To Kill a Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary…

To Kill a Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition (original 1960; edition 2010)

by Harper Lee

54,31910978 (4.4)2 / 2115
Member:b.s.
Title:To Kill a Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition
Authors:Harper Lee
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: 50 Anv, Hardcover, 336 pages

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1960)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (loriephillips)
    The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (dele2451, rosylibrarian, chrisharpe)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Caramellunacy, rosylibrarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about a young girl in the South coming to terms with racism. Secret Life of Bees features an teenaged protagonist whereas To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout is quite a bit younger, but I thought there were themes that resonated between the two.… (more)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (paulkid)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    Snow Falling on Cedars: A Novel by David Guterson (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: These books share a precocious narrator, vital family relationships, and themes that are funny and sad and thought provoking all at the same time. Extremely well written and engaging.
    Native Son by Richard Wright (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: An African-American facing an uphill battle against a highly prejudiced jury and public. Wright, like Lee, explores the dangers of the stereotypes created by insular and ignorant societies.
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (bnbookgirl)
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books are two sides of the same coin of life in a small Alabama town. Where there's dignity and hope in Mockingbird, Other Voices is decadence and demoralization
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (eclt83)
    eclt83: Goodnight, Mr Tom is as touching as To kill a mockingbird. Problems in society causes pain for the weaker.
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (chrisharpe)
    The Stones Of Mourning Creek by Diane Les Becquets (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Sadie-rae_Kieran: Similar setting, 1960's in the south. Deals with some similar issues as well,including racism/discrimination. Though sad at times, a beautiful and touching story.
    Home by Toni Morrison (Louve_de_mer)
    Louve_de_mer: Pour les problèmes de ségrégation raciale aux États-Unis.
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (LKAYC)
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (rarm)
    A Painted House by John Grisham (infiniteletters)
    Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence (kxlly)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (aamirq)
    The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter Van Tilburg Clark (mysterymax)
    mysterymax: This book also explores mob/vigilante thinking and is a classic in its own way.

Romans (41)
. (1)

English (1,049)  Spanish (12)  French (8)  German (5)  Catalan (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Hungarian (2)  All (1)  Danish (1)  All (1,096)
Scout, uma maria-rapaz de nove anos, o seu irmão Jem, quatro anos mais velho, e um amigo Dill, vivem as tradicionais aventuras de verão numa pequena cidade do sul americano, fazendo a sua dose de traquinices. São miúdos inteligentes a quem o pai, o advogado Atticus, trata com amor e respeito. Mas tudo irá mudar quando Tom Robinson é acusado de violar a filha de Bob Ewell e Atticus decide corajosamente enfrentar os preconceitos racistas do início do século XX num estado sulista para defender um negro contra um branco.

A história é contada por Scout, na primeira pessoa, como se estivesse a relembrar o que se passou naqueles anos difíceis. É uma narrativa carregada de inocência, de alguém que observa sem compreender completamente o que se está a passar (a discriminação racial, os hábitos sociais rídiculos,...) e que, sendo curiosa e arguta, faz perguntas e observações certeiras, por vezes cheias de ironia não intencional.

Apesar de nem sempre os "bons" ganharem e de haver dor, injustiça e maldade, todos os personagens, exceto os Ewells, têm uma faceta humana com a qual empatizamos imediatamente e que nos enternece. Mesmo a tia Alexandra ou os Cunninghams acabam por ser de certa forma simpáticos (são, teoricamente, dos mais perversos para as crianças). Aliás, ternura é, provavelmente, a palavra que melhor descreve a atmosfera deste romance, uma ternura que nos faz sentir protegidos ao lê-lo apesar da crueza dos eventos. Uma ternura que terá que ver com a nostalgia que todos sentimos dos "bons-tempos" da infância? Talvez... ( )
  jmx | Jun 20, 2017 |
This is about a man that got in trouble for something he did no do, and people still blamed him and they knew the truth. I recommend this book for jr. high and above. ( )
  VictoriaVivians | Jun 9, 2017 |
Told from Scout's nine year old perspective, with the beautiful quiet adult observations thrown in, sometimes with her understanding, sometimes without. An evocation of a small town and its workings and interweavings in Alabama in the 1930s (but you probably already knew that). Now I want to know about Harper Lee, that she could have written a book of such deep humanity. ( )
1 vote devilish2 | May 28, 2017 |
One of few "American classics" I really get something out of. ( )
  pan0ramix | May 26, 2017 |
I had always enjoyed the movie. So, once I started trying to read some of the classics, this one was one I said I would attempt to read. I wasn't quite sure if I would like it but I gave it a try..And I'm glad I did. It had its moments that I got bored..But I think that was mostly I am so used to Fantasy and a little more 'action'...But this book was one that kept your attention. And even though I already knew what happened in the book..I still couldn't put it down because I wanted to still find out what happened.

This is one of those books that if you get upset easily about how people were treated during this time period..Then you better brace yourself if you want to read it...And just...Breathe! lol..

But I loved Scout because she was such a curious little something...And she keeps a smile on your face...

I also loved Atticus because no matter what others in his community said, he was determined to continue defending Tom Robinson. Even though he knew there was a 99.999% chance that he wouldn't win the case...He still did his very best to give Tom Robinson a great defense.

This book was well ahead of its time. And I'm sure very controversial. And it is very much worth trying to read. ( )
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
The dialogue of Miss Lee's refreshingly varied characters is a constant delight in its authenticity and swift revelation of personality. The events connecting the Finches with the Ewell-Robinson lawsuit develop quietly and logically, unifying the plot and dramatizing the author's level-headed plea for interracial understanding... Moviegoing readers will be able to cast most of the roles very quickly, but it is no disparagement of Miss Lee's winning book to say that it could be the basis of an excellent film.

Its sentiments and moral grandeur are as unimpeachable as the character of its hero, Atticus. ... It's time to stop pretending that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is some kind of timeless classic that ranks with the great works of American literature. Its bloodless liberal humanism is sadly dated, as pristinely preserved in its pages as the dinosaur DNA in "Jurassic Park."
added by LT_Ammar | editThe Wall Street Journal, Allen Barra

A book that we thought instructed us about the world tells us, instead, about the limitations of Jim Crow liberalism in Maycomb, Alabama.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New Yorker, Malcolm Gladwell

There are some improbable and sentimental moments in the story, but there are also great moments of laughter that belong to memory and a novelist's hand... Miss Lee's original characters are people to cherish in this winning first novel by a fresh writer with something significant to say, South and North.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New York Times, Herbert Mitgang

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
~ Charles Lamb
For Mr. Lee and Alice
in consideration of Love & Affection
Please spare Mockingbird an Introduction. (From the Foreword by Harper Lee)
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions, but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
Not from, but about To Kill a Mockingbird, with apologies:

Monroeville, Alabama
January, 1966

Editor, The News Leader:

Recently I have received echoes down this way of the Hanover County School Board’s activities, and what I’ve heard makes me wonder if any of its members can read.

Surely it is plain to the simplest intelligence that “To Kill a Mockingbird” spells out in words of seldom more than two syllables a code of honor and conduct, Christian in its ethic, that is the heritage of all Southerners. To hear that the novel is “immoral” has made me count the years between now and 1984, for I have yet to come across a better example of doublethink.

I feel, however, that the problem is one of illiteracy, not Marxism. Therefore I enclose a small contribution to the Beadle Bumble Fund that I hope will be used to enroll the Hanover County School Board in any first grade of its choice.

Harper Lee

"To Kill a Mockingbird" was my absolute favorite books to read in school. I would maybe wait to have students read this until middle High School but I think it can be a great learning experience for students. The topics of this book raises awareness about rape, racial inequality, and family. The way that my teacher in High School set up her lesson was that she had everyone in her classroom dress up like a character from a book and make everyone talk and act like that given character. It was fun to watch what everyone wanted to dress like so it will for sure go into my teacher toolbox.
Scout recalls her youth
Mad dogs, rabid mob threaten
Lawyer Dad defends.
(pickupsticks)
Dad says it's O.K
To kill a blue jay. But not
A mockingbird. Why?
(pickupsticks)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446310786, Mass Market Paperback)

"When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.... When enough years had gone by to enable us to look back on them, we sometimes discussed the events leading to his accident. I maintain that the Ewells started it all, but Jem, who was four years my senior, said it started long before that. He said it began the summer Dill came to us, when Dill first gave us the idea of making Boo Radley come out."

Set in the small Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama, during the Depression, To Kill a Mockingbird follows three years in the life of 8-year-old Scout Finch, her brother, Jem, and their father, Atticus--three years punctuated by the arrest and eventual trial of a young black man accused of raping a white woman. Though her story explores big themes, Harper Lee chooses to tell it through the eyes of a child. The result is a tough and tender novel of race, class, justice, and the pain of growing up.

Like the slow-moving occupants of her fictional town, Lee takes her time getting to the heart of her tale; we first meet the Finches the summer before Scout's first year at school. She, her brother, and Dill Harris, a boy who spends the summers with his aunt in Maycomb, while away the hours reenacting scenes from Dracula and plotting ways to get a peek at the town bogeyman, Boo Radley. At first the circumstances surrounding the alleged rape of Mayella Ewell, the daughter of a drunk and violent white farmer, barely penetrate the children's consciousness. Then Atticus is called on to defend the accused, Tom Robinson, and soon Scout and Jem find themselves caught up in events beyond their understanding. During the trial, the town exhibits its ugly side, but Lee offers plenty of counterbalance as well--in the struggle of an elderly woman to overcome her morphine habit before she dies; in the heroism of Atticus Finch, standing up for what he knows is right; and finally in Scout's hard-won understanding that most people are essentially kind "when you really see them." By turns funny, wise, and heartbreaking, To Kill a Mockingbird is one classic that continues to speak to new generations, and deserves to be reread often. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:38 -0400)

The explosion of racial hate in an Alabama town is viewed by a little girl whose father defends a black man accused of rape.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible