The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir

The Six Wives of Henry VIII (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Alison Weir

1,939None3,507 (4.15)69
Member:Skeveo
Title:The Six Wives of Henry VIII
Authors:Alison Weir
Info:Grove Press (1991), Edition: 1st Grove Press Paperback, Paperback, 656 pages
Tags:Reading Now

The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir (1991)

I read this book in 6th grade and have been in love with Alison Weir ever since. There is so much detail in this book but none of it is boring. It is amazing to see how many conceptions and miscarriages a queen had to go through just so that A king could have a son. Henry VIII spent most of his life looking for a son when he should have seen the potential he had in his daughters. I can read this over and over and I always seem to learn something new. ( )
  Desilu42 | Aug 1, 2013 |
A very well written book, I have read several books on Henry Vlll and his six wives. Weir again here has done her research into the lives of all six wives and leaves nothing out. A very good book for Tudor fans as well as anyone who has and interest in British history. I am never disappointed when reading Allison Weirs books. ( )
  luckycharm6139 | Jul 10, 2013 |
A definite to-read if you're into Tudor England. ( )
  Mortybanks | May 20, 2013 |
I have a nearly insatiable interest in the Tudors and this book helped quench some of that interest. Weir's biographies of Henry VIII and his six wives gave me a satisfying insight into the court and the women who became his wives, as well as the impact it had in his three legitimate children, each of whom ruled England. ( )
  AuntieClio | May 12, 2013 |
Where I got the book: purchased on Amazon UK.

Ah, I do enjoy an Alison Weir. I am not enough of a historian to have Opinions about history, so my comments are about the writing rather than historical merit, and the writing is good. Weir is always lively and entertaining, perfect for a recreational history reader like me, and I found myself zipping through this as if through a novel, even though I knew how each character's story ended!

It's strange, though, that my interest is always greatest up to the point where Anne Boleyn dies. I always think that the real Henry VIII story was that of the Henry-Catherine-Anne triangle, and the rest of the wives never seem to match up to the cut and thrust of the Great Matter. Once Henry won the point that he could marry and dispose of at will, the other wives' stories seem to be those of ambition overcoming common sense with the possible exception of Anne of Cleves, who really did quite well out of the deal (granted, it's a bit trickier, politically speaking, to behead a foreign princess so she had some guarantees going in).

Perhaps this is why I felt that the book started off as an account of the wives but ended up more as the standard Henry +6 story; Catherine and Anne dominate the first part of the book, and then the wives get less interesting. Still, if you're looking for a good recap or just a bit of Tudor entertainment with real-life characters, read this one. It also has a good chronology, very useful if you need to check dates. ( )
  JaneSteen | May 2, 2013 |
The reign of Henry VIII is one of the most fascinating in English history.
Henry VIII's marital affairs brought the royal marriage into public focus for the first time in our history.
Henry VIII's wives would all have learned very early in life that, as women, they had very little personal freedom.
Infidelity in a wife was not tolerated, but for queens Henry VIII made it a treasonable offence punishable by death, because it threatened the succession.
What was really required of a queen was that she produce heirs for the succession and set a high moral standard for court and kingdom by being a model of wifely dignity and virtue.
Queens walked slowly, danced slowly, and moved with regal bearing, not just because they were born to it, but because their clothes constrained them to it.
blurb: Henry VIII is perhaps England’s most infamous monarch, especially when it comes to matters of the heart. He was married to six distinctly different women, and in this richly detailed and meticulously researched history, these remarkable, often misunderstood queens come to life once again: Katherine of Aragon, stubborn and devoutly Catholic; Anne Boleyn, proud and fiercely ambitious; Jane Seymour, deceptively strong willed; Anne of Cleves, unappealing and uncomplaining; Katherine Howard, young and foolish; and finally, Katherine Parr, brave, practical, and intelligent. Their full histories and personalities, emerge at last, giving voices to the six extraordinary women who left their distinctive marks on the English throne and thereby changed the course of British history.

The tempestuous, bloody, and splendid reign of Henry VIII of England (1509-1547) is one of the most fascinating in all history, not least for his marriage to six extraordinary women. In this accessible work of brilliant scholarship, Alison Weir draws on early biographies, letters, memoirs, account books, and diplomatic reports to bring these women to life. Catherine of Aragon emerges as a staunch though misguided woman of principle; Anne Boleyn, an ambitious adventuress with a penchant for vengeance; Jane Seymour, a strong-minded matriarch in the making; Anne of Cleves, a good-natured and innocent woman naively unaware of the court intrigues that determined her fate; Catherine Howard, an empty-headed wanton; and Catherine Parr, a warm-blooded bluestocking who survived King Henry to marry a fourth time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:49 -0400)

Well-documented portraits of each of King Henry the VIII's 6 wives. The lives and fates of King Henry VIII's legendary six wives are laid bare in a vivid, in-depth account that is set against the colorful, tempestuous background of the Tudor era.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,428,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible