Die Abenteuer des Huckleberry Finn by Mark…

Die Abenteuer des Huckleberry Finn (original 1884; edition 2007)

by Mark Twain, Samuel Clemens, Barbara Cramer-Nauhaus (Übersetzer)

31,58944343 (3.91)1 / 1201
Member:Rigour
Title:Die Abenteuer des Huckleberry Finn
Authors:Mark Twain
Other authors:Samuel Clemens, Barbara Cramer-Nauhaus (Übersetzer)
Info:Anaconda (2007), Gebundene Ausgabe, 464 pages

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1884)

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (becca58203, kxlly)
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Searching For Jim: Slavery In Sam Clemens's World (Mark Twain and His Circle) by Terrell Dempsey (pechmerle)
    pechmerle: Tremendously enlightening study of the N.E. Missouri social context from which Twain developed the character of Jim.
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (caflores)
    The Life of Lazarillo de Tormes by Anonymous (caflores)
    Kim by Rudyard Kipling (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Orphaned kid with plenty of street-smarts embarks on a dangerous journey interwoven with high-stakes matters from the adult world (Slavery/Russo-British Espionage).
    Flash for Freedom! by George MacDonald Fraser (ehines)
    Memed, My Hawk by Kemal Yasar (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (caflores, CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Disillusioned youth takes off. A liar himself, he despises frauds.
    Nigger: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word by Randall Kennedy (bertilak)
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (ateolf)
Satire (7)
Read (26)
Rivers (1)

English (425)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (442)
Many rate Huckleberry Finn better than Tom Sawyer better but I like the latter better. Huckleberry Finn can be rambling at times, taking too much time on particular episodes, for example, the rescue of Jim, which became tiresome. What is touching about the story is the relationship between Finn and Jim i.e. the genuine kindness they show towards each other regardless of race. ( )
  siok | Mar 9, 2019 |
matters appear hysterical on goodreads these days. Ripples of concern often appear daunting to the literate, cushioned by their e-devices and their caffienated trips to dusty book stores; why, the first appearence of crossed words often sounds like the goddamn apocalypse. Well, it can anyway. I find people are taking all of this way too seriously.

I had a rough day at work. It is again hot as hell outside and I just wanted to come home and listen to chamber music and read Gaddis until my wife comes home. Seldom are matters that simple. It is within these instances of discord that I think about Pnin. I love him and the maestro's creation depicting such. I situate the novel along with Mary and The Gift in my personal sweet cell of Nabokov, insulated well away from Lolita and Ada, perhaps drawing strength from Vladimir's book on Gogol, though certainly not his letters with Bunny Wilson. It is rare that I can think about Pnin washing dishes and not tear up. I suppose I'll survive this day as well. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Huck Finn: The Manga Edition will be a hit with both manga readers and in the classroom. A four-page essay at the beginning ties the novel and manga together; the rest of the book is taken up with the manga novel itself. So, there should be strong carryover between those people who are manga readers and those teachers/students who want a new and unique way to read the plays.
Our Huck Finn manga is true to the original context of the play--we don't take Huck, Jim, and the rest of the characters and set them in a setting/time that's not relevant to Twain's original and intended time/setting. Also, we don't shy away frm the controversial language that you find in Twain's original work. You could say that ours is "true" to the novel.
  JESGalway | Feb 12, 2019 |
A great book of adventures but: The slavery issue was tainted by the times. This book is a window to the attitudes and sick humanity of its place and time. While Jim, the African American hero, fares very well and the ending is a relief, I can't help feeling shame and disgust at the prevailing philosophy of all of the other characters. It is a clever story with lots of chilling adventure. The seduction of greed and the plays on ignorance are plenty and this gives it a redemptive value. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
In Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Huck escapes from his abusive father and, in the process of escaping, runs across Jim, a slave who has begun an escape of his own. Together they sail down the Mississippi river on a raft and have various adventures. This is an over-simplification, but that’s the basic story.

The book has a lot of humor in various forms, from humorous situations to sarcasm and misused words. I think some of the misused words were what got the biggest laughs out of me. The story is narrated by Huck and I enjoyed his way of expressing himself. Everything is written in the dialect of the various characters, which might be of some challenge for people for whom English is not their first language. Not only are half the words spelled "wrong", but the book was written in the 1800's so there are some archaic and unfamiliar word choices. Even I occasionally had to pause and think about a few of the words, but for the most part I found it easy to follow and my edition had annotations that usually explained the more obscure words.

I enjoyed the general story, and there were some aspects of it I especially liked, but there were also times when I felt like a joke or storyline was carried on for too long and I wanted the characters to just be done with it already. Because of that, I’m going to rate this at 3.5 stars but round up to 4 on Goodreads based on the things I really did like.

A few spoilerish comments:
I enjoyed seeing Huck wrestle with his conscience over helping Jim escape. Everything he had ever been told led him to believe he was being irredeemably wicked by helping a slave escape, but he ultimately decided, with sincerity and fear, that he would resign himself to going to hell rather than turn Jim in. That was my favorite part of the book.

The stories centering on the scams of the “Duke” and the “King” were funny, but I started to get a little tired of them before the author was done with them. However, the most frustrating part of the story to me was Tom Sawyer’s convoluted plans for helping Jim escape after he’d been captured. At first it was funny, but it got more and more ridiculous and I just wanted them to get on with the rescue. I was annoyed that they were risking Jim’s freedom just for the sake of making a good story out of the rescue. The reactions of the people who saw some of the things left behind after Jim escaped were pretty funny though. :)

It also seemed a little too convenient, and not terribly believable, when it turned out Jim had been freed by his previous owner who hadn’t seemed like a very empathetic person to begin with. I had also hoped for some indication at the end as to what Jim intended to do about his wife and kids.
1 vote YouKneeK | Jan 17, 2019 |
Mark Twain may be called the Edison of our literature. There is no limit to his inventive genius, and the best proof of its range and originality is found in this book, in which the reader's interest is so strongly enlisted in the fortunes of two boys and a runaway negro that he follows their adventures with keen curiosity, although his common sense tells him that the incidents are as absurd and fantastic in many ways as the "Arabian Nights."

Twain, Markprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

You don't know about me without you have read a book by the name of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer; but that ain't no matter.

This is the story of a boy and an escaped slave as they travel down the Mississippi River. it's a story of friendship and family and home.
Audible is pleased to announce the premiere of an exciting new series, Audible Signature Classics, featuring literature’s greatest stories, performed by accomplished stars handpicked for their ability to interpret each work in a new and refreshing way. The first book in the series is Mark Twain’s Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, performed by Elijah Wood.

Ernest Hemingway said, “All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn". One hundred years after its author’s death, this classic remains remarkably modern and poignantly relevant. In this brand new edition, Elijah Wood reads Huck in a youthful voice that may be the closest interpretation to Twain’s original intent. His performance captures the excitement and confusion of adolescence and adventure. Best of all, the immediacy of Wood’s energetic reading sweeps listeners up and makes them feel as though they’re along for the ride, as Huck and Jim push their raft toward freedom.
Run away from home
Lazy Summer down river
Ignorance ain’t bliss

(readafew)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553210793, Mass Market Paperback)

A seminal work of American Literature that still commands deep praise and still elicits controversy, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is essential to the understanding of the American soul. The recent discovery of the first half of Twain's manuscript, long thought lost, made front-page news. And this unprecedented edition, which contains for the first time omitted episodes and other variations present in the first half of the handwritten manuscript, as well as facsimile reproductions of thirty manuscript pages, is indispensable to a full understanding of the novel. The changes, deletions, and additions made in the first half of the manuscript indicate that Mark Twain frequently checked his impulse to write an even darker, more confrontational book than the one he finally published.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:26 -0400)

A feisty young boy fakes his own death to escape his abusive father and heads off down the Mississippi River with his newfound friend Jim, a runaway slave.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

9 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439645, 0142437174, 0141023619, 0141321091, 0451530942, 0141045183, 0143105949, 0141334843, 0141199008

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175854, 1909175862

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,338,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible