To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To Kill a Mockingbird (original 1960; edition 1988)

by Harper Lee

58,198116512 (4.39)2 / 2195
Member:namdlefnalyd
Title:To Kill a Mockingbird
Authors:Harper Lee
Info:Grand Central Publishing (1988), Mass Market Paperback, 281 pages

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Author) (1960)

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Caramellunacy, rosylibrarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about a young girl in the South coming to terms with racism. Secret Life of Bees features an teenaged protagonist whereas To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout is quite a bit younger, but I thought there were themes that resonated between the two.… (more)
    The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (dele2451, rosylibrarian, chrisharpe)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (paulkid)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    Snow Falling on Cedars: A Novel by David Guterson (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (atimco)
    atimco: These books share a precocious narrator, vital family relationships, and themes that are funny and sad and thought provoking all at the same time. Extremely well written and engaging.
    Native Son by Richard Wright (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: An African-American facing an uphill battle against a highly prejudiced jury and public. Wright, like Lee, explores the dangers of the stereotypes created by insular and ignorant societies.
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (bnbookgirl)
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books are two sides of the same coin of life in a small Alabama town. Where there's dignity and hope in Mockingbird, Other Voices is decadence and demoralization
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (eclt83)
    eclt83: Goodnight, Mr Tom is as touching as To kill a mockingbird. Problems in society causes pain for the weaker.
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (aamirq)
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (rarm)
    The Stones Of Mourning Creek by Diane Les Becquets (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Sadie-rae_Kieran: Similar setting, 1960's in the south. Deals with some similar issues as well,including racism/discrimination. Though sad at times, a beautiful and touching story.
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (chrisharpe)
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (LKAYC)
    A Painted House by John Grisham (infiniteletters)
    Home by Toni Morrison (Louve_de_mer)
    Louve_de_mer: Pour les problèmes de ségrégation raciale aux États-Unis.
    Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence (kxlly)
    The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter Van Tilburg Clark (mysterymax)
    mysterymax: This book also explores mob/vigilante thinking and is a classic in its own way.
    Scottsboro Boy by Haywood Patterson (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: For the real story of race relations in Alabama in the thirties, read this autobiography of Haywood Patterson, one of several young black men judicially railroaded for the rape of two young white women, and sentenced to death. A national and international campaign ultimately resulted in their exonerations, but their lives had already been destroyed.… (more)

Romans (41)
. (1)

English (1,109)  Spanish (13)  French (9)  German (6)  Catalan (6)  Italian (5)  Dutch (4)  Swedish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,161)
It was an interesting experience reading To Kill a Mockingbird. It was all about a trial for a black man raping a white girl. Even though Tom Robinson, the black man, didn't rape Bob Ewell's daughter, the white girl, he was still accused because of the color of his skin. Scout the main character of this novel, is a nine year old girl getting into trouble. Her neighbor Boo Radley has not been seen for years and years. There is always suspicions of seeing him around town. Scout and Jem go on many adventures throughout the book. Atticus (the father) was Tom's lawyer during the trial. Atticus faced many mean insults for protecting a black man. Scout and Jem have a friend named Dill, and he is witnessing all of what has happened.Towards the end many twists and turns are read. If you want to find out what happens read for yourself. Overall, this was a great book. ( )
  MaddisonB.B4 | Oct 12, 2018 |
If you haven't read this I have to assume you are illiterate. Seriously. ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |
I decided to reread To Kill A Mockingbird to prepare for Go Set A Watchman, making this my fourth time reading it, and I love it more than ever. It’s a classic for a reason and teaches an important lesson that still needs to be taught today. The first time I read it I didn’t finish it. I was in high school, I didn’t care for reading and the teacher didn’t talk about what we were reading. I read it on my own in college and loved it. The characters are well defined, Scout and Jem are children and naive while these events are going on, they don’t understand everything, but notice when people are hypocrites or when they feel something isn’t right. The go to each other, Calpurnia or their father when they notice these things. Calpurnia is raising them right by teaching them how to treat all people. Atticus is wise and stands up for what he believes in, I know his character seems unrealistic, but I hope there were people really like him in the south during that time. The other characters are just as well written as the main characters, you understand where everyone is coming from and why they do what they do. The plot all comes together nicely from Tom Robinson to Boo Radley. The book takes on people’s judgements on others being completely wrong and harmful. Boo Radley was feared because people didn’t understand him or why he stayed shut in, yet he saved Jem and Scout. Tom Robinson was killed because he was black and even though the Ewell’s were proved to be lying, he was found guilty since he was black and the Ewells were white and because Tom knew he didn’t have a chance in the white court system he tried to escape and was killed. It’s a lesson that stands the test of time, in an unfortunate way, we still have problems with racism and misconceptions about people who are different than ourselves. It’s kind of sad To Kill A Mockingbird is still so relevant. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
To Kill a Mocking Bird is one of those books. The kind that isn’t full of drama, action, and dangerous situations, but you still can’t put it down. And when you find a book like that, you know it is a good one!

I LOVED this book! Such a beautiful, simplistic story of 2 little children, only it is so much more! The characters were simply amazing! I love Scout (aka Jean Louise Finch). She is just the sweetest little spitfire ever! I love her attitude, her thirst for knowledge, and her love of reading. And every time she crawled up in Atticus’s lap, my heart melted completely!
The writing style was quite unique in this book, and I have to say, as much as I liked pretty much everything else about this book, I wasn't really a fan of the writing style. It was somewhat confusing, and I found myself rereading sentences 2 or 3 times just to comprehend what she was trying to say. Otherwise, I loved this book! Definitely something I will read again and again!

CONTENT NOTE: There was a decent amount of language in this book. Nothing absolutely terrible, but definitely a bit more than mild, and more than I am comfortable with on a regular basis. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone younger than 15 for that reason, and because one of the main themes involves a trial about rape. ( )
  SarahGraceGrzy | Oct 2, 2018 |
For some reason, i never read this book as a child. I had a completely different idea of what this book was about compared with what it was actually about. It was a bit of a slow read for me which was a bit frustrating too. ( )
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
Mockingbird is not necessarily as widely admired among scholars of US literature as it is among its fans. I once enraged an audience of very nice book-lovers at the Cheltenham literary festival by suggesting that Mockingbird was just the teensiest bit overrated. There are many reasons for this assessment, not least the feeling that Atticus Finch’s famous moral rectitude is, in point of fact, disturbingly flexible. He tells Scout: “Before I can live with other folks, I’ve got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.” That’s all well and good, and a fine American sentiment that goes at least back to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. But part of Mark Twain’s radical move in that novel is to make his hero an illiterate backwoods boy; Lee’s hero is a virtuous, middle-class white man, full of noblesse oblige to the black people he defends (who revere him for it), but who doesn’t bat an eyelid at the common knowledge that the illiterate, white-trash Mayella Ewell is regularly raped and beaten by her father.

added by SnootyBaronet | editThe Guardian

Its sentiments and moral grandeur are as unimpeachable as the character of its hero, Atticus. ... It's time to stop pretending that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is some kind of timeless classic that ranks with the great works of American literature. Its bloodless liberal humanism is sadly dated, as pristinely preserved in its pages as the dinosaur DNA in "Jurassic Park."
added by LT_Ammar | editThe Wall Street Journal, Allen Barra

A book that we thought instructed us about the world tells us, instead, about the limitations of Jim Crow liberalism in Maycomb, Alabama.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New Yorker, Malcolm Gladwell

There are some improbable and sentimental moments in the story, but there are also great moments of laughter that belong to memory and a novelist's hand... Miss Lee's original characters are people to cherish in this winning first novel by a fresh writer with something significant to say, South and North.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New York Times, Herbert Mitgang

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
~ Charles Lamb
For Mr. Lee and Alice
in consideration of Love & Affection
Please spare Mockingbird an Introduction. (From the Foreword by Harper Lee)
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions, but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
Not from, but about To Kill a Mockingbird, with apologies:

Monroeville, Alabama
January, 1966

Editor, The News Leader:

Recently I have received echoes down this way of the Hanover County School Board’s activities, and what I’ve heard makes me wonder if any of its members can read.

Surely it is plain to the simplest intelligence that “To Kill a Mockingbird” spells out in words of seldom more than two syllables a code of honor and conduct, Christian in its ethic, that is the heritage of all Southerners. To hear that the novel is “immoral” has made me count the years between now and 1984, for I have yet to come across a better example of doublethink.

I feel, however, that the problem is one of illiteracy, not Marxism. Therefore I enclose a small contribution to the Beadle Bumble Fund that I hope will be used to enroll the Hanover County School Board in any first grade of its choice.

Harper Lee

"To Kill a Mockingbird" was my absolute favorite books to read in school. I would maybe wait to have students read this until middle High School but I think it can be a great learning experience for students. The topics of this book raises awareness about rape, racial inequality, and family. The way that my teacher in High School set up her lesson was that she had everyone in her classroom dress up like a character from a book and make everyone talk and act like that given character. It was fun to watch what everyone wanted to dress like so it will for sure go into my teacher toolbox.
Scout recalls her youth
Mad dogs, rabid mob threaten
Lawyer Dad defends.
(pickupsticks)
Dad says it's O.K
To kill a blue jay. But not
A mockingbird. Why?
(pickupsticks)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446310786, Mass Market Paperback)

"When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.... When enough years had gone by to enable us to look back on them, we sometimes discussed the events leading to his accident. I maintain that the Ewells started it all, but Jem, who was four years my senior, said it started long before that. He said it began the summer Dill came to us, when Dill first gave us the idea of making Boo Radley come out."

Set in the small Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama, during the Depression, To Kill a Mockingbird follows three years in the life of 8-year-old Scout Finch, her brother, Jem, and their father, Atticus--three years punctuated by the arrest and eventual trial of a young black man accused of raping a white woman. Though her story explores big themes, Harper Lee chooses to tell it through the eyes of a child. The result is a tough and tender novel of race, class, justice, and the pain of growing up.

Like the slow-moving occupants of her fictional town, Lee takes her time getting to the heart of her tale; we first meet the Finches the summer before Scout's first year at school. She, her brother, and Dill Harris, a boy who spends the summers with his aunt in Maycomb, while away the hours reenacting scenes from Dracula and plotting ways to get a peek at the town bogeyman, Boo Radley. At first the circumstances surrounding the alleged rape of Mayella Ewell, the daughter of a drunk and violent white farmer, barely penetrate the children's consciousness. Then Atticus is called on to defend the accused, Tom Robinson, and soon Scout and Jem find themselves caught up in events beyond their understanding. During the trial, the town exhibits its ugly side, but Lee offers plenty of counterbalance as well--in the struggle of an elderly woman to overcome her morphine habit before she dies; in the heroism of Atticus Finch, standing up for what he knows is right; and finally in Scout's hard-won understanding that most people are essentially kind "when you really see them." By turns funny, wise, and heartbreaking, To Kill a Mockingbird is one classic that continues to speak to new generations, and deserves to be reread often. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:38 -0400)

The explosion of racial hate in an Alabama town is viewed by a little girl whose father defends a black man accused of rape.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,538,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible