The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Tom…

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Tom Sawyer;s Comrade) (The Complete… (original 1884; edition 1960)

by Mark Twain

25,44235744 (3.92)1 / 842
Member:tututhefirst
Title:The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Tom Sawyer;s Comrade) (The Complete Novels of Mark Twain)
Authors:Mark Twain
Info:Nelson Doubleday, Inc. (1960), Hardcover, 279 pages
Collections:Classics
Tags:classics, fiction, Mark Twain

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1884)

Read (25)
Unread books (1,106)

English (343)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (356)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Lots of humor. The travels of Huck Finn and the free slave, Jim down the Mississippi River and they hook up with Tom Sawyer at his aunts and uncles house. ( )
  terrygraap | Jul 29, 2015 |
Interesting, but not exactly riveting. I had to take it in short bursts, because it was very episodic (IMO). ( )
  benuathanasia | Jul 15, 2015 |
In short what happens in Huckleberry Finn is. He was a little boy and like many other little boys who like to swim, fish, hunt, and of course cause mayhem, he did not want to live a normal life of school and a trade. His guardian didn't like that, instead she wanted him to be respectful, and church driven. Eventually Huckleberry's father comes back and kidnaps him but Huckleberry didn't want to be with his father either. He makes a plan to run away and the adventures continue from there.

Personal: I liked this book a lot. I gained a lot of insight actually. This book is great, eve though this didn't really happen. I think children should read this book at a younger age because by high school they already know this and some have even experienced this. Children know things and are curious at younger ages now so why not expose it to them earlier

Extension: After the book is read to the group of children have them draw and adventure that Huckleberry had.
  M_Graham | Jul 7, 2015 |
[From Books and You, Doubleday, Doran & Co., 1940, pp. 99-101:]

It would be difficult in any case, and impossible in the space allowed to me, to say exactly what I mean by the American tang: it is in literature that characteristic which differentiates a work from any that could possibly have been written in another country and so marks it as the unmistakable product of its environment; but I can point to a very good instance of it. You have it conspicuously in Mark Twain, and he gives it you in all its richness and savour in Huckleberry Finn. This book stands head and shoulders above the rest of his work. It is an authentic masterpiece. At one time Mark Twain was somewhat patronized because he was a humorist, and the pundits are apt to look askance at contemporary humour; but his death has reassured them and now he is, I think, universally accepted as one of the greatest of American authors. I need in consequence say little about him. I would only point out one circumstance. When Mark Twain tried to write in a literary manner he produced (as in Life on the Mississippi) but indifferent journalese; but in Huckleberry Finn he had the happy idea of writing in the person of his immortal hero and so produced a model of the vernacular style which, I conjecture, has proved a valuable stimulus to some of the best and most characteristic writers of the present day. He showed them that a living manner of writing is not to be sought in the seventeenth- and eighteenth-century writers of England, but in the current speech of their own people. It would be foolish to suppose that the language in which Huck Finn expresses himself is what painters call representational; no illiterate small boy could have conceived such neat phrases or made such an apt choice of epithets. Perhaps because he thought it beneath the dignity of literature to write thus colloquially in the first person, Mark Twain, using a literary artifice which we gladly accept, made [us] believe that these were the actual utterances of his little hero; and in so doing he freed the American style from the shackles that had so long bound it.

Huckleberry Finn, with its amazing variety and invention, its gusto and life, is in the tradition of that great and celebrated variety of fiction, the picaresque novel; and it holds its place bravely with the two greatest examples of the genre, Gil Blas and Tom Jones; in fact, if Mark Twain had not had the unfortunate notion of bringing in that boring little muttonhead Tom Sawyer to ruin the last few chapters, it would have been faultless.
1 vote WSMaugham | Jun 22, 2015 |
I like the lessons in Huck Fin as well as in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. A book that is a staple in anyone's Classics' collection. ( )
  NoLabelsUnleashed | May 22, 2015 |
Mark Twain may be called the Edison of our literature. There is no limit to his inventive genius, and the best proof of its range and originality is found in this book, in which the reader's interest is so strongly enlisted in the fortunes of two boys and a runaway negro that he follows their adventures with keen curiosity, although his common sense tells him that the incidents are as absurd and fantastic in many ways as the "Arabian Nights."

Mark Twainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Notice: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. By Order of the Author per G. G., Chief of Ordnance
You don't know about me, without you have read a book by the name of "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer," but that ain't no matter.
"All right, then, I'll go to hell"- and tore it up.
This is the original work. Please do not combine with other adaptations, abridgements, study guides, or volumes that contain the original work PLUS critical essays or study guides.
This is the story of a boy and an escaped slave as they travel down the Mississippi River. it's a story of friendship and family and home.

This book was the perfect adventure book for me when I was younger. I always wanted to pretend I was floating off on some great journey, but I was always happy to come home.
Run away from home
Lazy Summer down river
Ignorance ain’t bliss

(readafew)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553210793, Mass Market Paperback)

A seminal work of American Literature that still commands deep praise and still elicits controversy, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is essential to the understanding of the American soul. The recent discovery of the first half of Twain's manuscript, long thought lost, made front-page news. And this unprecedented edition, which contains for the first time omitted episodes and other variations present in the first half of the handwritten manuscript, as well as facsimile reproductions of thirty manuscript pages, is indispensable to a full understanding of the novel. The changes, deletions, and additions made in the first half of the manuscript indicate that Mark Twain frequently checked his impulse to write an even darker, more confrontational book than the one he finally published.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:26 -0400)

A feisty young boy fakes his own death to escape his abusive father and heads off down the Mississippi River with his newfound friend Jim, a runaway slave.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

4 1938

10 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140424385, 0141439645, 0142437174, 0141023619, 0141321091, 0451530942, 0141045183, 0143105949, 0141334843, 0141199008

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,069,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible