The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Tom…

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Tom Sawyer;s Comrade) (The Complete… (original 1884; edition 1960)

by Mark Twain

26,26737142 (3.91)1 / 874
Member:tututhefirst
Title:The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Tom Sawyer;s Comrade) (The Complete Novels of Mark Twain)
Authors:Mark Twain
Info:Nelson Doubleday, Inc. (1960), Hardcover, 279 pages
Collections:Classics
Tags:classics, fiction, Mark Twain

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1884)

Read (25)
Unread books (1,061)

English (357)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (370)
I read this in either junior high or high school, but I barely paid attention to it and I want to read it again as an adult.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a tough classic to rate. The story is written entirely from Huck’s point of view, which I loved. He speaks to his reader no differently than if I were in the presence of a friend, listening to a telling. Mark Twain has the language of the time and class perfectly on spot.

The trouble that I had was that as an adult reader who was reading it in its entirety, it became boringly repetitive at times. It is a story more suitable to reading by the chapter to a young child, but… There is a problem with that as well. The book is not appropriate for a young person either, since the lines of prejudice may be overwhelming with the use of the “N-word” on a regular basis. Now, I am not complaining about that. Taking into account of when the book was written and the time period of the story, it is historically correct. I don’t think that we can pretend that history didn’t happen if we are to learn anything from it. It’s just that I don’t know where this book fits in for today’s reader, which makes it unusual in of itself. ( )
  StephLaymon | Feb 3, 2016 |
I'm glad I finally got a chance to read this book. I liked it a lot better than Tom Sawyer. I might feel differently after I've written a 14-page research paper on it, though. . . . ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 3, 2016 |
The boy nobody wants finds courage and destiny. An adventure. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 22, 2016 |
Good read. I think a more mature read than Tom Sawyer. ( )
  AmieB7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
Mark Twain may be called the Edison of our literature. There is no limit to his inventive genius, and the best proof of its range and originality is found in this book, in which the reader's interest is so strongly enlisted in the fortunes of two boys and a runaway negro that he follows their adventures with keen curiosity, although his common sense tells him that the incidents are as absurd and fantastic in many ways as the "Arabian Nights."

Mark Twainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Notice: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. By Order of the Author per G. G., Chief of Ordnance
You don't know about me, without you have read a book by the name of "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer," but that ain't no matter.
"All right, then, I'll go to hell"- and tore it up.
This is the original work. Please do not combine with other adaptations, abridgements, study guides, or volumes that contain the original work PLUS critical essays or study guides.
This is the story of a boy and an escaped slave as they travel down the Mississippi River. it's a story of friendship and family and home.

This book was the perfect adventure book for me when I was younger. I always wanted to pretend I was floating off on some great journey, but I was always happy to come home.
Run away from home
Lazy Summer down river
Ignorance ain’t bliss

(readafew)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553210793, Mass Market Paperback)

A seminal work of American Literature that still commands deep praise and still elicits controversy, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is essential to the understanding of the American soul. The recent discovery of the first half of Twain's manuscript, long thought lost, made front-page news. And this unprecedented edition, which contains for the first time omitted episodes and other variations present in the first half of the handwritten manuscript, as well as facsimile reproductions of thirty manuscript pages, is indispensable to a full understanding of the novel. The changes, deletions, and additions made in the first half of the manuscript indicate that Mark Twain frequently checked his impulse to write an even darker, more confrontational book than the one he finally published.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:26 -0400)

A feisty young boy fakes his own death to escape his abusive father and heads off down the Mississippi River with his newfound friend Jim, a runaway slave.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

4 1998
5 1963

10 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140424385, 0141439645, 0142437174, 0141023619, 0141321091, 0451530942, 0141045183, 0143105949, 0141334843, 0141199008

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,202,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible