To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Perennial…

To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Perennial Modern Classics) (original 1960; edition 2006)

by Harper Lee

47,99589712 (4.4)2 / 1747
Member:BrookeF.
Title:To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Perennial Modern Classics)
Authors:Harper Lee (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial Modern Classics (2006), Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:coming of age, acceptance

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1960)

Recently added byevolutionary, woopoodoo, luvthefloyd, Amelia_Smith, jf1989, PHall37, private library, JenMcG, LServices
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (loriephillips)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Caramellunacy, rosylibrarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about a young girl in the South coming to terms with racism. Secret Life of Bees features an teenaged protagonist whereas To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout is quite a bit younger, but I thought there were themes that resonated between the two.… (more)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (paulkid)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    The Heart is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (dele2451, rosylibrarian, chrisharpe)
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Snow Falling on Cedars: A Novel by David Guterson (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: These books share a precocious narrator, vital family relationships, and themes that are funny and sad and thought provoking all at the same time. Extremely well written and engaging.
    Native Son by Richard Wright (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: An African-American facing an uphill battle against a highly prejudiced jury and public. Wright, like Lee, explores the dangers of the stereotypes created by insular and ignorant societies.
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books are two sides of the same coin of life in a small Alabama town. Where there's dignity and hope in Mockingbird, Other Voices is decadence and demoralization
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (bnbookgirl)
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (eclt83)
    eclt83: Goodnight, Mr Tom is as touching as To kill a mockingbird. Problems in society causes pain for the weaker.
    Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence (kxlly)
    The Stones Of Mourning Creek by Diane Les Becquets (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Sadie-rae_Kieran: Similar setting, 1960's in the south. Deals with some similar issues as well,including racism/discrimination. Though sad at times, a beautiful and touching story.
    A Painted House by John Grisham (infiniteletters)
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (rarm)
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (chrisharpe)
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (LKAYC)
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (aamirq)
    The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter van Tilburg Clark (mysterymax)
    mysterymax: This book also explores mob/vigilante thinking and is a classic in its own way.
    Scottsboro Boy by Haywood Patterson (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: For the real story of race relations in Alabama in the thirties, read this autobiography of Haywood Patterson, one of several young black men judicially railroaded for the rape of two young white women, and sentenced to death. A national and international campaign ultimately resulted in their exonerations, but their lives had already been destroyed.… (more)

Romans (41)
1960s (157)
Unread books (1,082)

English (864)  French (8)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Italian (3)  Swedish (3)  Dutch (3)  Norwegian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (894)
It is a sin to kill a mockingbird and a sin to kill an innocent man. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books, and one that I never expected to like. I always knew it was a "classic" but when I first read it as an assignment I dreaded it more than anything. Suffice to say, I was wrong. This is not a book that I would use in my classroom as an elementary educator but would be incredibly powerful in secondary classrooms at this time in our nation. "Sin to kill an innocent man" really resonates with all of the police brutality cases. To Kill a Mocking Bird should always be in the curriculum, but especially in a time like this. ( )
  kitbraddick | Apr 30, 2015 |
Summary: Scout and Atticus Finch are a brother and sister living in Alabama. They spend a lot of time with their friend Dill doing their favorite pastime, spying on their reclusive neighbor Boo Radley. Their father is a respected lawyer who goes to defend a black man named Tom Robinson who was accused with fabricated rape charges. The children learn from the trial and evidence the evils of racism.

Personal connection: I read this book in high school as part of our curriculum, knowing it was a classic and expected it to be horribly boring. I actually really enjoyed the book and would recommend it to any high school students that for some reason did not get to read it while in school.

Class use: Teach students what times were like in the 30s and about the horrible truths of racism in those times and even today. ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |
With amazing prose and suspense, Lee takes the reader on an adventure highlighting the deep south of the 1930's while also entrenching the reader in the seat of a courtroom. The author produces phenomenal writing, vocabulary, and plot. There were multiple times I was on the edge of my seat awaiting the next turn in the story. I now understand why this has always been called one of the true literary classics of our country. Upon completion of this novel, one cant help but look at society and allow the book to be its "canon." It truly opens the reader's eyes revealing that while much has changed in regard to society and race, much of it in fact remains the same. [b:To Kill a Mockingbird|2657|To Kill a Mockingbird|Harper Lee|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1361975680s/2657.jpg|3275794] ( )
  Noah_Schumacher | Apr 28, 2015 |
To Kill a Mockingbird is a tragic story made bearable by being told from the point of view of a child that does not understand the full extent of events' seriousness. Children's innocence contrasts beautifully with ignorance and fear of fellow people. A child does not understand why an innocent man is sentenced to death when he is proven to be innocent in the court room - and the confusion, angry tears and arising doubt about goodness of people were characteristic only of the just and sensible lawyer and his children. A man died because people were too scared to stand up for what they believe in deep inside, and that is probably the worst trait of human beings. The tragic events were disguised as the background of the story, while most of the book dealt with Jem and Scout starting school, having their childhood adventures, believing in ghosts and dealing with kids' stuff, which was wonderfully humorous and absolutely cute. To Kill a Mockingbird reads like those children's books we have all read about incredible adventures, friendship, growing up... aside from the book's huge "hidden" message and tragic events. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
I found this to be a good book, but not a great book. I'm pretty sure that its prominent place in literature is largely due to the timing of its initial publication in 1960 at a time when the American Civil Rights movement was gathering momentum and structural changes in American society were starting to occur. The writing isn't great and the characters were not fully three-dimensional to me. Atticus, the nominal hero, is too good to be true. His children likewise are paragons of virtue. Similarly, the bad guys are pretty-much without redeeming characteristics. Finally, everyone (almost) lives happily ever after - the ending is way too neat. ( )
  oldblack | Apr 19, 2015 |
A book that we thought instructed us about the world tells us, instead, about the limitations of Jim Crow liberalism in Maycomb, Alabama.

Its sentiments and moral grandeur are as unimpeachable as the character of its hero, Atticus. ... It's time to stop pretending that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is some kind of timeless classic that ranks with the great works of American literature. Its bloodless liberal humanism is sadly dated, as pristinely preserved in its pages as the dinosaur DNA in "Jurassic Park."

Author Lee, 34, an Alabaman, has written her first novel with all of the tactile brilliance and none of the preciosity generally supposed to be standard swamp-warfare issue for Southern writers. The novel is an account of an awakening to good and evil, and a faint catechistic flavor may have been inevitable. But it is faint indeed; Novelist Lee's prose has an edge that cuts through cant, and she teaches the reader an astonishing number of useful truths about little girls and about Southern life.
added by Shortride | editTime (pay site) (Aug 1, 1960)

There are some improbable and sentimental moments in the story, but there are also great moments of laughter that belong to memory and a novelist's hand... Miss Lee's original characters are people to cherish in this winning first novel by a fresh writer with something significant to say, South and North.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Herbert Mitgang (pay site) (Jul 13, 1960)

The dialogue of Miss Lee's refreshingly varied characters is a constant delight in its authenticity and swift revelation of personality. The events connecting the Finches with the Ewell-Robinson lawsuit develop quietly and logically, unifying the plot and dramatizing the author's level-headed plea for interracial understanding... Moviegoing readers will be able to cast most of the roles very quickly, but it is no disparagement of Miss Lee's winning book to say that it could be the basis of an excellent film.

Lee, Harperprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Szymański, (tłumacz). MaciejTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westerlund, MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westerlund, MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westrup, Jadwiga P.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
~ Charles Lamb
For Mr. Lee and Alice
in consideration of Love & Affection
Please spare Mockingbird an Introduction. (From the Foreword by Harper Lee)
People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions, but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
Not from, but about To Kill a Mockingbird, with apologies:

Monroeville, Alabama
January, 1966

Editor, The News Leader:

Recently I have received echoes down this way of the Hanover County School Board’s activities, and what I’ve heard makes me wonder if any of its members can read.

Surely it is plain to the simplest intelligence that “To Kill a Mockingbird” spells out in words of seldom more than two syllables a code of honor and conduct, Christian in its ethic, that is the heritage of all Southerners. To hear that the novel is “immoral” has made me count the years between now and 1984, for I have yet to come across a better example of doublethink.

I feel, however, that the problem is one of illiteracy, not Marxism. Therefore I enclose a small contribution to the Beadle Bumble Fund that I hope will be used to enroll the Hanover County School Board in any first grade of its choice.

Harper Lee
'Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.' To Kill A Mockingbird is a coming of age story set in the deep south during the time of the Great Depression. Atticus Finch, father of Scout and Jem decides to represent a black man, accused of raping a white woman, in court. Although this stirs up the town during a much heated and racist time during America's history, it sheds a light on the hostility of the south during the 1930's. Filled with insight and suspense, To Kill A Mockingbird is a timeless story that any one can learn something from.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446310786, Mass Market Paperback)

"When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.... When enough years had gone by to enable us to look back on them, we sometimes discussed the events leading to his accident. I maintain that the Ewells started it all, but Jem, who was four years my senior, said it started long before that. He said it began the summer Dill came to us, when Dill first gave us the idea of making Boo Radley come out."

Set in the small Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama, during the Depression, To Kill a Mockingbird follows three years in the life of 8-year-old Scout Finch, her brother, Jem, and their father, Atticus--three years punctuated by the arrest and eventual trial of a young black man accused of raping a white woman. Though her story explores big themes, Harper Lee chooses to tell it through the eyes of a child. The result is a tough and tender novel of race, class, justice, and the pain of growing up.

Like the slow-moving occupants of her fictional town, Lee takes her time getting to the heart of her tale; we first meet the Finches the summer before Scout's first year at school. She, her brother, and Dill Harris, a boy who spends the summers with his aunt in Maycomb, while away the hours reenacting scenes from Dracula and plotting ways to get a peek at the town bogeyman, Boo Radley. At first the circumstances surrounding the alleged rape of Mayella Ewell, the daughter of a drunk and violent white farmer, barely penetrate the children's consciousness. Then Atticus is called on to defend the accused, Tom Robinson, and soon Scout and Jem find themselves caught up in events beyond their understanding. During the trial, the town exhibits its ugly side, but Lee offers plenty of counterbalance as well--in the struggle of an elderly woman to overcome her morphine habit before she dies; in the heroism of Atticus Finch, standing up for what he knows is right; and finally in Scout's hard-won understanding that most people are essentially kind "when you really see them." By turns funny, wise, and heartbreaking, To Kill a Mockingbird is one classic that continues to speak to new generations, and deserves to be reread often. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:20 -0400)

The explosion of racial hate in an Alabama town is viewed by a little girl whose father defends a black man accused of rape.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,788,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible