Based on extensive research in both American and British archives, 1776 is the story of Americans in the ranks, men of every shape, size, and color, farmers, schoolteachers, shoemakers, no-accounts, and mere boys turned soldiers. And it is the story of the British commander, William Howe, and his highly disciplined redcoats who looked on their rebel foes with contempt and fought with a valor too little known. But it is the American commander-in-chief who stands foremost -- Washington, who had never before led an army in battle.… (more)

1776 is well-researched and compellingly written, but at its foundation, it's a book about two groups of men trying to solve a conflict with projectiles and bayonets. It doesn't mention slavery except in passing and Native Americans and Black soldiers get barely a glance, which feels incomplete at best. I'm more interested in the "why" than in the battle details, but reading about the struggles, uncertainty, and disillusionment in the beginning of the U.S. while our democracy is under such threat now was somewhat comforting. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Sep 20, 2020 |
It is mainly about George Washington, and those close to him. This book covered roughly the first year of the war in well researched detail, but instead of being tedious, was engagingly written.

There are 88 pages of notes, bibliography and index.
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
I liked it, though it was somewhat dry. I'm really glad I listened to the audio book, which helped me get into it. I did keep getting distracted and bored, so probably not the right genre for me. ( )
  avonar | May 27, 2020 |
I honesty don't think I was n the right mindset to take on this historical nonfiction narrative. It took me longer to finish then I would have liked. I didn't actually read what this was about and I just assumed it was all about the Revolutionary War. Which in essence it is, but like the title suggests (stupid me), this book is about the year 1776 only and about all the trials, tribulations, and setbacks that the Continental army dealt with in the first year of the war. By all accounts, the rag tag, undisciplined, untrained, and under-equipped army should have lost from the onset, but with a vivacious leader like General George Washington and the grit of some, they were able to get the American public on their side (slowly) after suffering many retreats and defeats in the beginning. Told in a narrative way, this story is engaging; but very overwhelming with names, places, and other "mundane" aspects of war. I learned a lot of neat tid-bits that never came up in class; but overall this is an exhaustive read and one I was not much in the mood for even though it was well-researched and written. ( )
  ecataldi | Apr 11, 2020 |
The information contained in this book interesting though only a snapshot of what I was thinking might come from it. About halfway through I realized this was _just_ going to cover 1776 (with a brief play of some events of 1775 in the beginning). The last pages race through some key events and spoilers leading up to the British surrender, which leaves me with a feeling that the book had reached its intended word count and then the author tried to finish it quickly.

That said, it’s obvious that the presented material had extensive research. There are many quoted letters to present opinions in (mostly) the words of first account witnesses. The author does take some liberties to add or comment on words or phrases, though it is in an aide to the modern reader unfamiliar with phrases or abbreviations of the time.

On the whole, it’s a good book. But I do not think this is a great book. ( )
  joerocklin | Mar 23, 2020 |

In his exhaustively researched and highly accessible new book, "1776," best-selling historian David McCullough (two-time Pulitzer winner for "John Adams" and "Truman") follows the Continental Army through a single, fateful year, one filled with surprise victories, stunning reversals, perilous midnight retreats and pure, grind-it-out perseverance. It's a story filled with drama, and McCullough shows himself once again to be among our nation's great storytellers.

In his new book, ''1776,'' David McCullough brings to bear on this momentous year the narrative gifts he's demonstrated in such absorbing histories as ''The Great Bridge'' and ''The Path Between the Seas.'' As a history of the American Revolution, it is an oddly truncated volume: pivotal developments leading to the revolution like the Stamp Act, which happen to fall outside the perimeters of Mr. McCullough's rigid time frame, are not examined, and subsequent installments of the war (which would continue on after the Trenton-Princeton campaign for another half-dozen harrowing years) are ignored as well.

Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages. —General George Washington
For Rosalee Barnes McCullough
On the afternoon of Thursday, October 26, 1775, His Royal Majesty George III, King of England, rode in royal splendor from St. James's Palace to the Palace of Westminster, there to address the opening of Parliament on the increasingly distressing issue of war in America.
http://lccn.loc.gov/2005042505 . Please distinguish among, and do not combine:

Peter H. Hunt's film, 1776 (1972);
David McCullough's complete Work, 1776 (sometimes subtitled, "American and Britain at War," 2005);
the abridged audiobook, on 5 discs (2005; there's also one or more unabridged audio); and
McCullough's abridgment, 1776: The Illustrated Edition (2007).

Thank you.

David MCullough brings this monumental period in American history to life - I can't put this book down! Having grown up in Boston and now living in New York, Mr. McCullough's use of quotes and writings brings me even closer to the places I've called home.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,750,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible