Axis by Robert Charles Wilson

Axis (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Robert Charles Wilson

Series: Spin (2)

Member:mcwetboy
Title:Axis
Authors:Robert Charles Wilson
Info:Tor Books (2007), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:fiction, novel, science fiction

Axis by Robert Charles Wilson (2007)

English (27)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All (30)
Axis is almost a 4 star book but I can't quite give it that, primarily because it never rose to the level that Spin did. Spin was a 4 1/2 star read - not a perfect novel by any means but an excellent, engaging one. This is more like a very good one. The author tries, I'll give him that, but most characters just never got their hooks into me, and the story builds on the first novel but does not have any "WOW" to it for me - there's stuff that might wow some readers, but not me. I've seen a number of comments saying it suffers from middle book syndrome and that the final book "Vortex" is the payoff.

The author throws some big ideas out here (and in Spin), that appeals to the science nerd part of me. He doesn't explain them though, explain in the sense of how is that even remotely possible. The big idea in Spin was not explained. We were told about it in various ways, but there is no way it could be explained. What seems to be the start of an explanation here gets a little woo-woo, and I've pretty much given up on seeing an explanation for what happened - but there's always the chance that "Vortex" the third book will deliver something believable.

I am very glad to have read this though. It is a bit better than what I consider an average science fiction read, and there is a lot of stuff in here to think about. I'll be reading the next one before long. ( )
  RBeffa | Apr 1, 2017 |
Robert Charles Wilson's second foray into the "Spin" world is a mixed bag, the concepts and technology are fascinating and unique but the main characters and their relationships are strangely wooden.

Worth reading because once I read one book of a series that I like, I'm a sucker for reading all of them..... ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |

This discussion includes a spoiler about what you need to remember from Spin to read Axis. It also say Vortex is a better book, but you should read Axis before reading Vortex anyway.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |

I really loved Spin, to which this is a sequel; in fact, Spin was the first Hugo winner that I actually voted for. Axis is not as good a book, but it's still a good enough read; a complete change of central characters, pursuing a quest up the back country of an unknown parallel world, with a lot more emotional depth than you usually get in a two-fisted adventure tale. Took me ages to get around to reading it, but I am glad I finally did. ( )
  nwhyte | Nov 29, 2015 |
I read the first novel in this series, Spin, a year or so ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. While it left quite a few questions unanswered, it played out well and logically to it's end and I was looking forward to the next books in the series. Jump forward to just recently when I finally managed to pick up Axis, the next book in the series. This starts not long after Spin ends, but with a mostly new cast of characters. More action, more conflict and more human relational interactions than with Spin, this was an enjoyable read. Still not many more answers were revealed and this added some unresolved questions to the mix. Not as good as Spin, but still worth the time to read. ( )
  harpua | Jun 22, 2014 |

Robert Charles Wilsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Seeley, DaveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sohár AnikóTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It is necessary that things should pass away into that from which they are born. For things must pay one another the penalty and compensation for their injustice according to the ordinance of time. -- Anaximander
Dedicated to the memory of Dr. Albert Goldhar and Ella Beautone (Bootie) Goldhar, and to the family they created and into which they generously accepted me.
In the summer of his twelfth year - the summer the stars began to fall from the sky - the boy Isaac discovered that he could tell East from West with his eyes closed.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765348268, Mass Market Paperback)

Wildly praised by readers and critics alike, Robert Charles Wilson's Spin won science fiction's highest honor, the Hugo Award for Best Novel.

Now, in Axis, Spin's direct sequel, Wilson takes us to the "world next door"—the planet engineered by the mysterious Hypotheticals to support human life, and connected to Earth by way of the Arch that towers hundreds of miles over the Indian Ocean. Humans are colonizing this new world—and, predictably, fiercely exploiting its resources, chiefly large deposits of oil in the western deserts of the continent of Equatoria.

Lise Adams is a young woman attempting to uncover the mystery of her father's disappearance ten years earlier. Turk Findley is an ex-sailor and sometimes-drifter. They come together when an infall of cometary dust seeds the planet with tiny remnant Hypothetical machines. Soon, this seemingly hospitable world will become very alien indeed—as the nature of time is once again twisted, by entities unknown.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:21 -0400)

"Now, in Spin's direct sequel, Wilson takes us to the "world next door" - the planet engineered by the mysterious Hypotheticals to support human life, and connected to Earth by way of the Arch that towers hundreds of miles over the Indian Ocean. Humans are colonizing this new world - and, predictably, fiercely exploiting its resources, chiefly large deposits of oil in the western deserts of the continent of Equatoria." "Use Adams is a young woman attempting to uncover the mystery of her father's disappearance twelve years earlier. Turk Findley is an ex-sailor and drifter. They come together when an infall of cometary dust seeds the planet with tiny remnant Hypothetical machines." "Now Lise, Turk, a Martian woman, and a boy who has been engineered to communicate with the Hypotheticals are drawn to a place in the desert where this seemingly hospitable world has become suddenly very alien indeed - and the nature of time is once again being twisted by entities unknown."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,401,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible