1776 by David McCullough

Info:HOLT MCDOUGAL (2006), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 386 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading
Tags:just beginning to read - 6-2-15

1776 by David McCullough

I think I need to read this rather than listen to it. It got rave reviews from people on Audible so I kept trying, but I guess I'm not a fan of David McCullough's narration.
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
A British ship’s surgeon who used the privileges of his profession to visit some of the rebel camps, described roads crowded with carts and wagons hauling mostly provisions, but also, he noted, inordinate quantities of rum — “for without New England rum, a New England army could not be kept together.” The rebels, he calculated, were consuming a bottle a day per man.

One late night foray led me to finish this book hours after beginning. It is no great shame, but it was the musical Hamilton which inclined me to approach the work. My days of matriculation were often obscured to such narrative histories. 25 years ago at university I was an aspiring Marxist and I saw the American Revolution as between two slave owning factions of the same burning house. I now regard that approach as painfully naïve.

1776 chronicles more or less of the famed year in American Independence when Washington's cobbled forces stumbled about. The vastly superior Royal forces didn't appear to appreciate the significance of the stakes. Few do in the moment. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
I have read all of this history before but McCullough is a grand storyteller. It read like a novel and kept me engrossed. A real page turner. His research and use of quotes must have been a Herculean task. It added a great deal of authenticity, excitement and "life" to the story. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
Enjoyed this book. At times, the military descriptions would drag. Seems to fall between serious history and popular history. Good, but not reading too closely for scholarship purposes. Doesn't revolve around a solid thesis. However, extremely approachable writing style. ( )
  Alidawn | Jan 22, 2019 |
Who am I to rate a Pulitzer Prize winning book. This is a very readable, entertaining, and interesting history of the American Revolution in 1776. Little is mentioned of the declaration other than the effect on the morale of the American Army. This book focuses on the military campaigns of that year. From the transfer of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga that sealed the British withdrawal from Boston, the series of defeats of the Americans failed attempt to take New York that almost cost Washington his Army, to the Crossing of the Delaware and the defeat of Hessian Troops at Trenton. I couldn’t put the book down. ( )
1 vote tkgbjenn1 | Jan 4, 2019 |

In his exhaustively researched and highly accessible new book, "1776," best-selling historian David McCullough (two-time Pulitzer winner for "John Adams" and "Truman") follows the Continental Army through a single, fateful year, one filled with surprise victories, stunning reversals, perilous midnight retreats and pure, grind-it-out perseverance. It's a story filled with drama, and McCullough shows himself once again to be among our nation's great storytellers.

In his new book, ''1776,'' David McCullough brings to bear on this momentous year the narrative gifts he's demonstrated in such absorbing histories as ''The Great Bridge'' and ''The Path Between the Seas.'' As a history of the American Revolution, it is an oddly truncated volume: pivotal developments leading to the revolution like the Stamp Act, which happen to fall outside the perimeters of Mr. McCullough's rigid time frame, are not examined, and subsequent installments of the war (which would continue on after the Trenton-Princeton campaign for another half-dozen harrowing years) are ignored as well.

Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages. —General George Washington
For Rosalee Barnes McCullough
"On the afternoon of Thursday, October 26, 1775, His Royal Majesty George III, King of England, rode in royal splendor from St. James's Palace to the Palace of Westminster, there to address the opening of Parliament on the increasingly distressing issue of war in America."
http://lccn.loc.gov/2005042505 . Please distinguish among, and do not combine:

Peter H. Hunt's film, 1776 (1972);
David McCullough's complete Work, 1776 (sometimes subtitled, "American and Britain at War," 2005);
the abridged audiobook, on 5 discs (2005; there's also one or more unabridged audio); and
McCullough's abridgment, 1776: The Illustrated Edition (2007).

Thank you.
David MCullough brings this monumental period in American history to life - I can't put this book down! Having grown up in Boston and now living in New York, Mr. McCullough's use of quotes and writings brings me even closer to the places I've called home.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743226720, Paperback)

Esteemed historian David McCullough covers the military side of the momentous year of 1776 with characteristic insight and a gripping narrative, adding new scholarship and a fresh perspective to the beginning of the American Revolution. It was a turbulent and confusing time. As British and American politicians struggled to reach a compromise, events on the ground escalated until war was inevitable. McCullough writes vividly about the dismal conditions that troops on both sides had to endure, including an unusually harsh winter, and the role that luck and the whims of the weather played in helping the colonial forces hold off the world's greatest army. He also effectively explores the importance of motivation and troop morale--a tie was as good as a win to the Americans, while anything short of overwhelming victory was disheartening to the British, who expected a swift end to the war. The redcoat retreat from Boston, for example, was particularly humiliating for the British, while the minor American victory at Trenton was magnified despite its limited strategic importance.

Some of the strongest passages in 1776 are the revealing and well-rounded portraits of the Georges on both sides of the Atlantic. King George III, so often portrayed as a bumbling, arrogant fool, is given a more thoughtful treatment by McCullough, who shows that the king considered the colonists to be petulant subjects without legitimate grievances--an attitude that led him to underestimate the will and capabilities of the Americans. At times he seems shocked that war was even necessary. The great Washington lives up to his considerable reputation in these pages, and McCullough relies on private correspondence to balance the man and the myth, revealing how deeply concerned Washington was about the Americans' chances for victory, despite his public optimism. Perhaps more than any other man, he realized how fortunate they were to merely survive the year, and he willingly lays the responsibility for their good fortune in the hands of God rather than his own. Enthralling and superbly written, 1776 is the work of a master historian. --Shawn Carkonen

The Other 1776

With his riveting, enlightening accounts of subjects from Johnstown Flood to John Adams, David McCullough has become the historian that Americans look to most to tell us our own story. In his Amazon.com interview, McCullough explains why he turned in his new book from the political battles of the Revolution to the battles on the ground, and he marvels at some of his favorite young citizen soldiers who fought alongside the remarkable General Washington.

The Essential David McCullough

His Excellency: George Washington by Joseph J. Ellis
Washington's General by Terry Golway
Iron Tears by Stanley Weintraub
Victory at Yorktown by Richard M. Ketchum

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:36 -0400)

Based on extensive research in both American and British archives, 1776 is the story of Americans in the ranks, men of every shape, size, and color, farmers, schoolteachers, shoemakers, no-accounts, and mere boys turned soldiers. And it is the story of the British commander, William Howe, and his highly disciplined redcoats who looked on their rebel foes with contempt and fought with a valor too little known. But it is the American commander-in-chief who stands foremost -- Washington, who had never before led an army in battle.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,511,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible