Hero by Perry Moore

Hero (2007)

by Perry Moore, TK (Illustrator)

Member:EKAnderson
Title:Hero
Authors:Perry Moore
Other authors:TK (Illustrator)
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2007), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:own, ARC, want to read, kids, teen

Hero by Perry Moore (2007)

Soon I Will Be Invincible: A Novel by Austin Grossman (lampbane)
    lampbane: An alternative perspective on the lives of superheroes, also told outside the comics page.
    The Awakening #1 (Quantum Prophecy) by Michael Carroll (Vulco1)
    Vulco1: Action. Adventure. YA. Super powers. Next generation of young heroes.
    Hero-Type by Barry Lyga (lampbane)
    lampbane: Also features a teen protagonist ruminating on what makes a person a hero.

This was a fun romp through the world of super heroes!! Thom is a typical teenager ... or is he? He’s maybe got some super powers that he doesn’t know how to control. Also, he has feelings that he’s uncomfortable about because he thinks his father won’t be able to love him if he finds out.

Sad and laugh out loud funny.

I adored this. ( )
  Charlotte_Kinzie | Jun 20, 2019 |

Sad and laugh out loud funny.

I adored this. ( )
  Charlotte_Kinzie | Jun 20, 2019 |
Great idea. So-so writing. Loved it anyway.

I'll just cut the equivocating for once. Moore is clearly a comics fan on both sides of the Marvel/DC dividing line, even if he seems to favor the DC archetypes, and has filled his book with parallels and direct references to characters as prominent as Superman and Susan Reed and as obscure as Matter-Eater Lad.

There is so much material to be found in superheroes that it's surprising how its only recently that text novels have come out on the subject...no pun intended.

Because, yeah, the main hook here is Thom Creed coming to terms with his homosexuality, and the ridicule and aggression he's afraid to face at home and from the League of Superheroes. The book is funny too, from Thom and his team-mates being the designated 'D' squad, to Thom's masturbation fantasies starring Uberman.

And yes, the writing is mostly choppy, and most of the cast of characters are pretty skimpy, relying heavily on reader-knowledge of superhero archetypes to fill the gaps. But did I like? Hell yes.

Here comes the personal story:

The importance of this book to others will be like what 'The Broken Hearts Club' was to me, a fluffy and inconsequential romantic comedy where all the characters are gay (starring Timothy Olyphant, Dean Cain, Zach Braff and the dad from Frasier!) I saw it around the time I first really started to come to terms with being gay and what that really meant for my life.

A joke in the movie is that how the only gay characters in movies are dying AIDS patients or resolute friends of dying AIDS patients. Or catty best friend to lonely female. Which was true. The sexless 'Will & Grace' hadn't really come in on my radar yet. Here was a movie that was about a normal group of friends and their relationships, no one was dying of AIDS, there was no big scene about suffering intolerance. I guess my eureka here was that there were enough of us out there that there was an audience for this kind of movie. And maybe, normal life was possible.

/end personal story.

I'm OK with the fact that this book is a little flawed, a little trivial, a little gushy; whatever. It has action and heart and a happy ending. This book can be important with a little 'i,' because I think it accomplishes, and then some, the author's original intent to craft a story about being a gay teenager and creating a realistic gay superhero. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I'm annoyed that the writing here was so poor, since the subject matter was so necessary in mainstream literature. The preface by Stan Lee was a humorless twist, since many of the superheroes depicted were blatant analogs of the classic DC Comics starting lineup.

All told, a disappointment. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
Loved the premise, loved some of the characters (especially Ruth, who breaks every superhero stereotype it is possible to break). The writing and the plot were decent but not memorable. There were some plot threads never resolved, which always frustrates me. It was great to have a gay aspiring superhero as the main character, though. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
added by gsc55 | editMy Fiction Nook, AnnaLund (Sep 13, 2014)

For everyone
I never thought I'd have a story worth telling, at least not one about me.
Everyone in the world should have at least one moment in their lifetime when an entire crowd of people cheers them on for something, one moment to feel exceptional, one moment that lets you know you really do mean something in the universe.
I thought about how she’d felt the need to explain to me what colored meant because people didn’t use the term anymore. I wondered if the same thing would happen one day to faggot.

Thom Creed is used to being on his own. Even though he's a basketball star, his classmates keep their distance. They pick up on something different about Thom. Plus, he can't escape his father's history. Hal Creed had been one of the greatest and most beloved superheroes of his time, until a catastrophic event left him disfigured and a pariah - and led to the disappearance of Thom's mother.

The last thing in the world Thom wants is to add to his father's pain, so he keeps secrets. Like that he has special powers. And that he's been asked to join the League - the very organization of superheroes that disowned Hal. The most painful secret of all is one Thom can barely face himself, much less admit to anyone else. To make matters worse, he knows someone's been following him. Someone who now knows everything.

But joining the League opens up a new world to Thom. There, he connects with a misfit group of aspiring heroes, including Scarlett, who can control fire but not her anger; Typhoid Larry, who can make anyone sick with his touch; and Ruth, a wise old broad who can see the future. Like Thom, these heroes have things to hide; but they have to learn to trust one another when they uncover a deadly conspiracy within the League.

To survive, Thom will have to face challenges he never imagined. To find happiness, he'll have to come to terms with his father's past and discover the kind of hero he really wants to be. This groundbreaking novel tells an unforgettable story of love, loss, and redemption.

Thom Creed, the gay son of a disowned superhero, finds that he, too, has special powers and is asked to join the very League that rejected his father, and it is there that Thom finds other misfits whom he can finally trust.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,649,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible