Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (original 1884; edition 1994)

by Mark Twain

24,98135144 (3.91)1 / 809
Member:riverman
Title:Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Authors:Mark Twain
Info:Dover Publications (1994), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:My best books
Rating:*****

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (1884)

Read (25)

English (334)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (347)
What can I say? I read this several times as a child & teen. I loved the bit where the housewife figures out that Huck is a boy in a girl's dress. I love reading about the con artists. I want to float down a river with the stars above. Slavery is bad. If you've not read it, do so, ferpeetsake.

Ok, now (July 2012) I've just finished listening to this audio version, narrated by [a:Patrick Fraley|1312628|Patrick Fraley|http://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/nophoto-U-50x66.jpg]. He's good. I admit I've not listened to a lot of audio books so I don't have a lot to compare him too, but he 1. read naturally and smoothly in a pleasant voice, with pretty good differentiation among the characters and 2. helped me focus on the story instead of on deciphering the dialect.

I'd forgotten how many other stories were embedded in the adventures, and how much of a tribute to river life the book is. I'd forgotten how reflective of morals and ethics Huck is, too. This time I was a bit better able to tolerate Tom's shenanigans, but I still don't much care for that boy.

My teen son listened with me and he says he really liked it; it was a lot of fun. I can't think of anything more to say - it's just marvelous. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Discussion assignment on review
  TessaB28 | Mar 16, 2015 |
This is a wonderful American classic that deals with the issues of the antebellum south, harsh and overbearing parents, and the challenges of an active and growing boy. Huck finds adventure where ever he goes. I would recommend this as a read for all children in the 7th and 8th grade. It is timeless. ( )
  dorthys | Mar 15, 2015 |
The story of boyhood adventures down the Mississippi River. Another of Twain's impactful and revealing looks at childish adventure, childhood, slavery, the interaction between the Huck and the characters he comes into contact with during his travels.
  cm37107 | Mar 5, 2015 |
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain’s sequel to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, became an instant success in the year of its publication, 1884, but was seen by some as unfit for children to read because of its language, grammar, and "uncivilized hero." The book has sparked controversy ever since, but most scholars continue to praise it as a modern masterpiece, an essential read, and one of the greatest novels in all of American literature.... ( )
  Tutter | Mar 2, 2015 |
Mark Twain may be called the Edison of our literature. There is no limit to his inventive genius, and the best proof of its range and originality is found in this book, in which the reader's interest is so strongly enlisted in the fortunes of two boys and a runaway negro that he follows their adventures with keen curiosity, although his common sense tells him that the incidents are as absurd and fantastic in many ways as the "Arabian Nights."

Mark Twainprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Notice: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. By Order of the Author per G. G., Chief of Ordnance
You don't know about me, without you have read a book by the name of "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer," but that ain't no matter.
"All right, then, I'll go to hell"- and tore it up.
This is the original work. Please do not combine with other adaptations, abridgements, study guides, or volumes that contain the original work PLUS critical essays or study guides.
This is the story of a boy and an escaped slave as they travel down the Mississippi River. it's a story of friendship and family and home.

This book was the perfect adventure book for me when I was younger. I always wanted to pretend I was floating off on some great journey, but I was always happy to come home.
Run away from home
Lazy Summer down river
Ignorance ain’t bliss

(readafew)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553210793, Mass Market Paperback)

A seminal work of American Literature that still commands deep praise and still elicits controversy, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is essential to the understanding of the American soul. The recent discovery of the first half of Twain's manuscript, long thought lost, made front-page news. And this unprecedented edition, which contains for the first time omitted episodes and other variations present in the first half of the handwritten manuscript, as well as facsimile reproductions of thirty manuscript pages, is indispensable to a full understanding of the novel. The changes, deletions, and additions made in the first half of the manuscript indicate that Mark Twain frequently checked his impulse to write an even darker, more confrontational book than the one he finally published.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:47 -0400)

A feisty young boy fakes his own death to escape his abusive father and heads off down the Mississippi River with his newfound friend Jim, a runaway slave.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

10 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140424385, 0141439645, 0142437174, 0141023619, 0141321091, 0451530942, 0141045183, 0143105949, 0141334843, 0141199008

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,702,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible