The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Tom…

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Tom Sawyer;s Comrade) (The Complete… (original 1884; edition 1960)

by Mark Twain

25,78436144 (3.91)1 / 854
Title:The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Tom Sawyer;s Comrade) (The Complete Novels of Mark Twain)
Authors:Mark Twain
Info:Nelson Doubleday, Inc. (1960), Hardcover, 279 pages
Tags:classics, fiction, Mark Twain

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1884)

Read (25)

English (347)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (360)
I really enjoyed reading the classic novel "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain. This book uses language that is depicting the people of the South in the 1800's as well as the American ways of living during this time. Language such as the word "nigger" is used, which takes the book to a whole level of controversy on topics like racism and slavery. The language is written as a pattern in that it displays how many southern people spoke in this time period. The writing is engaging at times, but it is also sometimes short and choppy style. The parts where the characters speak show the writing is not long and paced well. The characters are very well created. They describe the people that could be found in this time period. Huck Finn is a young and naive white boy who is running away from his father, while Jim is a runaway slave looking for a free state to run to. These characters are ones that could be imagined by the reader if he or she lived during that time. The plot of the story is very drawn out and seemed to be slow at some parts. Once Huck Finn meets Jim, I think that the plot starts to pick up at a faster pace and becomes more engaging to the reader. The book pushes readers to consider a time where the way of life was much different than it is today. The racism and slavery topics were much more intense at this time, back when slavery was still a problem in our country. The reader is forced to imagine how life must have been as both a southern white boy, and a black runaway slave. The book is very well thought out in the area of challenging perspectives of the reader. The main idea of the book is the conflict between a life of freedom and idealistic way of living, and the actual and more practical living situations of people in society. ( )
  kaylastoots | Nov 7, 2015 |
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a book about Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn go on this great adventure to all kinds of places and encounter several scary situations.
Personal Reaction
I personally love this book and will always be a fun of Huckleberry Finn. They are adventurous and love to be out on their own. This is a great book to get lost into on rainy day.
Classroom Extensions
• I would ask my class to think about a great adventure that they would go on if they were Huckleberry Finn and where might it lead them to
• I would ask my class to build their own raft that Huckleberry Finn and Tom used in their adventures out of Popsicle sticks and other materials.
  jessica_vickery | Oct 28, 2015 |
Summary of Book:
This book is about a boy who gets kidnapped by his father who is a drunk. The boy gets beaten by his father, but manages to escape by faking his very own death. He hangs out on the river for a few days and then meets Jim a slave who has run away from his owner. The two set off along the river in search for freedom and adventure, but there is a lot of twists and turns along the way.

Personal Reaction:
I read this book in high school. I was not a fan of the book at first, but when I actually got through the beginning of the book I feel in love with the storyline.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Have the students write out what their own adventures might be if they were in Huck and Jim’s shoes.
2. Have the students make a poster of the adventures Jim and Huck had.
  c_shaffer | Oct 27, 2015 |
Did this for my American Dream project..and I really love how it made
my citations easier..I just thought Finn's written speeches represents
the American Dream well.. ( )
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Lots of humor. The travels of Huck Finn and the free slave, Jim down the Mississippi River and they hook up with Tom Sawyer at his aunts and uncles house. ( )
  terrygraap | Jul 29, 2015 |
Mark Twain may be called the Edison of our literature. There is no limit to his inventive genius, and the best proof of its range and originality is found in this book, in which the reader's interest is so strongly enlisted in the fortunes of two boys and a runaway negro that he follows their adventures with keen curiosity, although his common sense tells him that the incidents are as absurd and fantastic in many ways as the "Arabian Nights."

Mark Twainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Notice: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. By Order of the Author per G. G., Chief of Ordnance
You don't know about me, without you have read a book by the name of "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer," but that ain't no matter.
"All right, then, I'll go to hell"- and tore it up.
This is the original work. Please do not combine with other adaptations, abridgements, study guides, or volumes that contain the original work PLUS critical essays or study guides.
This is the story of a boy and an escaped slave as they travel down the Mississippi River. it's a story of friendship and family and home.

This book was the perfect adventure book for me when I was younger. I always wanted to pretend I was floating off on some great journey, but I was always happy to come home.
Run away from home
Lazy Summer down river
Ignorance ain’t bliss

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553210793, Mass Market Paperback)

A seminal work of American Literature that still commands deep praise and still elicits controversy, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is essential to the understanding of the American soul. The recent discovery of the first half of Twain's manuscript, long thought lost, made front-page news. And this unprecedented edition, which contains for the first time omitted episodes and other variations present in the first half of the handwritten manuscript, as well as facsimile reproductions of thirty manuscript pages, is indispensable to a full understanding of the novel. The changes, deletions, and additions made in the first half of the manuscript indicate that Mark Twain frequently checked his impulse to write an even darker, more confrontational book than the one he finally published.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:26 -0400)

A feisty young boy fakes his own death to escape his abusive father and heads off down the Mississippi River with his newfound friend Jim, a runaway slave.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

4 1962
5 1914

10 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140424385, 0141439645, 0142437174, 0141023619, 0141321091, 0451530942, 0141045183, 0143105949, 0141334843, 0141199008

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible