Axis by Robert Charles Wilson

Axis (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Robert Charles Wilson

Series: Spin (2)

7202613,063 (3.36)23
Member:mcwetboy
Title:Axis
Authors:Robert Charles Wilson
Info:Tor Books (2007), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:fiction, novel, science fiction

Axis by Robert Charles Wilson (2007)

English (24)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (26)
I read the first novel in this series, Spin, a year or so ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. While it left quite a few questions unanswered, it played out well and logically to it's end and I was looking forward to the next books in the series. Jump forward to just recently when I finally managed to pick up Axis, the next book in the series. This starts not long after Spin ends, but with a mostly new cast of characters. More action, more conflict and more human relational interactions than with Spin, this was an enjoyable read. Still not many more answers were revealed and this added some unresolved questions to the mix. Not as good as Spin, but still worth the time to read. ( )
  harpua | Jun 22, 2014 |
This picked up where [b:Spin|910863|Spin|Robert Charles Wilson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1316636370s/910863.jpg|47562] left off, but with a (mostly) new cast of characters. I liked this one a lot. Not quite as much as I liked Spin, but it was still a really good read. It's more like 3.5 stars, but I rounded down to 3 since I gave Spin 4 stars, and it wasn't quite at the same level.

The whole concept of these books is still fascinating to me. This one had some pacing issues.. It was a little slow in parts, and then felt slightly rushed in the end, but not so much that it ruined the overall experience for me. Where some might be put off by the new cast of characters, it didn't bother me at all. I didn't like Spin for the characters.. I liked it for the overall story/mystery. I want to know more about the Hypotheticals and what's going on out there where ever they are. I kept reading because I wanted to know more, not because I loved the characters that the story centered around. I didn't find out as much as I hoped to find out, but my itch still got scratched, so I feel mostly satisfied.

Overall, a good read. I'll definitely be reading [b:Vortex|9359796|Vortex|Robert Charles Wilson|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1312034516s/9359796.jpg|13438392], probably sooner rather than later. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |
A sort of sequel to spin with more action and consideration of what it means to be human and to love. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
The sequel to Spin, Axis is yet another tightly-woven, thought-provoking novel from one of my favorites, Robert Charles Wilson. Wilson's earliest novels were very enjoyable but almost too tightly constructed. In his later works, there is some room for the reader to breathe, and thus, I think, to identify more with the protagonists. Spin described the enveloping of Earth by a mysterious barrier, and made some revelations about its origin and purposes. It is not necessary to have read it to understand Axis, though it might be helpful. Axis includes sufficient exposition about previous events to carry the story, but for the full effect of a theme that pervades Wilson's work, the shift from the numinous and inexplicable to the mundane and ordinary, read both.

Axis includes other echoes of Wilson's previous work, notably returning to the question of life as a recording or replica after death, and some characters' choices about whether or not to accede to this process. Wilson's Jungian themes are also present, and his aliens are, as always, believably alien. Read Axis in conjunction with Sturgeon's More Than Human: They're not the same, but they belong together and should contribute to an interesting discussion. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |
This series starts well, but gets more and more disappointing as it progresses. ( )
1 vote BrianSchweitzer | Oct 3, 2012 |

Robert Charles Wilsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Seeley, DaveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sohár AnikóTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is necessary that things should pass away into that from which they are born. For things must pay one another the penalty and compensation for their injustice according to the ordinance of time. -- Anaximander
Dedicated to the memory of Dr. Albert Goldhar and Ella Beautone (Bootie) Goldhar, and to the family they created and into which they generously accepted me.
In the summer of his twelfth year - the summer the stars began to fall from the sky - the boy Isaac discovered that he could tell East from West with his eyes closed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765348268, Mass Market Paperback)

Wildly praised by readers and critics alike, Robert Charles Wilson's Spin won science fiction's highest honor, the Hugo Award for Best Novel.

Now, in Axis, Spin's direct sequel, Wilson takes us to the "world next door"—the planet engineered by the mysterious Hypotheticals to support human life, and connected to Earth by way of the Arch that towers hundreds of miles over the Indian Ocean. Humans are colonizing this new world—and, predictably, fiercely exploiting its resources, chiefly large deposits of oil in the western deserts of the continent of Equatoria.

Lise Adams is a young woman attempting to uncover the mystery of her father's disappearance ten years earlier. Turk Findley is an ex-sailor and sometimes-drifter. They come together when an infall of cometary dust seeds the planet with tiny remnant Hypothetical machines. Soon, this seemingly hospitable world will become very alien indeed—as the nature of time is once again twisted, by entities unknown.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:58 -0400)

"Now, in Spin's direct sequel, Wilson takes us to the "world next door" - the planet engineered by the mysterious Hypotheticals to support human life, and connected to Earth by way of the Arch that towers hundreds of miles over the Indian Ocean. Humans are colonizing this new world - and, predictably, fiercely exploiting its resources, chiefly large deposits of oil in the western deserts of the continent of Equatoria." "Use Adams is a young woman attempting to uncover the mystery of her father's disappearance twelve years earlier. Turk Findley is an ex-sailor and drifter. They come together when an infall of cometary dust seeds the planet with tiny remnant Hypothetical machines." "Now Lise, Turk, a Martian woman, and a boy who has been engineered to communicate with the Hypotheticals are drawn to a place in the desert where this seemingly hospitable world has become suddenly very alien indeed - and the nature of time is once again being twisted by entities unknown."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,943,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible