sad at times, a beautiful and touching story.
    A Painted House by John Grisham (infiniteletters)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (aamirq)
    Scottsboro Boy by Haywood Patterson (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: For the real story of race relations in Alabama in the thirties, read this autobiography of Haywood Patterson, one of several young black men judicially railroaded for the rape of two young white women, and sentenced to death. A national and international campaign ultimately resulted in their exonerations, but their lives had already been destroyed.… (more)
    Dovey Coe by Frances O'Roark Dowell (meggyweg)

Romans (41)
. (1)

English (1,126)  Spanish (12)  French (9)  Italian (6)  German (6)  Catalan (6)  Dutch (4)  Norwegian (2)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,177)
My son recently read To Kill a Mockingbird for school so I decided to reread it. This time around, I listened to the audiobook, which is read by Sissy Spacek. The book is narrated in first person from Scout’s point of view and Spacek’s soft, natural Southern voice is perfect for it.

I always struggle writing an actual review for a classic novel because it’s usually been reviewed and analyzed to death. I’m going to tell you my thoughts anyway! Like I said, To Kill a Mockingbird is written from the first person point of view of Scout Finch, who is around six years old when the story begins. She lives in Maycomb, Alabama with her father Atticus and her brother Jem. Atticus is a lawyer and is the most respected man in town. When Tom Robinson, a black man, is falsely accused of raping a white woman, the town’s judge appoints Atticus to defend him. The chances that Tom will be acquitted are slimmer than slim but as Atticus says, real courage is, “when you know you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what.” That’s why the judge appointed him. He knew that Atticus was the only lawyer who would give his all to defending Tom even though it was a lost cause. Meanwhile, Scout, Jem and their friend Dill are obsessed with the Finch’s mysterious neighbor, Boo Radley. They delight in daring each other to get close to the Radley house.

To Kill a Mockingbird is full of life lessons. Atticus is pretty much the perfect human and the wisdom he imparts to Scout and Jem is profound. I liked how Harper Lee took her time building up to the actual trial. She shows us years of life in Maycomb so that the reader can truly understand the South in the 1930s. There is a rich cast of supporting characters, all vividly drawn. It’s tragic to realize that not all that much has changed in how our country treats black people since the time of this book. Black people are still treated unfairly by the criminal justice system quite often, resulting in America’s huge mass incarceration problem.

I’m so glad I reread To Kill a Mockingbird. I had forgotten just how much I loved it. There is so much about it that is timeless and Atticus’s lessons still resonate today. If by chance you haven’t read this book, I highly recommend that you do. ( )
1 vote mcelhra | Mar 20, 2019 |
I make it a habit when reading a book I can't put down, to go to Amazon and take a look at the less than positive reviews. Imagine my surprise when reading about this CLASSIC -that someone said the novel Divergent which is listed as a child's novel (is it really?), should be substituted in school for TKaM. That Divergent would teach better life lessons.

Well, I have never read Divergent nor do I want to (yet) but I can't imagine that it would teach the lessons TKaM teaches us in all of its gritty glory. TKaM is a classic and one of the things that means is that the lessons it teaches spans generations and centuries and will be as important to learn in 1950 as it is in 2050.

Since I am 60 years old (ahem), I come from *near* the era this book was set in -my parents and Grandparents; exactly this era - I am still living with the repercussions of the mindset and politics of those closest to me. If you all know what I mean...

At any rate, this book really teaches a hard lesson for that era and one that I was surprised to be taught.

I loved this book for giving me so much -a lesson that everyone is created equal, a lesson in small-town politics (which is just as true today as it was then)that we can't really know about someone else until we walk a mile in their shoes and that when needed most, help will come from unexpected directions.

I can understand that the beginning of this book can be boring to those who are used to more action, I just look at it as yet another lesson this book is teaching me -to be patient since all good things come to those who wait.

Read this. I don't think you'll be sorry. ( )
1 vote Cats57 | Mar 11, 2019 |
Esta fue una lectura un poco pesada para mí ya que decidí leerlo en su idioma original y por la cantidad de anglicismos que contiene, tenía que detenerme constantemente a buscar el significado de cierta palabra o frase.

Sin embargo, eso no mermó la experiencia que obtuve del libro. Me gustaron mucho los personajes y la forma tan peculiar de ver la vida de cada uno de ellos; en especial los niños. Soy de las personas que cree que los niños pueden ver las cosas sin filtro, sin prejuicios y cuando nosotros las vemos a través de sus ojos, nos sorprendemos por la forma tan pura en que ellos las perciben y las dan por sentado.

A pesar de tratar de un tema bastante truculento como lo es la esclavitud, el libro me pareció enternecedor y lleno de valiosas lecciones. Sobretodo por el dilema moral al que se ve sujeto el padre de los niños, y la manera en que intenta hacer lo correcto por encima de todo.

Fue una lectura sumamente agradable, que me tomó más tiempo del normal, pero que valió cada minuto invertido en el libro. ( )
  LenoreDiKaat | Mar 10, 2019 |
A classic book. Catches a moment in history perfectly. ( )
  stevedale57 | Mar 3, 2019 |
Why not take some sun tea on the porch and rest a spell? This is who we are. Arrested childhood uncovers racial tension.

My own arrival was tardy. I was nearly 30 when I discovered this gem.

I've read it 2 times since. My thoughts flicker with Scout and Boo. I don't ponder Atticus. I bought this for my niece. I gave her 20 dollars to read it. She lied. I sigh. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Mockingbird is not necessarily as widely admired among scholars of US literature as it is among its fans. I once enraged an audience of very nice book-lovers at the Cheltenham literary festival by suggesting that Mockingbird was just the teensiest bit overrated. There are many reasons for this assessment, not least the feeling that Atticus Finch’s famous moral rectitude is, in point of fact, disturbingly flexible. He tells Scout: “Before I can live with other folks, I’ve got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.” That’s all well and good, and a fine American sentiment that goes at least back to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. But part of Mark Twain’s radical move in that novel is to make his hero an illiterate backwoods boy; Lee’s hero is a virtuous, middle-class white man, full of noblesse oblige to the black people he defends (who revere him for it), but who doesn’t bat an eyelid at the common knowledge that the illiterate, white-trash Mayella Ewell is regularly raped and beaten by her father.

added by SnootyBaronet | editThe Guardian

Its sentiments and moral grandeur are as unimpeachable as the character of its hero, Atticus. ... It's time to stop pretending that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is some kind of timeless classic that ranks with the great works of American literature. Its bloodless liberal humanism is sadly dated, as pristinely preserved in its pages as the dinosaur DNA in "Jurassic Park."
added by LT_Ammar | editThe Wall Street Journal, Allen Barra

A book that we thought instructed us about the world tells us, instead, about the limitations of Jim Crow liberalism in Maycomb, Alabama.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New Yorker, Malcolm Gladwell

There are some improbable and sentimental moments in the story, but there are also great moments of laughter that belong to memory and a novelist's hand... Miss Lee's original characters are people to cherish in this winning first novel by a fresh writer with something significant to say, South and North.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New York Times, Herbert Mitgang

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
~ Charles Lamb
For Mr. Lee and Alice
in consideration of Love & Affection
Please spare Mockingbird an Introduction. (From the Foreword by Harper Lee)
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions, but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
Not from, but about To Kill a Mockingbird, with apologies:

Monroeville, Alabama
January, 1966

Editor, The News Leader:

Recently I have received echoes down this way of the Hanover County School Board’s activities, and what I’ve heard makes me wonder if any of its members can read.

Surely it is plain to the simplest intelligence that “To Kill a Mockingbird” spells out in words of seldom more than two syllables a code of honor and conduct, Christian in its ethic, that is the heritage of all Southerners. To hear that the novel is “immoral” has made me count the years between now and 1984, for I have yet to come across a better example of doublethink.

I feel, however, that the problem is one of illiteracy, not Marxism. Therefore I enclose a small contribution to the Beadle Bumble Fund that I hope will be used to enroll the Hanover County School Board in any first grade of its choice.

Harper Lee

"To Kill a Mockingbird" was my absolute favorite books to read in school. I would maybe wait to have students read this until middle High School but I think it can be a great learning experience for students. The topics of this book raises awareness about rape, racial inequality, and family. The way that my teacher in High School set up her lesson was that she had everyone in her classroom dress up like a character from a book and make everyone talk and act like that given character. It was fun to watch what everyone wanted to dress like so it will for sure go into my teacher toolbox.
Scout recalls her youth
Mad dogs, rabid mob threaten
Lawyer Dad defends.
(pickupsticks)
Dad says it's O.K
To kill a blue jay. But not
A mockingbird. Why?
(pickupsticks)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446310786, Mass Market Paperback)

"When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.... When enough years had gone by to enable us to look back on them, we sometimes discussed the events leading to his accident. I maintain that the Ewells started it all, but Jem, who was four years my senior, said it started long before that. He said it began the summer Dill came to us, when Dill first gave us the idea of making Boo Radley come out."

Set in the small Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama, during the Depression, To Kill a Mockingbird follows three years in the life of 8-year-old Scout Finch, her brother, Jem, and their father, Atticus--three years punctuated by the arrest and eventual trial of a young black man accused of raping a white woman. Though her story explores big themes, Harper Lee chooses to tell it through the eyes of a child. The result is a tough and tender novel of race, class, justice, and the pain of growing up.

Like the slow-moving occupants of her fictional town, Lee takes her time getting to the heart of her tale; we first meet the Finches the summer before Scout's first year at school. She, her brother, and Dill Harris, a boy who spends the summers with his aunt in Maycomb, while away the hours reenacting scenes from Dracula and plotting ways to get a peek at the town bogeyman, Boo Radley. At first the circumstances surrounding the alleged rape of Mayella Ewell, the daughter of a drunk and violent white farmer, barely penetrate the children's consciousness. Then Atticus is called on to defend the accused, Tom Robinson, and soon Scout and Jem find themselves caught up in events beyond their understanding. During the trial, the town exhibits its ugly side, but Lee offers plenty of counterbalance as well--in the struggle of an elderly woman to overcome her morphine habit before she dies; in the heroism of Atticus Finch, standing up for what he knows is right; and finally in Scout's hard-won understanding that most people are essentially kind "when you really see them." By turns funny, wise, and heartbreaking, To Kill a Mockingbird is one classic that continues to speak to new generations, and deserves to be reread often. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:38 -0400)

The explosion of racial hate in an Alabama town is viewed by a little girl whose father defends a black man accused of rape.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,501,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible