Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (original 1884; edition 1994)

by Mark Twain

24,38233345 (3.92)1 / 775
Member:riverman
Title:Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Authors:Mark Twain
Info:Dover Publications (1994), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:My best books
Rating:*****

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1884)

English (320)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (332)
Well, what can I say. Mark Twain is as brilliant as ever. ( )
  NatalieAsIs | Oct 23, 2014 |
Probably my number one book of all time. The language, the voice, the stories, the sense of what it means to be an American. ( )
  MattPearson | Oct 20, 2014 |
Great book for fourth grade history. ( )
  blev | Oct 18, 2014 |
This book adapts the story of Huckleberry Finn’s journey down the river for low-level readers, while keeping intact the characters and themes that have made the story a classic. Greatly simplified, the book would be a useful tool for teaching basic reading skills, while exposing the reader to cultural reference points and preparing them to tackle the original novel once their reading level has improved. The adapted story progresses much more quickly than the original, decreasing the chance that struggling readers’ interest will be overshadowed by the effort of reading the text. The quicker pacing can feel awkward at times, but so much that it would confuse or distract the reader. A few black and white illustrations throughout provide breaks from the text, alleviating readers’ fatigue. Chapters are a few pages long, and each page contains about fifteen large-print lines. Paragraphs are composed of several short sentences, which usually have only one or two simple clauses. Because of its clear storytelling and simplified language and structure, this adaptation is a useful introduction to classic literature for readers who are not ready for the original novel. It is a solid educational tool for remedial older readers as well as precocious younger ones. Table of contents. Recommended. Grades 5-12. ( )
  kottenbrookk | Oct 13, 2014 |
Published, 1885, first published in UK, 1884

I listened to the audio read by B. J. Harrison

I thought I had read this before, but now that I have reread it (or not), I can’t say that I remember a thing. This is an adventure, a quest, of Huckleberry Finn, a poor motherless boy with a drunken father who beats him and his adventure on the Mississippi River with the runaway slave, Jim. Jim is running away from slavery because he fears being sold south but ironically Jim and Huck head off, going further and further into slave country as they go down the river.

OPENING LINE: You don't know about me, without you have read a book by the name of "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer," but that ain't no matter.

QUOTES: "All right, then, I'll go to hell"- and tore it up.”

CLOSING LINE: I been there before.

The importance of this book is that it is the first American novel written in the vernacular of the characters living in the area along the river. It is a story about slavery but was written after slavery was abolished. It is a satire of entrenched racism. This book has been banned and may even still be banned because of its language and use of the racial slur “nigger” or more politely said, “the n word”. The book really is antiracist. Huckleberry Finn spends time on the raft with Jim who he promises not to turn in. Huck feels he is sinning by not turning in the runaway and finally reconciles by saying “all right, then, I’ll go to hell”. While on the raft, Huck gets to know a black man.

MY REACTION: as I said in the beginning, I was surprised not to remember anything about this book. I must have only read Tom Sawyer. so glad I decided to reread. I think it is definitely a young person’s novel. I liked the first part best, the trip with Jim down the river and I liked the part least where Tom joins Huck and play the prank on Tom’s relatives. The use of the “n” word is so frequent and with our current awareness that this word is distasteful, it was distracting. Because it is a classic adventure story that occurs on the Mississippi River, I do think it holds a special place in American literature. What I liked best was the River, the Mississippi River is such a great river character in literature.

I rated it 3 stars, mostly for enjoyment factor, I think it just didn’t work as well as it would have would I have been reading it in sixth grade. ( )
  Kristelh | Oct 3, 2014 |
Mark Twain may be called the Edison of our literature. There is no limit to his inventive genius, and the best proof of its range and originality is found in this book, in which the reader's interest is so strongly enlisted in the fortunes of two boys and a runaway negro that he follows their adventures with keen curiosity, although his common sense tells him that the incidents are as absurd and fantastic in many ways as the "Arabian Nights."

Mark Twainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Notice: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. By Order of the Author per G. G., Chief of Ordnance
"All right, then, I'll go to hell"- and tore it up.
This is the original work. Please do not combine with other adaptations, abridgements, study guides, or volumes that contain the original work PLUS critical essays or study guides.
This is the story of a boy and an escaped slave as they travel down the Mississippi River. it's a story of friendship and family and home.

This book was the perfect adventure book for me when I was younger. I always wanted to pretend I was floating off on some great journey, but I was always happy to come home.
Run away from home
Lazy Summer down river
Ignorance ain’t bliss

(readafew)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553210793, Mass Market Paperback)

A seminal work of American Literature that still commands deep praise and still elicits controversy, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is essential to the understanding of the American soul. The recent discovery of the first half of Twain's manuscript, long thought lost, made front-page news. And this unprecedented edition, which contains for the first time omitted episodes and other variations present in the first half of the handwritten manuscript, as well as facsimile reproductions of thirty manuscript pages, is indispensable to a full understanding of the novel. The changes, deletions, and additions made in the first half of the manuscript indicate that Mark Twain frequently checked his impulse to write an even darker, more confrontational book than the one he finally published.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:47 -0400)

A feisty young boy fakes his own death to escape his abusive father and heads off down the Mississippi River with his newfound friend Jim, a runaway slave.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

Ten editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140424385, 0141439645, 0142437174, 0141023619, 0141321091, 0451530942, 0141045183, 0143105949, 0141334843, 0141199008

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,513,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible