To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To Kill a Mockingbird (original 1960; edition 1993)

by Harper Lee, David Johnson (Illustrator), Timothy S. Healy (Afterword)

51,43510409 (4.4)2 / 1949
Member:AtlanticWinds
Title:To Kill a Mockingbird
Authors:Harper Lee
Other authors:David Johnson (Illustrator), Timothy S. Healy (Afterword)
Info:Reader's Digest Association (1993), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 309 pages
Collections:Read in 2012, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Alabama, racism, American South, Pulitzer Prize, American, illustrated, illustrated by David Johnson

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1960)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (loriephillips)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Caramellunacy, rosylibrarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about a young girl in the South coming to terms with racism. Secret Life of Bees features an teenaged protagonist whereas To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout is quite a bit younger, but I thought there were themes that resonated between the two.… (more)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (paulkid)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (dele2451, rosylibrarian, chrisharpe)
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Snow Falling on Cedars: A Novel by David Guterson (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: These books share a precocious narrator, vital family relationships, and themes that are funny and sad and thought provoking all at the same time. Extremely well written and engaging.
    Native Son by Richard Wright (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: An African-American facing an uphill battle against a highly prejudiced jury and public. Wright, like Lee, explores the dangers of the stereotypes created by insular and ignorant societies.
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books are two sides of the same coin of life in a small Alabama town. Where there's dignity and hope in Mockingbird, Other Voices is decadence and demoralization
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (bnbookgirl)
    The Stones Of Mourning Creek by Diane Les Becquets (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Sadie-rae_Kieran: Similar setting, 1960's in the south. Deals with some similar issues as well,including racism/discrimination. Though sad at times, a beautiful and touching story.
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (eclt83)
    eclt83: Goodnight, Mr Tom is as touching as To kill a mockingbird. Problems in society causes pain for the weaker.
    A Painted House by John Grisham (infiniteletters)
    Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence (kxlly)
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (rarm)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (chrisharpe)
    Home by Toni Morrison (Louve_de_mer)
    Louve_de_mer: Pour les problèmes de ségrégation raciale aux États-Unis.
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (LKAYC)
    The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter van Tilburg Clark (mysterymax)
    mysterymax: This book also explores mob/vigilante thinking and is a classic in its own way.
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (aamirq)

Romans (41)
. (1)
Unread books (1,077)

English (991)  Spanish (9)  French (8)  German (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (4)  Swedish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,034)
3.5 stars

Scout and Jem are sister and brother, growing up in Alabama in the 1930s. Their father is a (white) lawyer, who is representing a black man who was accused of raping and beating a white girl. The kids, while mostly living their own lives, do sometimes hear about the “nigger-loving” father.

I read this in high school and remember it being one of the books I read for English class that I liked. This time around, I'm reading it for my book club. Overall, I'm rating it 3.5 stars (good). For much of it, though, I would have rated it 3 stars (ok). But the trial was the most interesting part (and it's the one part I remember from my first read of the book all those years ago) and it brought the rating up for me (would have been 4 stars just for the trial itself!). ( )
  LibraryCin | May 22, 2016 |
In Defense of Atticus Finch

During my freshman year of high school, I read To Kill a Mockingbird as part of my language arts class. I enjoyed the novel immensely and was greatly intrigued when a new novel, Go Set a Watchman, was released in the summer of 2015, my senior year. I heard nothing but negative reviews about the new book, so I felt compelled to read the novel for myself and form my own opinion. The novel’s complexity fascinated me and made me look back at To Kill a Mockingbird just for comparison. My findings were interesting enough to me that I decided I wanted them to be the basis for an academic paper. Recently, in one of my final high school papers, I crafted an essay that examined in great detail how Atticus Finch in Go Set a Watchman--who is often criticized by reviewers and the general public for being so unlike the original Atticus in To Kill a Mockingbird--actually exhibits the same characteristics, especially those concerning racial equality, as the original Atticus Finch. Simply put: I examined the extent that Atticus Finch has been a racist from the very start--admittedly not a popular opinion. While I understand how reading the novels with this new mindset impacts the effect of the stories, I am in no way discouraging the reading (or rereading) of either novel. In fact, I personally found much enjoyment in reading both novels, not just To Kill a Mockingbird, and I believe many others will feel the same way.
While I understand the hesitancy of some to read a novel whose moral compass has unsettling racist views, I do not believe this fact ruins either novel. In fact, I find Atticus Finch to still be a literary hero in both novels despite his racial beliefs. I believe important life lessons can still be learned from Atticus, despite his views on race.
Atticus Finch is a hero in several regards. He’s a hero to his kids, he’s a hero to the town of Maycomb, and he’s a hero in the courtroom. Atticus is a hero to his kids simply because he’s a just father who watches out for his children and, for the most part, teaches them the difference from right and wrong. In this regard, he’s a good moral figure because he is a present and active father.
Next, Atticus is a hero to the town of Maycomb as well. Even before the Tom Robinson trial, Atticus had been a respected and appreciated lawyer for Maycomb County, as well as well-liked by most, if not all, of the Maycomb’s residents. Despite his conservative views, he still stands up for courage and honesty. This is also seen in Go Set a Watchman, when Atticus agrees to defend Calpurnia’s grandson in a hit-and-run case. His bravery and devotion to his children and his hometown are certainly admirable traits for readers to notice.
Lastly, Atticus is a hero in the courtroom. In my essay, one of my central discoveries is that Atticus has a deep devotion to the law and fair judicial proceedings, but not necessarily to African-Americans as a group. Atticus just happened to be defending an African-American man and his respect for his profession caused him to put aside any biases that he had. I believe that to be another admirable trait: the ability to put aside biases for your core beliefs and for justice.
So while proving Atticus to be a racist in the novels To Kill a Mockingbird and Go Set a Watchman does cause a person to view the novels in a different light, I do believe that both novels are still worthy of being read for the plot each contains as well as the morals sprinkled through the pages.
I find Atticus to be a literary hero in many senses, whether it be as a father, a citizen, or an attorney. I just don’t view him as a hero in the regard that most do: as a civil rights activist. ( )
  BarrettBongiorno | May 19, 2016 |
[Giving up on this book, it might be worth reading, but for now I'm not interested. Not at all.]
  kthxy | May 6, 2016 |
A classic and a must read! I recommend this book for many reasons. To name a few, this book introduces characters, such as Scout, that are immediately likable to the reader. This book also focuses on many different historical aspects, such as the time of the depression and the struggles and conflicts of racism within society. Although this book may be difficult for 5th-6th graders, I would still recommend that they read it specifically because of all the lessons that are able to be drawn from it. ( )
  kbutki1 | Apr 19, 2016 |
Wonderful!

The book takes a little while to get going, and even though the childish endeavours of Scout and Jem are entertaining, there book really starts to get going at around page 200. The book gives great insight into a small town in a time where racism was out in the open. Would recommend to anybody interested in a good book, but especially to those who are interested in history aswell.
  bartt95 | Apr 10, 2016 |
Author Lee, 34, an Alabaman, has written her first novel with all of the tactile brilliance and none of the preciosity generally supposed to be standard swamp-warfare issue for Southern writers. The novel is an account of an awakening to good and evil, and a faint catechistic flavor may have been inevitable. But it is faint indeed; Novelist Lee's prose has an edge that cuts through cant, and she teaches the reader an astonishing number of useful truths about little girls and about Southern life.
added by LT_Ammar | editTime

The dialogue of Miss Lee's refreshingly varied characters is a constant delight in its authenticity and swift revelation of personality. The events connecting the Finches with the Ewell-Robinson lawsuit develop quietly and logically, unifying the plot and dramatizing the author's level-headed plea for interracial understanding... Moviegoing readers will be able to cast most of the roles very quickly, but it is no disparagement of Miss Lee's winning book to say that it could be the basis of an excellent film.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New York Times Book Review, Frank H. Lyell

Its sentiments and moral grandeur are as unimpeachable as the character of its hero, Atticus. ... It's time to stop pretending that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is some kind of timeless classic that ranks with the great works of American literature. Its bloodless liberal humanism is sadly dated, as pristinely preserved in its pages as the dinosaur DNA in "Jurassic Park."
added by LT_Ammar | editThe Wall Street Journal, Allen Barra

A book that we thought instructed us about the world tells us, instead, about the limitations of Jim Crow liberalism in Maycomb, Alabama.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New Yorker, Malcolm Gladwell

There are some improbable and sentimental moments in the story, but there are also great moments of laughter that belong to memory and a novelist's hand... Miss Lee's original characters are people to cherish in this winning first novel by a fresh writer with something significant to say, South and North.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New York Times, Herbert Mitgang

Spacek, SissyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stoïanov, IsabelleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westerlund, MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westrup, Jadwiga P.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
~ Charles Lamb
For Mr. Lee and Alice
in consideration of Love & Affection
Please spare Mockingbird an Introduction. (From the Foreword by Harper Lee)
People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions, but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
Not from, but about To Kill a Mockingbird, with apologies:

Monroeville, Alabama
January, 1966

Editor, The News Leader:

Recently I have received echoes down this way of the Hanover County School Board’s activities, and what I’ve heard makes me wonder if any of its members can read.

Surely it is plain to the simplest intelligence that “To Kill a Mockingbird” spells out in words of seldom more than two syllables a code of honor and conduct, Christian in its ethic, that is the heritage of all Southerners. To hear that the novel is “immoral” has made me count the years between now and 1984, for I have yet to come across a better example of doublethink.

I feel, however, that the problem is one of illiteracy, not Marxism. Therefore I enclose a small contribution to the Beadle Bumble Fund that I hope will be used to enroll the Hanover County School Board in any first grade of its choice.

Harper Lee
'Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.' To Kill A Mockingbird is a coming of age story set in the deep south during the time of the Great Depression. Atticus Finch, father of Scout and Jem decides to represent a black man, accused of raping a white woman, in court. Although this stirs up the town during a much heated and racist time during America's history, it sheds a light on the hostility of the south during the 1930's. Filled with insight and suspense, To Kill A Mockingbird is a timeless story that any one can learn something from.
Scout recalls her youth
Mad dogs, rabid mob threaten
Lawyer Dad defends.
(pickupsticks)
Dad says it's O.K
To kill a blue jay. But not
A mockingbird. Why?
(pickupsticks)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446310786, Mass Market Paperback)

"When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.... When enough years had gone by to enable us to look back on them, we sometimes discussed the events leading to his accident. I maintain that the Ewells started it all, but Jem, who was four years my senior, said it started long before that. He said it began the summer Dill came to us, when Dill first gave us the idea of making Boo Radley come out."

Set in the small Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama, during the Depression, To Kill a Mockingbird follows three years in the life of 8-year-old Scout Finch, her brother, Jem, and their father, Atticus--three years punctuated by the arrest and eventual trial of a young black man accused of raping a white woman. Though her story explores big themes, Harper Lee chooses to tell it through the eyes of a child. The result is a tough and tender novel of race, class, justice, and the pain of growing up.

Like the slow-moving occupants of her fictional town, Lee takes her time getting to the heart of her tale; we first meet the Finches the summer before Scout's first year at school. She, her brother, and Dill Harris, a boy who spends the summers with his aunt in Maycomb, while away the hours reenacting scenes from Dracula and plotting ways to get a peek at the town bogeyman, Boo Radley. At first the circumstances surrounding the alleged rape of Mayella Ewell, the daughter of a drunk and violent white farmer, barely penetrate the children's consciousness. Then Atticus is called on to defend the accused, Tom Robinson, and soon Scout and Jem find themselves caught up in events beyond their understanding. During the trial, the town exhibits its ugly side, but Lee offers plenty of counterbalance as well--in the struggle of an elderly woman to overcome her morphine habit before she dies; in the heroism of Atticus Finch, standing up for what he knows is right; and finally in Scout's hard-won understanding that most people are essentially kind "when you really see them." By turns funny, wise, and heartbreaking, To Kill a Mockingbird is one classic that continues to speak to new generations, and deserves to be reread often. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:38 -0400)

The explosion of racial hate in an Alabama town is viewed by a little girl whose father defends a black man accused of rape.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,895,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible