To Kill a Mockingbird (New Windmills) by…

To Kill a Mockingbird (New Windmills) (original 1960; edition 1966)

by Harper Lee

47,94889512 (4.4)2 / 1742
Member:aixakjacobs
Title:To Kill a Mockingbird (New Windmills)
Authors:Harper Lee
Info:Heinemann (1966), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Family, Youth, Justice, Childhood, History

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1960)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (loriephillips)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Caramellunacy, rosylibrarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about a young girl in the South coming to terms with racism. Secret Life of Bees features an teenaged protagonist whereas To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout is quite a bit younger, but I thought there were themes that resonated between the two.… (more)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (paulkid)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    The Heart is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (dele2451, rosylibrarian, chrisharpe)
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Snow Falling on Cedars: A Novel by David Guterson (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: These books share a precocious narrator, vital family relationships, and themes that are funny and sad and thought provoking all at the same time. Extremely well written and engaging.
    Native Son by Richard Wright (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: An African-American facing an uphill battle against a highly prejudiced jury and public. Wright, like Lee, explores the dangers of the stereotypes created by insular and ignorant societies.
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books are two sides of the same coin of life in a small Alabama town. Where there's dignity and hope in Mockingbird, Other Voices is decadence and demoralization
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (bnbookgirl)
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (eclt83)
    eclt83: Goodnight, Mr Tom is as touching as To kill a mockingbird. Problems in society causes pain for the weaker.
    Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence (kxlly)
    The Stones Of Mourning Creek by Diane Les Becquets (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Sadie-rae_Kieran: Similar setting, 1960's in the south. Deals with some similar issues as well,including racism/discrimination. Though sad at times, a beautiful and touching story.
    A Painted House by John Grisham (infiniteletters)
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (rarm)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (chrisharpe)
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (LKAYC)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (aamirq)
    The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter van Tilburg Clark (mysterymax)
    mysterymax: This book also explores mob/vigilante thinking and is a classic in its own way.
    Scottsboro Boy by Haywood Patterson (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: For the real story of race relations in Alabama in the thirties, read this autobiography of Haywood Patterson, one of several young black men judicially railroaded for the rape of two young white women, and sentenced to death. A national and international campaign ultimately resulted in their exonerations, but their lives had already been destroyed.… (more)

Romans (41)
1960s (157)
Unread books (1,082)

English (863)  French (8)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Italian (3)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  Norwegian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (893)
To Kill a Mockingbird is a tragic story made bearable by being told from the point of view of a child that does not understand the full extent of events' seriousness. Children's innocence contrasts beautifully with ignorance and fear of fellow people. A child does not understand why an innocent man is sentenced to death when he is proven to be innocent in the court room - and the confusion, angry tears and arising doubt about goodness of people were characteristic only of the just and sensible lawyer and his children. A man died because people were too scared to stand up for what they believe in deep inside, and that is probably the worst trait of human beings. The tragic events were disguised as the background of the story, while most of the book dealt with Jem and Scout starting school, having their childhood adventures, believing in ghosts and dealing with kids' stuff, which was wonderfully humorous and absolutely cute. To Kill a Mockingbird reads like those children's books we have all read about incredible adventures, friendship, growing up... aside from the book's huge "hidden" message and tragic events. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
I found this to be a good book, but not a great book. I'm pretty sure that its prominent place in literature is largely due to the timing of its initial publication in 1960 at a time when the American Civil Rights movement was gathering momentum and structural changes in American society were starting to occur. The writing isn't great and the characters were not fully three-dimensional to me. Atticus, the nominal hero, is too good to be true. His children likewise are paragons of virtue. Similarly, the bad guys are pretty-much without redeeming characteristics. Finally, everyone (almost) lives happily ever after - the ending is way too neat. ( )
  oldblack | Apr 19, 2015 |
This was one of the worst books I've read in my life. I still can't believe that I got through the whole thing; it was excruciating. The author's character are ridiculous and unbelievable. One has to wonder if she has any real understanding of human interactions because the ones in this book were absolutely appalling.

The people in this story were overblown stereo-types and caricatures so horrendous that it was almost comical; almost. The story might have been inspiring to the generation for which it was written but it does not hold up to the test of time. And again, making almost all white people racists and evil and all black people as good and peaceful in an immoral distortion of reality. All in all, I'd say that Harper Lee did a horrible job and I don't understand why this book has such high acclaim. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
I can't remember when I've been so moved by a book. I realized I must have seen the movie as a child, but I don't think I ever read the book. I somehow had also missed the story out there about the discovery and publication of Harper Lee's other book, due to be released this summer. I look forward to that, but wonder if somehow she did not intend it to be published.

Anyway, I love the way the story is told through the eyes of a young girl who is fiercely protective of her father and strongly independent during a time when those traits were not valued in young girls.

I don't see much point in reviewing the details of the story here, given it is so well discussed everywhere else. I can see why it is a classic, and why it is read as widely as it has been. It will remain a treasured read of mine, and one I will delve into again just for the beauty of the writing and the ideas within. ( )
  lynetterl | Apr 16, 2015 |
Finally a re-read. A glossary might help. I think the line "so much shinny it made me tight" was important to understand at the time, for example, but it wasn't until significantly later in the book I realized it meant "so much alcohol it made me drunk." And the ending was awfully abrupt. But it's definitely a good book, entertaining and graceful and thought-provoking and ground-breaking.... I've a copy of Cliff's notes for it I'm going to read real soon, soon as I uncover them. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
A book that we thought instructed us about the world tells us, instead, about the limitations of Jim Crow liberalism in Maycomb, Alabama.

Its sentiments and moral grandeur are as unimpeachable as the character of its hero, Atticus. ... It's time to stop pretending that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is some kind of timeless classic that ranks with the great works of American literature. Its bloodless liberal humanism is sadly dated, as pristinely preserved in its pages as the dinosaur DNA in "Jurassic Park."

Author Lee, 34, an Alabaman, has written her first novel with all of the tactile brilliance and none of the preciosity generally supposed to be standard swamp-warfare issue for Southern writers. The novel is an account of an awakening to good and evil, and a faint catechistic flavor may have been inevitable. But it is faint indeed; Novelist Lee's prose has an edge that cuts through cant, and she teaches the reader an astonishing number of useful truths about little girls and about Southern life.
added by Shortride | editTime (pay site) (Aug 1, 1960)

There are some improbable and sentimental moments in the story, but there are also great moments of laughter that belong to memory and a novelist's hand... Miss Lee's original characters are people to cherish in this winning first novel by a fresh writer with something significant to say, South and North.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Herbert Mitgang (pay site) (Jul 13, 1960)

The dialogue of Miss Lee's refreshingly varied characters is a constant delight in its authenticity and swift revelation of personality. The events connecting the Finches with the Ewell-Robinson lawsuit develop quietly and logically, unifying the plot and dramatizing the author's level-headed plea for interracial understanding... Moviegoing readers will be able to cast most of the roles very quickly, but it is no disparagement of Miss Lee's winning book to say that it could be the basis of an excellent film.

Lee, Harperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Szymański, (tłumacz). MaciejTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westerlund, MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westerlund, MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westrup, Jadwiga P.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
~ Charles Lamb
For Mr. Lee and Alice
in consideration of Love & Affection
Please spare Mockingbird an Introduction. (From the Foreword by Harper Lee)
People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions, but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
Not from, but about To Kill a Mockingbird, with apologies:

Monroeville, Alabama
January, 1966

Editor, The News Leader:

Recently I have received echoes down this way of the Hanover County School Board’s activities, and what I’ve heard makes me wonder if any of its members can read.

Surely it is plain to the simplest intelligence that “To Kill a Mockingbird” spells out in words of seldom more than two syllables a code of honor and conduct, Christian in its ethic, that is the heritage of all Southerners. To hear that the novel is “immoral” has made me count the years between now and 1984, for I have yet to come across a better example of doublethink.

I feel, however, that the problem is one of illiteracy, not Marxism. Therefore I enclose a small contribution to the Beadle Bumble Fund that I hope will be used to enroll the Hanover County School Board in any first grade of its choice.

Harper Lee
'Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.' To Kill A Mockingbird is a coming of age story set in the deep south during the time of the Great Depression. Atticus Finch, father of Scout and Jem decides to represent a black man, accused of raping a white woman, in court. Although this stirs up the town during a much heated and racist time during America's history, it sheds a light on the hostility of the south during the 1930's. Filled with insight and suspense, To Kill A Mockingbird is a timeless story that any one can learn something from.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446310786, Mass Market Paperback)

"When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.... When enough years had gone by to enable us to look back on them, we sometimes discussed the events leading to his accident. I maintain that the Ewells started it all, but Jem, who was four years my senior, said it started long before that. He said it began the summer Dill came to us, when Dill first gave us the idea of making Boo Radley come out."

Set in the small Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama, during the Depression, To Kill a Mockingbird follows three years in the life of 8-year-old Scout Finch, her brother, Jem, and their father, Atticus--three years punctuated by the arrest and eventual trial of a young black man accused of raping a white woman. Though her story explores big themes, Harper Lee chooses to tell it through the eyes of a child. The result is a tough and tender novel of race, class, justice, and the pain of growing up.

Like the slow-moving occupants of her fictional town, Lee takes her time getting to the heart of her tale; we first meet the Finches the summer before Scout's first year at school. She, her brother, and Dill Harris, a boy who spends the summers with his aunt in Maycomb, while away the hours reenacting scenes from Dracula and plotting ways to get a peek at the town bogeyman, Boo Radley. At first the circumstances surrounding the alleged rape of Mayella Ewell, the daughter of a drunk and violent white farmer, barely penetrate the children's consciousness. Then Atticus is called on to defend the accused, Tom Robinson, and soon Scout and Jem find themselves caught up in events beyond their understanding. During the trial, the town exhibits its ugly side, but Lee offers plenty of counterbalance as well--in the struggle of an elderly woman to overcome her morphine habit before she dies; in the heroism of Atticus Finch, standing up for what he knows is right; and finally in Scout's hard-won understanding that most people are essentially kind "when you really see them." By turns funny, wise, and heartbreaking, To Kill a Mockingbird is one classic that continues to speak to new generations, and deserves to be reread often. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:20 -0400)

The explosion of racial hate in an Alabama town is viewed by a little girl whose father defends a black man accused of rape.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,717,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible