I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen…

I Am America (And So Can You!) (edition 2007)

by Stephen Colbert

Member:LightHeavyweight
Title:I Am America (And So Can You!)
Authors:Stephen Colbert
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2007), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 240 pages
Collections:To read
Tags:Nonfiction, Humor, Satire, Politics

I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert

Recently added byLokweesha, AmorFati93, private library, thebigidea, jasonshurb, arnzen, walksaloneatnight

Not a bad book...a few laughs.
I think I liked this book better than Colbert's show only from the standpoint that I doubt anyone would take this seriously. I was well entertained with this book and barely put it down...I'm sure Mr. Colbert would be very happy to hear this.
If you are looking for some political satire that contains a couple laughs then this is the book for you! ( )
  gopfolk | Feb 13, 2015 |
It was fun - not brilliant or life-changing, but the guffaws were worth the check-out. Colbert's greatest-everist-moment still remains his address at the White House correspondent's dinner a couple of years back. Re-reading it in the book reminded me of the beauty of perfect satire. Kisses Colbert! ( )
  laurustina | Jan 14, 2015 |
Hee. Stephen Colbert. Funny but not as witty as America by Jon Stewart. ( )
  AlisonLea | Jan 10, 2015 |
Andrew bought me this book (along with some others) from my wishlist for m birthday. This book was released in 2007 and has been on my wishlist that entire time, so I was quite delighted to finally get my hands on it! Of course, the lag also meant that some portions were no longer as topical, but it was much less a problem than I thought it might be.

There is definitely a difference between reading Colbert and watching Colbert. A few times during early chapters on family and sexuality, I had to close the book and put it aside for a while -- because without being able to see that little twinkle in his eyes -- some of the words too closely resembled rhetoric I might hear surrounding the human sexuality paper discussion that the Church of the Brethren was enmeshed in at the time I was reading. I was probably a little over-sensitive given how mired I was already feeling in the issue, so I would hesitate to say it was an actual problem with the book.

For the most part I would say that anyone who enjoys the Colbert Report would enjoy this book. It was thoroughly diverting, with many "Wait! I have to read this to you!" passages. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
Unfortunately I Am America (And So Can You!) suffers from a ton of flaws and less-than-funny low-points. And the high points that appear in the book certainly don't pay for them. Look for Stephen's sequel book, America Again instead. ( )
  Salmondaze | Jul 10, 2014 |
If ''I Am America (And So Can You!)'' had nothing but its title, its Colbert cover portrait and 230 blank pages instead of printed ones, it would make a cherished keepsake just the same.

Stephen Colbertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lesser, Franksecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Purcell, Tomsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Silverman, Allisonsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To America
I am no fan of books. (Introduction)
My earliest memory is from when I was three years old.

Congratulations--just by looking at this webpage, you became 25% more patriotic.

From Stephen Colbert, the host of television's highest-rated punditry show The Colbert Report, comes the book to fill the other 23¿ hours of your day. I Am America (And So Can You!) contains all of the opinions that Stephen doesn't have time to shoehorn into his nightly broadcast.

Dictated directly into a microcassette recorder over a three-day weekend, this book contains Stephen's most deeply held knee-jerk beliefs on The American Family, Race, Religion, Sex, Sports, and many more topics, conveniently arranged in chapter form.

Always controversial and outspoken, Stephen addresses why Hollywood is destroying America by inches, why evolution is a fraud, and why the elderly should be harnessed to millstones.

I Am America (And So Can You!) showcases Stephen Colbert at his most eloquent and impassioned. He is an unrelenting fighter for the soul of America, and in this book he fights the good fight for the traditional values that have served this country so well for so long.

Please buy this book before you leave the store

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:04 -0400)

From the host of television's comedy-punditry show The Colbert Report, comes the book to fill the other 23 hours of your day. This book contains all of the opinions that Stephen doesn't have time to shoehorn into his nightly broadcast, his most deeply held knee-jerk beliefs on The American Family, Race, Religion, Sex, Sports, and many more topics, conveniently arranged in chapter form. Stephen addresses why Hollywood is destroying America by inches, why evolution is a fraud, and why the elderly should be harnessed to millstones. You may not agree with everything Stephen says, but at the very least, you'll understand that your differing opinion is wrong.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,138,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible