The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark…

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1884)

by Mark Twain

Series: Tom Sawyer (2)

28,30540634 (3.91)1 / 1111
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (becca58203, kxlly)
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Searching For Jim: Slavery In Sam Clemens's World (Mark Twain and His Circle) by Terrell Dempsey (pechmerle)
    pechmerle: Tremendously enlightening study of the N.E. Missouri social context from which Twain developed the character of Jim.
    The Life of Lazarillo de Tormes by Anonymous (caflores)
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (caflores)
    Kim by Rudyard Kipling (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Orphaned kid with plenty of street-smarts embarks on a dangerous journey interwoven with high-stakes matters from the adult world (Slavery/Russo-British Espionage).
    Flash for Freedom! by George MacDonald Fraser (ehines)
    Memed, My Hawk by Yashar Kemal (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (caflores, CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Disillusioned youth takes off. A liar himself, he despises frauds.
    Nigger: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word by Randall Kennedy (bertilak)
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (ateolf)
Read (26)
Unread books (1,018)

English (393)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  All (405)
I think I basically want to exterminate Tom Sawyer. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
#2 of the Rory Gilmore Challenge

So I'm going to go ahead and give this 3 stars because by the last 10 chapters I was pretty ready to be finished with it. I found myself intrigued by the plot by the middle of the book but found it hard to read for long periods. By the time I read 2 chapters I was kind of ready to move on to something else or fell asleep causing my long period in reading.

I didn't read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer first, although it was referenced pretty highly in the first 5 chapters or so. If my TBR stack and library stack weren't so tall I'd have considered it. However, when Tom Sawyer appears in the last chapters of the book I'm really grateful I didn't go back. Did anyone else think Tom Sawyer was the MOST ANNOYING character in this book?

Being a kid of the 80s I remember the Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Brad Renfro and Elijah Wood renditions of Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer that came out all within a few years of each other. So, I was interested in reading the first published stories to see what I remembered and what was actually in the book.

I read the Penguins Classics version that had additional notes for background on Twain's writing. I quite liked the intro that talked about Twain's reading history that helped influence pieces of the story.

The plot - I liked the plot, except the end with Tom Sawyer. I had no idea it was so gory at parts, but I guess I always read the editions for kids. The King and Duke were quick-paced which I appreciated once I got there. Some of the small river plots were interesting but seemed somewhat far fetched for a novel so acclaimed for giving insight in the Mississippi culture of the 1800s. I definitely want to go back and read Twain's "Life on the Mississippi" novel now while taking a month-long trip (you know, as soon as I save $8000 to do so).

The characters - Jim was quite simple and I thought Mark Twain may be more interested in developing the ties of slavery through his character rather than the plot. Huck Finn's morale tests and self-talk were amusing, wish there had been a bit more. Maybe I'm a character-driven reader these days?

All-in-all as a historical piece I enjoyed the context of the Mississippi River and the almost short story excerpts of river life. However, the novel dragged a bit for me to really enjoy it more and seemed to be a bit all over the place with Twain's style. ( )
  missbrandysue | Mar 27, 2017 |
This book would need to be used for an older class like 5th grade and up. The content and language in this book is pretty mature and would need to be saved for an advanced class or group of students. This would be a good book to teach about symbolism. This would be good for a literature circle book for students to read in a small group and discuss the symbols they noticed throughout the novel. It would also be a good book for students to discuss conflict and solution as well. There's a very clear problem and the students could discuss possible solutions and then discuss the actual solution when they arrive at that part of the book. It would be important that the teacher reminds the students of the intense language and different dialect that is in the book. Some of language might need to be explained to ensure that they understand the severity of the words.
  LizaTibbs | Mar 14, 2017 |
There is a reason that many individuals consider this to be one of the greatest American novels. This novel portrays the tumultuous times that were occurring in American after the Civil War. The usage of linguistics is brilliant, and the portrayal of segregation, as well as the adventuresome story plot(very much like Homer's Odyssey) makes it an exciting read. This work would go well with other pieces fitting the same tags and themes of segregation, for instance, To Kill a Mockingbird ( )
  alexishartline | Feb 5, 2017 |
I don't think I've read this book since college, and I'd forgotten what fun it is. Twain was a genius of language, and I laughed out loud frequently while I was reading it at Huck's malapropisms. I also thought the critique of slavery and of American individualism and capitalism were all still timely and powerful. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |

Mark Twain may be called the Edison of our literature. There is no limit to his inventive genius, and the best proof of its range and originality is found in this book, in which the reader's interest is so strongly enlisted in the fortunes of two boys and a runaway negro that he follows their adventures with keen curiosity, although his common sense tells him that the incidents are as absurd and fantastic in many ways as the "Arabian Nights."

Mark Twainprimary authorall editionscalculated

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Notice: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. By Order of the Author per G. G., Chief of Ordnance
You don't know about me, without you have read a book by the name of "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer," but that ain't no matter.
"All right, then, I'll go to hell"- and tore it up.
This is the original work. Please do not combine with other adaptations, abridgements, study guides, or volumes that contain the original work PLUS critical essays or study guides.

This is the story of a boy and an escaped slave as they travel down the Mississippi River. it's a story of friendship and family and home.
Audible is pleased to announce the premiere of an exciting new series, Audible Signature Classics, featuring literature’s greatest stories, performed by accomplished stars handpicked for their ability to interpret each work in a new and refreshing way. The first book in the series is Mark Twain’s Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, performed by Elijah Wood.

Ernest Hemingway said, “All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn". One hundred years after its author’s death, this classic remains remarkably modern and poignantly relevant. In this brand new edition, Elijah Wood reads Huck in a youthful voice that may be the closest interpretation to Twain’s original intent. His performance captures the excitement and confusion of adolescence and adventure. Best of all, the immediacy of Wood’s energetic reading sweeps listeners up and makes them feel as though they’re along for the ride, as Huck and Jim push their raft toward freedom.
Run away from home
Lazy Summer down river
Ignorance ain’t bliss

(readafew)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553210793, Mass Market Paperback)

A seminal work of American Literature that still commands deep praise and still elicits controversy, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is essential to the understanding of the American soul. The recent discovery of the first half of Twain's manuscript, long thought lost, made front-page news. And this unprecedented edition, which contains for the first time omitted episodes and other variations present in the first half of the handwritten manuscript, as well as facsimile reproductions of thirty manuscript pages, is indispensable to a full understanding of the novel. The changes, deletions, and additions made in the first half of the manuscript indicate that Mark Twain frequently checked his impulse to write an even darker, more confrontational book than the one he finally published.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:26 -0400)

A feisty young boy fakes his own death to escape his abusive father and heads off down the Mississippi River with his newfound friend Jim, a runaway slave.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

5 2068

9 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439645, 0142437174, 0141023619, 0141321091, 0451530942, 0141045183, 0143105949, 0141334843, 0141199008

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175854, 1909175862

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,796,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible