To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To Kill a Mockingbird (original 1960; edition 1988)

by Harper Lee

Info:Grand Central Publishing (1988), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Untitled collection
Rating:*****
Tags:Harper Lee

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (1960)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (loriephillips)
    The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (dele2451, rosylibrarian, chrisharpe)
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (Caramellunacy, rosylibrarian)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories are about a young girl in the South coming to terms with racism. Secret Life of Bees features an teenaged protagonist whereas To Kill a Mockingbird's Scout is quite a bit younger, but I thought there were themes that resonated between the two.… (more)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (paulkid)
    paulkid: There are many similarities between these books. For example, a strong father-daughter relationship, where the father teaches by example by taking the moral high ground in protecting a persecuted minority - also kids that break down the barriers between secluded and socially awkward neighbors through books and sundry shenanigans.… (more)
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor (Caramellunacy, Anonymous user, Anonymous user)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories about a young girl coming of age in the South and racial intolerance. Also both beautiful reads! To Kill a Mockingbird is told by Scout Finch - the daughter of the town lawyer called upon to defend an African-American man accused of rape. Roll of Thunder is told from the point of view of the daughter of a cotton-picking family who only slowly grows to realize the extent of prejudice her family faces.… (more)
    Snow Falling on Cedars: A Novel by David Guterson (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: Very different novels exploring similar themes
    Peace Like a River by Leif Enger (wisewoman)
    wisewoman: These books share a precocious narrator, vital family relationships, and themes that are funny and sad and thought provoking all at the same time. Extremely well written and engaging.
    Native Son by Richard Wright (DanLovesAlice)
    DanLovesAlice: An African-American facing an uphill battle against a highly prejudiced jury and public. Wright, like Lee, explores the dangers of the stereotypes created by insular and ignorant societies.
    Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books are two sides of the same coin of life in a small Alabama town. Where there's dignity and hope in Mockingbird, Other Voices is decadence and demoralization
    Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns (bnbookgirl)
    Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian (eclt83)
    eclt83: Goodnight, Mr Tom is as touching as To kill a mockingbird. Problems in society causes pain for the weaker.
    A Painted House by John Grisham (infiniteletters)
    The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (LKAYC)
    Home by Toni Morrison (Louve_de_mer)
    Louve_de_mer: Pour les problèmes de ségrégation raciale aux États-Unis.
    Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (chrisharpe)
    Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence (kxlly)
    A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (rarm)
    The Stones Of Mourning Creek by Diane Les Becquets (Sadie-rae_Kieran)
    Sadie-rae_Kieran: Similar setting, 1960's in the south. Deals with some similar issues as well,including racism/discrimination. Though sad at times, a beautiful and touching story.
    The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter van Tilburg Clark (mysterymax)
    mysterymax: This book also explores mob/vigilante thinking and is a classic in its own way.
    Scottsboro Boy by Haywood Patterson (lilithcat)
    lilithcat: For the real story of race relations in Alabama in the thirties, read this autobiography of Haywood Patterson, one of several young black men judicially railroaded for the rape of two young white women, and sentenced to death. A national and international campaign ultimately resulted in their exonerations, but their lives had already been destroyed.… (more)

Romans (41)
. (1)

English (1,036)  Spanish (12)  French (8)  German (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (4)  Swedish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Hungarian (2)  English (1)  Danish (1)  English (1,082)
I would like to encourage everyone who loves reading as a pastime activity to read this book. Yes I admit that this book progressed slowly at first, sometimes it made me feel sleepy and it seems like another typical boring book. But after going through the first chapter, you will be taken away into the world of Scout, Jem and their father Atticus, who is a lawyer. The main story of this book revolves around a lawyer that is defending a black-raced person who is accused of raping. The accused person is getting accused because of unresolved alibi. But, because of his race, the people and court still blame on him. Yes, the story in this book happens in the past when discrimination against the negro in United States is still going on.

But this book is not all just about fighting discrimination. The fact that discrimination is the root of all prejudice. And this prejudice is the thing that Atticus wants to fight against for, or even Scout herself. Scout at first thinks that Boo Radley, one of her neighbor, is a monster because he never goes out of his house, but at the and she can understands the position of Boo without judging him.

One of the outstanding point of this book is its way of wordings. I really enjoy the story about social inequality that’s being told in a 8-year-old girl point of view. Harper Lee is a great writer. I love the way that the theme of this novel is actually very complex. But, through the character of Scout, I was invited to understand every problems in a little girl’s point of view, a pure point of view, who doesn’t have any prejudice, so that I can view each one of the conflicts in this novel with a neutral point of view. As I read, I felt that the characters are also memorable and had a great impact on me.

But, despite all of the beautiful wording and quotes from the book that are repeatedly recited everywhere, I considered it’s slow progression of the story in the first two chapters as it’s biggest letdown point, and that is one of the reason why many people can’t seem to really enjoy this book from the beginning and finish it right away. It takes time for people to really get into the story, and after all that’s what reading is teaching us about, it’s all about patience, we have to sit back, relax and enjoy the piece of art that the writer’s going to tell us through a writing form. But a slow progression at first chapter doesn’t hinder my curiosity to read this book, I’ve been hearing a lot of nice feedback for this book and I believe this book will do the same wonder to other reader who seems haven’t got the opportunity to finish this book as it did to me. Scout’s curiosity and Atticus’ wisdom is the combo that keep me alive while reading this book. As the same old saying says “If you keep skipping from page to page, you will miss the fun”. It’s the same for this book, if you won’t patiently keep on reading, you will miss all the fun and comedy. So, it’s definitely a 5 star from me. ( )
  SamanthaButarButar | Dec 4, 2016 |
I would like to encourage everyone who loves reading as a pastime activity to read this book. Yes I admit that this book progressed slowly at first, sometimes it made me feel sleepy and it seems like another typical boring book. But after going through the first chapter, you will be taken away into the world of Scout, Jem and their father Atticus, who is a lawyer. The main story of this book revolves around a lawyer that is defending a black-raced person who is accused of raping. The accused person is getting accused because of unresolved alibi. But, because of his race, the people and court still blame it on him. Yes, the story in this book happens in the past when discrimination against the negro in United States is still going on.

SamanthaButarButar | Dec 4, 2016 |
To Kill a Mockingbird is the story of racial injustice in the mid-20th century south. The narrative centers on Scout Finch’s family and her observations of the town around them.

To Kill a Mockingbird, published in 1960, is classified as a Bildungsroman, or coming of age novel, and a Southern Gothic novel. Southern Gothic is a uniquely American literature, taking place completely in the Deep South. To Kill a Mockingbird illustrates this through the racism prevalent throughout the novel as well as the idiosyncratic characters, especially Boo Radley. The character of Atticus Finch is one of the greatest in literature. He is a normal man who steps up to do the right thing, no matter the cost.

Harper Lee based the book loosely on events in her own childhood, growing up in rural Alabama. She paints the characters with unique characteristics that make them seem like people you would know in real life, and creates a town that seems like a place you’ve visited before.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. As a Southerner myself, I could see people I knew in childhood throughout this novel. Although I grew up in a very different time period, it still rings true.
  aharey | Nov 30, 2016 |
I know I'm in the minority here but I'm just going to say it-this is one of the worst books I have ever read. It failed to keep my interest and was actually painful for me to read. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
I was really sad that Tom died, but i guess it was ok because eventually all blacks were completely free. I was happy that Mr Radly helped them and I was wondering why he had stayed in that house his whole life. It was really interesting, it seems that in all novels someone dies. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
Author Lee, 34, an Alabaman, has written her first novel with all of the tactile brilliance and none of the preciosity generally supposed to be standard swamp-warfare issue for Southern writers. The novel is an account of an awakening to good and evil, and a faint catechistic flavor may have been inevitable. But it is faint indeed; Novelist Lee's prose has an edge that cuts through cant, and she teaches the reader an astonishing number of useful truths about little girls and about Southern life.
added by LT_Ammar | editTime

The dialogue of Miss Lee's refreshingly varied characters is a constant delight in its authenticity and swift revelation of personality. The events connecting the Finches with the Ewell-Robinson lawsuit develop quietly and logically, unifying the plot and dramatizing the author's level-headed plea for interracial understanding... Moviegoing readers will be able to cast most of the roles very quickly, but it is no disparagement of Miss Lee's winning book to say that it could be the basis of an excellent film.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New York Times Book Review, Frank H. Lyell

Its sentiments and moral grandeur are as unimpeachable as the character of its hero, Atticus. ... It's time to stop pretending that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is some kind of timeless classic that ranks with the great works of American literature. Its bloodless liberal humanism is sadly dated, as pristinely preserved in its pages as the dinosaur DNA in "Jurassic Park."
added by LT_Ammar | editThe Wall Street Journal, Allen Barra

A book that we thought instructed us about the world tells us, instead, about the limitations of Jim Crow liberalism in Maycomb, Alabama.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New Yorker, Malcolm Gladwell

There are some improbable and sentimental moments in the story, but there are also great moments of laughter that belong to memory and a novelist's hand... Miss Lee's original characters are people to cherish in this winning first novel by a fresh writer with something significant to say, South and North.
added by LT_Ammar | editThe New York Times, Herbert Mitgang

Spacek, SissyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stoïanov, IsabelleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westerlund, MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westrup, Jadwiga P.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
~ Charles Lamb
For Mr. Lee and Alice
in consideration of Love & Affection
Please spare Mockingbird an Introduction. (From the Foreword by Harper Lee)
People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions, but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.
Not from, but about To Kill a Mockingbird, with apologies:

Monroeville, Alabama
January, 1966

Editor, The News Leader:

Recently I have received echoes down this way of the Hanover County School Board’s activities, and what I’ve heard makes me wonder if any of its members can read.

Surely it is plain to the simplest intelligence that “To Kill a Mockingbird” spells out in words of seldom more than two syllables a code of honor and conduct, Christian in its ethic, that is the heritage of all Southerners. To hear that the novel is “immoral” has made me count the years between now and 1984, for I have yet to come across a better example of doublethink.

I feel, however, that the problem is one of illiteracy, not Marxism. Therefore I enclose a small contribution to the Beadle Bumble Fund that I hope will be used to enroll the Hanover County School Board in any first grade of its choice.

Harper Lee

'Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.' To Kill A Mockingbird is a coming of age story set in the deep south during the time of the Great Depression. Atticus Finch, father of Scout and Jem decides to represent a black man, accused of raping a white woman, in court. Although this stirs up the town during a much heated and racist time during America's history, it sheds a light on the hostility of the south during the 1930's. Filled with insight and suspense, To Kill A Mockingbird is a timeless story that any one can learn something from.
Scout recalls her youth
Mad dogs, rabid mob threaten
Lawyer Dad defends.
(pickupsticks)
Dad says it's O.K
To kill a blue jay. But not
A mockingbird. Why?
(pickupsticks)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446310786, Mass Market Paperback)

"When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.... When enough years had gone by to enable us to look back on them, we sometimes discussed the events leading to his accident. I maintain that the Ewells started it all, but Jem, who was four years my senior, said it started long before that. He said it began the summer Dill came to us, when Dill first gave us the idea of making Boo Radley come out."

Set in the small Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama, during the Depression, To Kill a Mockingbird follows three years in the life of 8-year-old Scout Finch, her brother, Jem, and their father, Atticus--three years punctuated by the arrest and eventual trial of a young black man accused of raping a white woman. Though her story explores big themes, Harper Lee chooses to tell it through the eyes of a child. The result is a tough and tender novel of race, class, justice, and the pain of growing up.

Like the slow-moving occupants of her fictional town, Lee takes her time getting to the heart of her tale; we first meet the Finches the summer before Scout's first year at school. She, her brother, and Dill Harris, a boy who spends the summers with his aunt in Maycomb, while away the hours reenacting scenes from Dracula and plotting ways to get a peek at the town bogeyman, Boo Radley. At first the circumstances surrounding the alleged rape of Mayella Ewell, the daughter of a drunk and violent white farmer, barely penetrate the children's consciousness. Then Atticus is called on to defend the accused, Tom Robinson, and soon Scout and Jem find themselves caught up in events beyond their understanding. During the trial, the town exhibits its ugly side, but Lee offers plenty of counterbalance as well--in the struggle of an elderly woman to overcome her morphine habit before she dies; in the heroism of Atticus Finch, standing up for what he knows is right; and finally in Scout's hard-won understanding that most people are essentially kind "when you really see them." By turns funny, wise, and heartbreaking, To Kill a Mockingbird is one classic that continues to speak to new generations, and deserves to be reread often. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:38 -0400)

The explosion of racial hate in an Alabama town is viewed by a little girl whose father defends a black man accused of rape.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,735,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible