The Worst Thing I've Done by Ursula Hegi

The Worst Thing I've Done (2007)

by Ursula Hegi

This is a sad and sombre novel and it was difficult to find anything cheering in it at all. Three friends growing up together, Annie, Jake and Mason. Annie's parents died on her wedding day and Annie and Mason raise Opal, Annie's sister born that day.
Annie and Mason's relationship is complicated, with Jake playing a role too and it is not surprising that they do the worst thing they could, as the title suggests.
The novel is beautifully written, as I would expect from Ursula Hegi and well put together. We hear different voices throughout the novel, which is good. The hippy aunty is a nice character and her boyfriend Pete, give a bit of happiness to the story. ( )
1 vote Tifi | Jul 23, 2012 |
An overly dramatic, fictional memoir, filled with confused passages, disturbed grief, self-importance and over indulgence. Not worth the time to read it. ( )
  1983mk | Feb 7, 2011 |
An unusual story the examines the meaning of love, guilt, death, transformation and moving on. A bit heavy-handed in the politics (even though I agree with the author's views) which seemed to interrupt the story at times. ( )
  Lcwilson45 | Jun 23, 2010 |
I agree with others that said the book fails because there's too little story and too much "style". It might be very creative and imaginative...but that alone doesn't appeal to me enough to keep me interested. ( )
1 vote oldblack | Jan 15, 2009 |
Good story. She used an interesting format for this story so you got the current and past versions of what is happening with occasional parts of a letter. It was good. I liked it a lot. It kept me reading longer than I thought for the type of thing it was. I can't tell you or I will ruin it for you.
1 vote thotcriminal | Oct 29, 2008 |
For Gail Hochman and Mark Gompertz
Tonight, Annie is driving from North Sea to Montauk and back to North Sea as she has every night since Mason killed himself.

"Tonight, Annie is driving alone from North Sea to Montauk and back again, as she has every night since her husband, Mason, challenged what she believed about herself and about their marriage. Eating junk food and listening to talk radio, Annie tries to shut out her rage, her pain, but Mason's voice persists within her, as urgent as the voices of an anonymous callers who confess their misery to the radio psychologists." "Since early childhood, Annie, Jake, and Mason have had a special bond. When Annie's parents die on the same night that she and Mason are married, the three friends decide to raise Annie's newborn sister, Opal, together." "Annie struggles to be both a sister and a mother to Opal, a wife to Mason, and a friend to Jake. Not surprisingly, their relationships, already entangled, grow dangerous, too close, on the line. One fateful night the three friends miss the moment when they could still turn back, and they goad each other to step across the line, with shocking, unforeseen consequences." "Set on the East End of Long Island, the Worst Thing I've Done is an incandescent story of love, friendship, and marriage; of joy and betrayal; of an artist's struggle to reconnect with her work; and of how we can choose our mothers, our families. It explores the resilience in the protagonists' lives, and their courage to move forward despite an uncertain future."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,069,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible