The Tenth Good Thing About Barney by Judith…

The Tenth Good Thing About Barney (1971)

by Judith Viorst

Review: A book about a boy whose cat has died. He spends his time thinking of ten things to say at the funeral.

Ages: 3-5

Source: Pierce ECE library
  DavidGriffin | May 18, 2014 |
When the death of a pet cat takes place the child lists 10 things that were good about him for closure and farewell
Ages:3-5
Source: Pierce College Library
  marainajudd | May 17, 2014 |
Age:5
Source: ece classroom

Little boys cat passes away and he thinks of ten good things to say at barneys funeral
  desertstorm | May 16, 2014 |
When the family cat dies a little boy mourns and has a really difficult time facing it. The story shows that dying is a part of life.

Ages: 3-6

Source: ECE
  RachelHollingsworth | Mar 1, 2014 |
We just lost our cat and this was a recommended book to check out. There really could not have been a better book to check out. We too plan to bury our cat in the yard under a tree. I have not yet read the book to our daughter (nearly 5) as I wanted to check the book out for myself - and to be honest I was a puddle of tears at the library flipping through. I think now that things have settled a little bit - we are ready to read this great little book as a family. In addition the illustrations are delightful! ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |

Judith Viorstprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blegvad, ErikIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A young boy’s cat dies and his parents suggest that he could think of ten good things about Barney to tell at the funeral. But he can only think of nine, until he talks to his Father about what happens to someone after they have died, and he discovers the tenth. A carefully written book with black and white pictures, that sensitively deals with death and lets the reader make his or her own decisions about what happens after the funeral.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0689712030, Paperback)

My cat Barney died this Friday. I was very sad. My mother said we could have a funeral for him, and I should think of ten good things about Barney so I could tell them...

But the small boy who loved Barney can only think of nine. Later, while talking with his father, he discovers the tenth -- and begins to understand.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:31 -0400)

In an attempt to overcome his grief, a boy tries to think of the ten best things about his dead cat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,554,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible