To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Perennial…

To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Perennial Modern Classics) (original 1960; edition 2006)

by Harper Lee (Author)

47,09885712 (4.41)2 / 1670
Member:BrookeF.
Title:To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Perennial Modern Classics)
Authors:Harper Lee (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial Modern Classics (2006), Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:coming of age, acceptance

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1960)

1960s (154)
Romans (41)
Unread books (1,320)
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (loriephillips)
    The Heart is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (dele2451, RosyLibrarian, chrisharpe)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Caramellunacy, RosyLibrarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about a young girl in the South coming to terms with racism. Secret Life of Bees features an teenaged protagonist whereas To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout is quite a bit younger, but I thought there were themes that resonated between the two.… (more)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (paulkid)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: These books share a precocious narrator, vital family relationships, and themes that are funny and sad and thought provoking all at the same time. Extremely well written and engaging.
    Native Son by Richard Wright (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: An African-American facing an uphill battle against a highly prejudiced jury and public. Wright, like Lee, explores the dangers of the stereotypes created by insular and ignorant societies.
    Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books are two sides of the same coin of life in a small Alabama town. Where there's dignity and hope in Mockingbird, Other Voices is decadence and demoralization
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (bnbookgirl)
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (eclt83)
    eclt83: Goodnight, Mr Tom is as touching as To kill a mockingbird. Problems in society causes pain for the weaker.
    Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence (kxlly)
    The Stones Of Mourning Creek by Diane Les Becquets (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Sadie-rae_Kieran: Similar setting, 1960's in the south. Deals with some similar issues as well,including racism/discrimination. Though sad at times, a beautiful and touching story.
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (rarm)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (chrisharpe)
    A Painted House by John Grisham (infiniteletters)
    Scottsboro Boy by Haywood Patterson (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: For the real story of race relations in Alabama in the thirties, read this autobiography of Haywood Patterson, one of several young black men judicially railroaded for the rape of two young white women, and sentenced to death. A national and international campaign ultimately resulted in their exonerations, but their lives had already been destroyed.… (more)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (aamirq)
    The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter van Tilburg Clark (mysterymax)
    mysterymax: This book also explores mob/vigilante thinking and is a classic in its own way.
    Dovey Coe by Frances O'Roark Dowell (meggyweg)

English (828)  French (8)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Norwegian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (857)
Like so many others, I first encountered this work when I was in high school--and, to be honest, I don't remember having any particular reaction...if anything, a vague sense of boredom accompanies my memories of the book. At that age, I didn't particularly like it or hate it,and years later, I remembered little of it beyond some of the major themes and characters. Pushed to reread it this month, I did so out of duty instead of desire or interest.

Rereading it as an adult was both a journey backward and a revelation. Harper Lee's writing is near perfection, bringing to life characters who are as believable as they are flawed and wonderful. Her depictions of innocence and hypocrisy are wide enough to draw tears, and well worth revisiting as an adult. Indeed, I think the best viewing of this text is going to come with reading the book as a young reader and then again as an adult, feeling the growth in yourself even as you read the growth of character on each page. It moved quickly, and the humor was wonderful, leading me to enjoy each page, and only wish there were more, or perhaps another side from the voice of Atticus.

As a high schooler, I didn't appreciate this--and, looking back, I can't imagine how I would have. Still, I see why teachers and the school system think it worth teaching. Reading it through this time, I've been in conversation with a high school student I'm tutoring, and I can hear in his voice the boredom I felt when I first approached the text. If he's to learn about civil rights and the hypocrisy of racism, he'd just as soon read nonfiction. Like I was, he's an advanced reader who has already moved on to writers like Stephen King and Ursula K. Le Guin, and Lee's realism doesn't hold much interest. Working with him, I can see him learning to appreciate the text, but he's not going to see the beauty in it for years to come, as is the case in my own experience.

The solution? I'm not sure. I don't know that I'd bother passing this on to teen readers, but I would recommend it to any adult. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Nov 17, 2014 |
Scout Finch lives in the deep south with her brother and father, this book tells their story of being a white family who sympathizes with african americans. This book shows racial prejudices in the 30's, i think it is important for students to learn about this period of time leading up to the civil rights which is why I would use it in my classroom. This book is appropriate for students 7th grade and up.
  SaraJoslin | Nov 15, 2014 |
I absolutely love this book. The story is equally as fascinating as Harper Lee's writing. Truly a timeless lesson on ethics and humanity.
  cimonique | Nov 5, 2014 |
I think my very favorite book... ( )
  mara.murdoch | Nov 4, 2014 |
An American classic, To Kill a Mockingbird was an eye-opener in its era in that it conveyed the ugly nature of society by showing that societal values were upheld when in conflict with morality. It took this idea to the extreme when it characterized protagonist Atticus Finch as a man with good intentions who represented the epitome of morality. Atticus lives in the sleepy town of Maycomb, Alabama, a town in which racism was prevalent likewise to most southern towns, and had two kids: scout and Jem. Atticus was a good father, and a well-respected lawyer who took a stand for morality when he decided to give his best defense for a blatantly innocent black man named Tom Robinson when Tom was prosecuted by an ignorant white family for rape. Despite his valiant effort, his credentials, and his clear pasting of the prosecution's case, the jury still upheld societal tradition over morality by promoting racial injustice. As a result, Robinson was sentenced to death, but was later killed after trying to escape from authority. Tom is one of the novel’s “mockingbirds,” an important symbol of innocence destroyed by evil. As a whole, To Kill a Mockingbird is a powerful piece of literature which I believe society could still learn some lessons from, and I highly recommend it. ( )
  Gus_Kasper | Nov 2, 2014 |
A book that we thought instructed us about the world tells us, instead, about the limitations of Jim Crow liberalism in Maycomb, Alabama.

Its sentiments and moral grandeur are as unimpeachable as the character of its hero, Atticus. ... It's time to stop pretending that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is some kind of timeless classic that ranks with the great works of American literature. Its bloodless liberal humanism is sadly dated, as pristinely preserved in its pages as the dinosaur DNA in "Jurassic Park."

Author Lee, 34, an Alabaman, has written her first novel with all of the tactile brilliance and none of the preciosity generally supposed to be standard swamp-warfare issue for Southern writers. The novel is an account of an awakening to good and evil, and a faint catechistic flavor may have been inevitable. But it is faint indeed; Novelist Lee's prose has an edge that cuts through cant, and she teaches the reader an astonishing number of useful truths about little girls and about Southern life.
added by Shortride | editTime (pay site) (Aug 1, 1960)

There are some improbable and sentimental moments in the story, but there are also great moments of laughter that belong to memory and a novelist's hand... Miss Lee's original characters are people to cherish in this winning first novel by a fresh writer with something significant to say, South and North.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Herbert Mitgang (pay site) (Jul 13, 1960)

The dialogue of Miss Lee's refreshingly varied characters is a constant delight in its authenticity and swift revelation of personality. The events connecting the Finches with the Ewell-Robinson lawsuit develop quietly and logically, unifying the plot and dramatizing the author's level-headed plea for interracial understanding... Moviegoing readers will be able to cast most of the roles very quickly, but it is no disparagement of Miss Lee's winning book to say that it could be the basis of an excellent film.

Lee, Harperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Westerlund, MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westerlund, MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westrup, Jadwiga P.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawyers, I suppose, were children once. - Charles Lamb
Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
~ Charles Lamb
For Mr. Lee and Alice
in consideration of Love and Affection
People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions, but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
Not from, but about To Kill a Mockingbird, with apologies:

Monroeville, Alabama
January, 1966

Editor, The News Leader:

Recently I have received echoes down this way of the Hanover County School Board’s activities, and what I’ve heard makes me wonder if any of its members can read.

Surely it is plain to the simplest intelligence that “To Kill a Mockingbird” spells out in words of seldom more than two syllables a code of honor and conduct, Christian in its ethic, that is the heritage of all Southerners. To hear that the novel is “immoral” has made me count the years between now and 1984, for I have yet to come across a better example of doublethink.

I feel, however, that the problem is one of illiteracy, not Marxism. Therefore I enclose a small contribution to the Beadle Bumble Fund that I hope will be used to enroll the Hanover County School Board in any first grade of its choice.

Harper Lee
'Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.' To Kill A Mockingbird is a coming of age story set in the deep south during the time of the Great Depression. Atticus Finch, father of Scout and Finch decides to represent a black man, accused of raping a white woman, in court. Although this stirrs up the town during a much heated and racist time during America's history, it sheds a light on the hostility of the south during the 1930's. Filled with insight and suspense, To Kill A Mockingbird is a timeless story that any one can learn something from.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446310786, Mass Market Paperback)

"When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.... When enough years had gone by to enable us to look back on them, we sometimes discussed the events leading to his accident. I maintain that the Ewells started it all, but Jem, who was four years my senior, said it started long before that. He said it began the summer Dill came to us, when Dill first gave us the idea of making Boo Radley come out."

Set in the small Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama, during the Depression, To Kill a Mockingbird follows three years in the life of 8-year-old Scout Finch, her brother, Jem, and their father, Atticus--three years punctuated by the arrest and eventual trial of a young black man accused of raping a white woman. Though her story explores big themes, Harper Lee chooses to tell it through the eyes of a child. The result is a tough and tender novel of race, class, justice, and the pain of growing up.

Like the slow-moving occupants of her fictional town, Lee takes her time getting to the heart of her tale; we first meet the Finches the summer before Scout's first year at school. She, her brother, and Dill Harris, a boy who spends the summers with his aunt in Maycomb, while away the hours reenacting scenes from Dracula and plotting ways to get a peek at the town bogeyman, Boo Radley. At first the circumstances surrounding the alleged rape of Mayella Ewell, the daughter of a drunk and violent white farmer, barely penetrate the children's consciousness. Then Atticus is called on to defend the accused, Tom Robinson, and soon Scout and Jem find themselves caught up in events beyond their understanding. During the trial, the town exhibits its ugly side, but Lee offers plenty of counterbalance as well--in the struggle of an elderly woman to overcome her morphine habit before she dies; in the heroism of Atticus Finch, standing up for what he knows is right; and finally in Scout's hard-won understanding that most people are essentially kind "when you really see them." By turns funny, wise, and heartbreaking, To Kill a Mockingbird is one classic that continues to speak to new generations, and deserves to be reread often. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:20 -0400)

The explosion of racial hate in an Alabama town is viewed by a little girl whose father defends a black man accused of rape.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,945,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible