Las aventuras de Huckleberry Finn by MARK…

Las aventuras de Huckleberry Finn (original 1884; edition 2011)

by MARK TWAIN

23,96032745 (3.92)1 / 734
Member:Negro.Sibrian
Title:Las aventuras de Huckleberry Finn
Authors:MARK TWAIN
Info:AKAL (2011), Perfect Paperback

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1884)

1001 (94) 19th century (502) adventure (567) America (156) American (438) American literature (733) children (127) children's (139) children's literature (97) classic (1,169) Classic Literature (134) classics (1,009) fiction (2,983) historical fiction (134) humor (192) literature (657) Mark Twain (238) Mississippi (175) Mississippi River (249) novel (499) own (100) race (116) racism (168) read (368) satire (109) slavery (443) to-read (179) Twain (163) USA (161) young adult (140)

English (314)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (326)
I grew up just a few miles south of Hannibal, Missouri, one of the many towns in the US that calls itself Mark Twain's hometown. In third grade, our class trip was to Mark Twain Cave, where the tour tells about Tom Sawyer's fictional adventures in the cave. In college, I got a summer job as a tour guide in Hannibal, MO, riding on a trolley and telling stories about Mark Twain, the cave, the river, and other interesting points of interest. As a result, I know a bit about Tom Sawyer. However, Huck Finn didn't figure into the tour much. After all, Huck leaves Hannibal near the beginning of his book, taking off down the Mississippi River with an escaped slave named Jim. So it was fun to revisit this book. I remembered very few of the details of Huck's adventures, but fell right back into Mark Twain's comic and observant writing style. Huck is a resourceful boy, which is good because he is always getting into trouble. I found myself wishing that Huck would learn from his previous adventures occasionally because he always seemed to be getting into the same scrapes. But his relationship with Jim develops as they go down the river on a raft together with Jim looking out for Huck even when Huck doesn't realize it. This made me want to revisit Tom Sawyer, which I have read in years, and maybe branch out into some of Mark Twain's other stories. ( )
  porch_reader | Jul 19, 2014 |
World-renowned classic. High school and college reading. Danger. Adventure. A slice of American history. About like I remembered from high school. There's not much I could add the the hundreds of thousands of reviews all over the world about this book. ( )
  lesmel | Jun 26, 2014 |
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn chronicles the adventures of a young boy growing up in 19th century Missouri. Hunting and fishing, swimming and causing mayhem is how Huckleberry prefers to pass the time. However, his guardian wants him to be a respectable young man. This includes going to church, wearing nice clothes and not smoking. He resents church learning, dressing in scratchy clothing or following rules in general. His guardian, the Widow Douglas, adopted him from his drunken, abusive father. Low and behold, the Widow cannot keep him from his father forever, for Huck’s father finds and abducts him.
Huck doesn’t like his mean father, but likes living in the woods. Its rather problematic that he is left locked in his cabin with nothing to do. He plots to run away that will lead to a journey that will define his whole life.
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was a magnificent book. It captured the feel of the south at the time perfectly. The way everyone talks and acts makes you feel like you’re there with Huck on his escapades. It had many moments of Twain’s clever sense of humour, making the book much more enjoyable. All of Huckleberry’s mini-adventures that he goes on are stories in themselves. The excitement, comedy and seriousness that the novel is filled with is uncanny. If only it hadn’t ended.
  br14besj | Jun 12, 2014 |
I know that the first time I read this book my junior year of high school, it was somewhat difficult for me to get through. It's a great story, but the dialogue was tough. This is one that I had to read two or three times to really appreciate everything it has to offer, and to notice all of the detail. Because of the dialect of the characters, the dialogue was a full-time focus for me the first time reading the book. It gets easier though! I think middle school students would enjoy listening to the story being read to them, but I know if I was assigned that book to read on my own as a middle school student, I wouldn't have been able to follow the story, unfortunately. Besides that, the story is packed full of adventure, feelings of excitement, feelings of sorrow, and the meaning of friendship.
  ErinnnPratt | Jun 9, 2014 |
Gebaseerd op herontdekte, verloren gewaande, eerste helft van Twains manuscript
  Marjoles | May 20, 2014 |
Mark Twain may be called the Edison of our literature. There is no limit to his inventive genius, and the best proof of its range and originality is found in this book, in which the reader's interest is so strongly enlisted in the fortunes of two boys and a runaway negro that he follows their adventures with keen curiosity, although his common sense tells him that the incidents are as absurd and fantastic in many ways as the "Arabian Nights."

Mark Twainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Notice: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. By Order of the Author per G. G., Chief of Ordnance
You don't know about me, without you have read a book by the name of "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer," but that ain't no matter.
"All right, then, I'll go to hell"- and tore it up.
This is the original work. Please do not combine with other adaptations, abridgements, study guides, or volumes that contain the original work PLUS critical essays or study guides.
This is the story of a boy and an escaped slave as they travel down the Mississippi River. it's a story of friendship and family and home.

This book was the perfect adventure book for me when I was younger. I always wanted to pretend I was floating off on some great journey, but I was always happy to come home.
Run away from home
Lazy Summer down river
Ignorance ain’t bliss

(readafew)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553210793, Mass Market Paperback)

A seminal work of American Literature that still commands deep praise and still elicits controversy, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is essential to the understanding of the American soul. The recent discovery of the first half of Twain's manuscript, long thought lost, made front-page news. And this unprecedented edition, which contains for the first time omitted episodes and other variations present in the first half of the handwritten manuscript, as well as facsimile reproductions of thirty manuscript pages, is indispensable to a full understanding of the novel. The changes, deletions, and additions made in the first half of the manuscript indicate that Mark Twain frequently checked his impulse to write an even darker, more confrontational book than the one he finally published.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:47 -0400)

A feisty young boy fakes his own death to escape his abusive father and heads off down the Mississippi River with his newfound friend Jim, a runaway slave.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

Ten editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140424385, 0141439645, 0142437174, 0141023619, 0141321091, 0451530942, 0141045183, 0143105949, 0141334843, 0141199008

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,500,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible