The Regatta Mystery and Other Stories by…
There's a body in a trunk; a dead girl's reflection is caught in a mirror; and one corpse is back from the grave, while another is envisioned in the recurring nightmare of a terrified eccentric. What's behind such ghastly misdeeds? Try money, revenge, passion, and pleasure. With multiple motives, multiple victims, and multiple suspects, it's going to take a multitude of talent to solve these clever crimes. In this inviting collection, Agatha Christie enlists the services of her finest-Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, and Parker Pyne-and puts them each to the test in the most challenging cases of their careers.… (more)

The Regatta Mystery and Other Stories by Agatha Christie is a collection of short stories from her voluminous library of works. All the stories with the exception of one feature her well-known detectives, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple and Parker Pine. The once exception is Through a Glass Darkly which has a slight connotation of the super-natural which seemed fitting for this time of year.

I loved the Miss Marple story, entitled Miss Marple Tells A Story. And although I had read two of the Hercule Poirot stories before, they all had Poirot using his “little grey cells” to his advantage. I had mixed feelings about the Parker Pine stories probably as this was my first introduction to this character and I found him rather obnoxious and as insufferable as Poirot but without the humor and idiosyncrasies that the Belgium detective displays.

While I do prefer Christie’s longer works as it gives her more of chance to twist the stories, sprinkle more red herrings and give us clever endings, these stories were good and I enjoyed reading them. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Sep 21, 2019 |
I read this collection a long time ago, so technically it's a re-read, although it was SO long ago that I'd forgotten most of the stories. This was a collection published in the US separately from the UK, so it recycles stories from other collections. Notably, "The Dream" and "The Mystery of the Bagdad Chest" appear in The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding, which I'd just read eight months ago, so those were more familiar. In addition, "Yellow Iris" was eventually expanded into Remembered Death.

The collection is pretty solid in terms of stories, although there is a lot of cringing to be had regarding the characters' attitudes toward race and class :S Because of this and because many of the stories appear elsewhere, I wouldn't consider it an essential addition to one's collection. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Aug 24, 2019 |
I much prefer full books over short stories, but this collection has a couple of real gems. Even though I had seen PBS adaptations of several, I enjoyed the stories very much. ( )
  Brauer11431 | Apr 16, 2019 |
I usually avoid short stories like the plague. I don’t know why … something about the shortness of short stories always seems to leave me wanting more. I actually only picked this book up because I wanted to read something short to hit my 2017 reading goals.

So, imagine my surprise when I thoroughly enjoyed this collection! Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, and Parker Pyne all make appearances. Far from being disappointing, these quick, punchy stories get right to the mystery and resolution quickly. I enjoyed listening in short spurts as I did chores around the house. It was great to not feel pressured to listen for long periods of time while still having the satisfaction of listening to a complete story.

Read more Agatha Christie reviews on my blog at bigdipperbooks.com ( )
  melissa_faith | Mar 16, 2019 |
I like the short stories, but prefer the longer work.
  taurus27 | Aug 8, 2018 |
The Regatta Mystery:

Mr. Isaac Pointz removed a cigar from his lips and said approvingly: "Pretty little place."
Do not combine with the short story The Regatta Mystery

This was originally published as the short story above, later other stories were added. This is the anthology, not the novella.

The Regatta Mystery; (Mr. Parker Pyne)
The Mystery of the Baghdad Chest (Hercule Poirot);
How Does Your Garden Grow? (Hercule Poirot);
Problem at Pollensa Bay (Mr. Parker Pyne);
Yellow Iris (Hercule Poirot);
Miss Marple Tells a Story (Miss Jane Marple);
The Dream (Hercule Poirot);
In A Glass Darkly;
Problem at Sea (Hercule Poirot)
Wikipedia page
Nine short stories with
three of Agatha Christie's
best-known detectives.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,779,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible