The Regatta Mystery by Agatha Christie

Though I'd read a couple of these stories in a Parker Pyne compilation, I enjoyed them again, as well as the rest. Good quick reads on a rainy day (or any other). ( )
  ReinaMWilliams | Mar 31, 2017 |
A collection of short mysteries that feature Poirot, Miss Marple or Parker Pyne. These involve murders, a stolen diamond, and a woman who wants her son's engagement to an unsuitable woman to be broken.
I like these quick mysteries from Christie. She gets to the point with small lists of suspects and few red herrings. I like knowing that she enjoyed writing mysteries enough to do them at any length, and had such an imagination that the well never ran dry. Some are better than others, but they're all pretty good. ( )
  mstrust | Mar 22, 2017 |
This collection of nine stories, featuring three of her best-known creations, samples Agatha Christie's skill with the short story, with some more, some less successful. On the whole I enjoyed the slightly longer stories more, especially 'The Regatta Mystery' and 'The Mystery of the Bagdad Chest', while I thought the solution in other stories too clever and intricate and thus stretching credulity ('Yellow Iris', 'The Dream' and 'Problem at Sea'); 'A Glass Darkly', a mystery with a touch of the paranormal, I found neither here nor there. In all, this anthology presented a nice little diversion to pass the time when my brain was too tired to cope with a novel, but nothing more.

In particular, the stories are:

The Regatta Mystery: A famous jewel is stolen in what appears to be a locked room mystery. The man who is suspected of the theft contacts Parker Pyne to help clear his name.

The Mystery of the Bagdad Chest: Also known as 'The Mystery of the Spanish Chest', this story tells of a body being discovered in a heavy chest the morning after a party. Hercule Poirot deducts that the murder was committed while the other party guests were dancing and playing cards.

How Does Your Garden Grow?: As the title implies, this story is based on the nursery rhyme 'Mistress Mary, quite contrary, How does your garden grow?' After receiving a mysterious letter asking for his help, Hercule Poirot discovers that the letter writer has died very suddenly.

Problem at Pollensa Bay: While on holiday on Mallorca, Parker Pyne assists with bringing to two young people together.

Yellow Iris: After receiving a mysterious anonymous phone call, Hercule Poirot makes his way to a restaurant where a man is trying to re-enact the murder of his wife on the anniversary of her death.

Miss Marple Tells a Story: Miss Marple reminisces and tells her niece and nephew how she solved an apparent locked room murder at a hotel several years ago.

The Dream: An eccentric millionaire consults Hercule Poirot as he fears he will commit suicide by shooting himself, just as the dream he has every night foretells.

In a Glass Darkly: While staying with friends, a young man appears to see a murder being committed while looking in a mirror, only to find that the scene behind him in the room is completely different.

Problem at Sea: Hercule Poirot solves the murder of a hypochondriac wife on board a cruise ship. ( )
  passion4reading | Mar 19, 2017 |
Originally published in 1939, this collection of short stories shows the depth and skill required to create a successful short story. Christie deftly creates characters by a simple description of hair color or expression on a face, and the mysteries are not all about murder. Perhaps my favorite is Problem at Pollensa Bay wherein Mr. Parker Pyne uses psychology to achieve a desired end. The real brilliance of the story is that you think you’ve got it figured out and yet at the end you realize that there is another layer. The outcome hasn’t changed, yet you smile at the cleverness.

I’m not usually much of a short story fan. However, short stories about some of my favorite characters by one of my favorite authors makes for a good experience. ( )
  karenmarie | Jan 14, 2017 |
This was a collection of short stories starring various Christie detectives. Some of the stories were better than others, which is usual for an anthology. I do find it humorous that both my favorite and least favorite stories starred the same detective, Parker Pyne. My favorite story was the title story, "The Regatta Mystery". It was my first introduction to Parker Pyne and I liked his style. Very similar to Hercule Poirot, my favorite Christie detective. I did not like "Problem at Pollensa Bay" also starring Parker Pyne. I thought the resolution of the problem was ridiculous. The other stories were a decent mixture of Agatha Christie's style. ( )
  jguidry | Nov 8, 2016 |
The Regatta Mystery:

Mr. Isaac Pointz removed a cigar from his lips and said approvingly: "Pretty little place."
Do not combine with the short story The Regatta Mystery

This was originally published as the short story above, later other stories were added. This is the anthology, not the novella.

The Regatta Mystery; (Mr. Parker Pyne)
The Mystery of the Baghdad Chest (Hercule Poirot);
How Does Your Garden Grow? (Hercule Poirot);
Problem at Pollensa Bay (Mr. Parker Pyne);
Yellow Iris (Hercule Poirot);
Miss Marple Tells a Story (Miss Jane Marple);
The Dream (Hercule Poirot);
In A Glass Darkly;
Problem at Sea (Hercule Poirot)
Wikipedia page
Nine short stories with
three of Agatha Christie's
best-known detectives.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425100413, Mass Market Paperback)

A collection of classic stories featuring multiple victims, multiple mysteries, multiple suspects, and a multitude of talent to solve it all: Hercule Poirot, Miss Jane Marple, and Mr. Parker Pyne.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:42 -0400)

A collection of stories by the mystery master features Christie's most famous detectives solving challenging cases with an interesting array of suspects.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,474,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible