52, Vol. 2 by Geoff Johns

52, Vol. 2

by Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison (Author), Greg Rucka (Author), Mark Waid (Author)

Other authors: Eddy Barrows (Illustrator), Chris Batista (Illustrator), Joe Bennett (Illustrator), Dale Eaglesham (Illustrator), Drew Geraci (Illustrator)9 more, Keith Giffen (Illustrator), Jack Jadson (Illustrator), Phil Jimenez (Illustrator), Drew Johnson (Illustrator), J.G. Jones (Cover artist), Andy Lanning (Illustrator), Shawn Moll (Illustrator), Patrick Olliffe (Illustrator), Stephen Wacker (Editor)

Series: 52 (volume 2), Superman TPBs Post-Crisis Continuity (52 14-26)

This is the Second volume in the 4 TPB volumes of this series. Not a whole ton of it new. 52 was so intricate and each of these stories that seemed so disparate are actually very tightly intertwined.

There's lots of interesting new characters in this one, Sobek, Osiris, a new Infinity Inc team 'owned' by Lex Luthor. WE get to see Martian Manhunter again as well. And there's more Renee/the Question stuff (although no Batwoman, which was sad). There's even an island full of Mad Scientists (and what happens when a female scientist arrives is hilarious and depressing all at once).

My favorite part of this volume though was the Supernova mystery, and how the writers have moved it forward. In a way that the reader can guess and guess and just never come up with the answer. ( )
  DanieXJ | Sep 26, 2014 |
As great a narrative as the first time around. Something about the concept of the second tier superheroes taking over for a year while the big guys are gone is really fun to me. It doesn't really happen in comics, and I'm not sure why but I like when the underdog has to take over for the big problem. This gives a lot of great character the spotlight, and gives them a lot of depth some readers probably never knew they had. Also love how it works out to one issue being equal to one week, that helps the pacing and to sustain interest. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Apr 1, 2014 |
52, Volume Two picks up right where the first volume left off and covers weeks 14 through 26 in the DC Universe’s year without Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman. For the most part, my review of 52, Volume One sums up my feelings on this book as well. However, there are some differences. For starters, I was disappointed to find absolutely no mention or appearance of Kate Kane/Batwoman in this volume (although she is front and center on the cover of 52, Volume Three, so I assume we will see more of her there!). Secondly, I did not find the art work quite up to par on the second volume. It is still exceptionally well done, but not quite as exquisite as the first volume. And, as the story lines progress and crisscross, I found certain plot lines less appealing (i.e., Ralph Dibny and his bizarre treks into other worlds) while others became more interesting than previously (i.e., Black Adam and his expanding family). Some plot lines, like Animal Man, Adam Strange, and Starfire lost out in space, still hold no interest for me, but again I’m hoping it will all come together to in the end. In that vein, the occasional references to what will come in the author notes continue to intrigue and I look forward to the remaining two volumes. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | May 27, 2011 |

Lanning, AndyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moll, ShawnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Olliffe, PatrickIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wacker, StephenEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
It's a thirty-one-hour flight from Gotham to Kahndaq.

As the world learns of the loss of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, a new group of superheroes tries to fill the void the heroes left behind.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,025,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible