Las aventuras de Huckleberry Finn by MARK…

Las aventuras de Huckleberry Finn (original 1884; edition 2011)

by MARK TWAIN

26,92538437 (3.91)1 / 956
Member:Negro.Sibrian
Title:Las aventuras de Huckleberry Finn
Authors:MARK TWAIN
Info:AKAL (2011), Perfect Paperback

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1884)

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain (becca58203, kxlly)
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    Searching For Jim: Slavery In Sam Clemens's World (Mark Twain and His Circle) by Terrell Dempsey (pechmerle)
    pechmerle: Tremendously enlightening study of the N.E. Missouri social context from which Twain developed the character of Jim.
    The Life of Lazarillo de Tormes by Anonymous (caflores)
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (caflores)
    Kim by Rudyard Kipling (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Orphaned kid with plenty of street-smarts embarks on a dangerous journey interwoven with high-stakes matters from the adult world (Slavery/Russo-British Espionage).
    Flash for Freedom! by George MacDonald Fraser (ehines)
    Memed, My Hawk by Yashar Kemal (Eustrabirbeonne)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (caflores, CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Disillusioned youth takes off. A liar himself, he despises frauds.
    Nigger: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word by Randall Kennedy (bertilak)
    Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (ateolf)
Read (26)
Unread books (1,068)

English (372)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (384)
This was so much fun!
I am still amazed that Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn can be so mischief and so innocent at the same time... ( )
  FilipaCorreia | Jun 30, 2016 |
great story, great charaters. very well written. dialects can be hard to understand but well worth it. must read out loud to yourself. ( )
  jodiesohl | Jun 25, 2016 |
Blueprint for living. Five stars. Six stars. A thousand stars! ( )
  Peter_Scissors | Jun 21, 2016 |
A great historical read that is full of exciting adventure and heart wrenching drama. ( )
  BrandyLuther | Jun 19, 2016 |

3.5 stars

“That is just the way with some people. They get down on a thing when they don’t know nothing about it.”

It looks like Huckleberry Finn will be yet another classic I kind of fail in rating wise.

As a wee one I recall doing a mini, poorly written biography on Mark Twain for school. Why I picked him, who knows, I hadn’t read his stuff. That didn’t change until now either, where my first encounter is Huckleberry Finn, a book I rushed into enthusiastically, convinced I’d embrace this long-praised classic like a well-known friend. Sadly this wasn’t exactly the case.

There’s no argument, none, that this isn’t an awesome adventure tale. It pushed the envelope and was written full rush, the author without fear showing an abused child who runs away from his elders, a victim of fate who messes around with people, personal property, and petty crime. Certainly not a conventional protagonist for that time period, Huckleberry (what a name!) is far from perfect but that’s a star in his favor since I don’t care for one-dimensional characters. He’s not that – he has a conscience, he’s good in spirit, but also delightfully rebellious, ignorant due to circumstance, and enjoys a fib or two.

“What's the use you learning to do right when it's troublesome to do right and ain't no trouble to do wrong, and the wages is just the same?”

While the book wins with adventurous tales and the people Huck and Jim meet along their voyage, the dangers they escape, the near snares they avoid, my interest waned during the down time. It wasn’t the fault of the pacing, but rather my unfamiliarity with the old fashioned writing style. Dialogue is convincing and Twain full-on dishes out convincing dialect, yet this can grow irritating after awhile if I have to spend too much brain time away from the book trying to figure out what’s being said.

For a political soap-box story, this book has been commonly banned because of the “n” word usage. Here I see reviews disliking the book for that word as well.

I say, with this detestable word, that hiding from history or altering it (such as changing the word to robot in certain modern versions) doesn't do favors. It is history, it was the reality word then. If I read a modern book where this word was embraced, I would be offended. But with this book, published in the 1800s, I am not. Ironically it was banned for being anti-slavery when first released. It’s kind of strange now people see the word as too close to racism for comfort, so shun it for the opposite reasons now.

If the book kept this word up and promoted slavery of the times, I’d be more sympathetic to the outcries on not reading it. In reality, the author makes the situation of Jim a grim one, making the reader sympathize with the positive character of the story, see how horrible slavery was, and paints a nasty picture of it. It’s showing reality of those times but showing it as horrible, not something to be encouraged.

Overall it’s a worthy story, I can see why it gained it’s classic status – good characterization, interesting developments, a nice wrapped-up ending, unconventional plot surprises for the time period – it’s just a little difficult to stay enthralled with due to the time period I’m in now and the limited attention span I’ve developed.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Mark Twain may be called the Edison of our literature. There is no limit to his inventive genius, and the best proof of its range and originality is found in this book, in which the reader's interest is so strongly enlisted in the fortunes of two boys and a runaway negro that he follows their adventures with keen curiosity, although his common sense tells him that the incidents are as absurd and fantastic in many ways as the "Arabian Nights."

Mark Twainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Notice: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. By Order of the Author per G. G., Chief of Ordnance
You don't know about me, without you have read a book by the name of "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer," but that ain't no matter.
"All right, then, I'll go to hell"- and tore it up.
This is the original work. Please do not combine with other adaptations, abridgements, study guides, or volumes that contain the original work PLUS critical essays or study guides.
This is the story of a boy and an escaped slave as they travel down the Mississippi River. it's a story of friendship and family and home.
Run away from home
Lazy Summer down river
Ignorance ain’t bliss

(readafew)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553210793, Mass Market Paperback)

A seminal work of American Literature that still commands deep praise and still elicits controversy, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is essential to the understanding of the American soul. The recent discovery of the first half of Twain's manuscript, long thought lost, made front-page news. And this unprecedented edition, which contains for the first time omitted episodes and other variations present in the first half of the handwritten manuscript, as well as facsimile reproductions of thirty manuscript pages, is indispensable to a full understanding of the novel. The changes, deletions, and additions made in the first half of the manuscript indicate that Mark Twain frequently checked his impulse to write an even darker, more confrontational book than the one he finally published.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:26 -0400)

A feisty young boy fakes his own death to escape his abusive father and heads off down the Mississippi River with his newfound friend Jim, a runaway slave.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

4 2058
5 2011

10 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140424385, 0141439645, 0142437174, 0141023619, 0141321091, 0451530942, 0141045183, 0143105949, 0141334843, 0141199008

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,924,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible