The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark…

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1884)

by Mark Twain

Series: Tom Sawyer (2)

31,73444444 (3.91)1 / 1203
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (becca58203, kxlly)
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Searching For Jim: Slavery In Sam Clemens's World (Mark Twain and His Circle) by Terrell Dempsey (pechmerle)
    pechmerle: Tremendously enlightening study of the N.E. Missouri social context from which Twain developed the character of Jim.
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (caflores)
    The Life of Lazarillo de Tormes by Anonymous (caflores)
    Kim by Rudyard Kipling (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Orphaned kid with plenty of street-smarts embarks on a dangerous journey interwoven with high-stakes matters from the adult world (Slavery/Russo-British Espionage).
    Flash for Freedom! by George MacDonald Fraser (ehines)
    Memed, My Hawk by Yaşar Kemal (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (caflores, CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Disillusioned youth takes off. A liar himself, he despises frauds.
    Nigger: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word by Randall Kennedy (bertilak)
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (ateolf)
Satire (7)
Read (26)
Rivers (1)

English (426)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (443)
I love this book. There is so much nuance. The people who want to ban it are the people that Twain is mocking. The change in the peripheral characters' attitudes at the end is hysterical and stunning. Twain exaggerates their language to wonderful effect. Huck's change in attitude comes in fits and starts, but it sticks.

Huck and Jim are two of the best characters in American lit. Huck for his plain honesty (and unreliable narration) and good character. Jim for his undying kindness and good heart, despite his awful circumstance. My heart broke for both of them, which is exactly what Twain intended.

I loved seeing Tom Sawyer again, but I was a bit put off by the deus ex machina of the unlikely long distance coincidence, but it amused me. I was willing to go with it because there had to be a conclusion and resolution to the book somehow.

Plus, it was fun seeing how Huck interpreted Jim's reaction to Tom's increasingly ridiculous suggestions for the rescue plan. Jim knew he could do it alone, but tolerated the boys because he needed them and cared about them. Twain was a master of language. What is seen through Huck's eyes as childish and stupid language, can also be seen as a tolerant adult knowing they have little choice but to play along.

Jim's language is very different around the Duke and the King. He speaks little and is always guarded in what he says. He's not childish or stupid.

The conversation that details Sister Hotchkiss and a number of the townfolk is brilliant. I love the way that Twain captures dialects uses them as character descriptions.

The book ends when Huck says it ends. I want to know so much more. I know there are follow up books with Sawyer, so I intend to read them. And on goes my summer of Twain. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Many rate Huckleberry Finn better than Tom Sawyer better but I like the latter better. Huckleberry Finn can be rambling at times, taking too much time on particular episodes, for example, the rescue of Jim, which became tiresome. What is touching about the story is the relationship between Finn and Jim i.e. the genuine kindness they show towards each other regardless of race. ( )
  siok | Mar 9, 2019 |
matters appear hysterical on goodreads these days. Ripples of concern often appear daunting to the literate, cushioned by their e-devices and their caffienated trips to dusty book stores; why, the first appearence of crossed words often sounds like the goddamn apocalypse. Well, it can anyway. I find people are taking all of this way too seriously.

I had a rough day at work. It is again hot as hell outside and I just wanted to come home and listen to chamber music and read Gaddis until my wife comes home. Seldom are matters that simple. It is within these instances of discord that I think about Pnin. I love him and the maestro's creation depicting such. I situate the novel along with Mary and The Gift in my personal sweet cell of Nabokov, insulated well away from Lolita and Ada, perhaps drawing strength from Vladimir's book on Gogol, though certainly not his letters with Bunny Wilson. It is rare that I can think about Pnin washing dishes and not tear up. I suppose I'll survive this day as well. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Huck Finn: The Manga Edition will be a hit with both manga readers and in the classroom. A four-page essay at the beginning ties the novel and manga together; the rest of the book is taken up with the manga novel itself. So, there should be strong carryover between those people who are manga readers and those teachers/students who want a new and unique way to read the plays.
Our Huck Finn manga is true to the original context of the play--we don't take Huck, Jim, and the rest of the characters and set them in a setting/time that's not relevant to Twain's original and intended time/setting. Also, we don't shy away frm the controversial language that you find in Twain's original work. You could say that ours is "true" to the novel.
  JESGalway | Feb 12, 2019 |
A great book of adventures but: The slavery issue was tainted by the times. This book is a window to the attitudes and sick humanity of its place and time. While Jim, the African American hero, fares very well and the ending is a relief, I can't help feeling shame and disgust at the prevailing philosophy of all of the other characters. It is a clever story with lots of chilling adventure. The seduction of greed and the plays on ignorance are plenty and this gives it a redemptive value. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
Mark Twain may be called the Edison of our literature. There is no limit to his inventive genius, and the best proof of its range and originality is found in this book, in which the reader's interest is so strongly enlisted in the fortunes of two boys and a runaway negro that he follows their adventures with keen curiosity, although his common sense tells him that the incidents are as absurd and fantastic in many ways as the "Arabian Nights."

Twain, Markprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

You don't know about me without you have read a book by the name of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer; but that ain't no matter.

This is the story of a boy and an escaped slave as they travel down the Mississippi River. it's a story of friendship and family and home.
Audible is pleased to announce the premiere of an exciting new series, Audible Signature Classics, featuring literature’s greatest stories, performed by accomplished stars handpicked for their ability to interpret each work in a new and refreshing way. The first book in the series is Mark Twain’s Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, performed by Elijah Wood.

Ernest Hemingway said, “All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn". One hundred years after its author’s death, this classic remains remarkably modern and poignantly relevant. In this brand new edition, Elijah Wood reads Huck in a youthful voice that may be the closest interpretation to Twain’s original intent. His performance captures the excitement and confusion of adolescence and adventure. Best of all, the immediacy of Wood’s energetic reading sweeps listeners up and makes them feel as though they’re along for the ride, as Huck and Jim push their raft toward freedom.
Run away from home
Lazy Summer down river
Ignorance ain’t bliss

(readafew)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553210793, Mass Market Paperback)

A seminal work of American Literature that still commands deep praise and still elicits controversy, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is essential to the understanding of the American soul. The recent discovery of the first half of Twain's manuscript, long thought lost, made front-page news. And this unprecedented edition, which contains for the first time omitted episodes and other variations present in the first half of the handwritten manuscript, as well as facsimile reproductions of thirty manuscript pages, is indispensable to a full understanding of the novel. The changes, deletions, and additions made in the first half of the manuscript indicate that Mark Twain frequently checked his impulse to write an even darker, more confrontational book than the one he finally published.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:26 -0400)

A feisty young boy fakes his own death to escape his abusive father and heads off down the Mississippi River with his newfound friend Jim, a runaway slave.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

9 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439645, 0142437174, 0141023619, 0141321091, 0451530942, 0141045183, 0143105949, 0141334843, 0141199008

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175854, 1909175862

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,065,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible