The Book of Intimate Grammar by David…

The Book of Intimate Grammar (1991)

by David Grossman

199459,063 (3.86)6
Recently added bypgsola, private library, nicoelston, AK23, intortetor, stevenjay

There is a lot of Yiddish in the book - such as.....Im hayu samim et hamo'ach shelcha b'tarnegol, hu haya ratz yashar l'shochet tafsik lezyen = "If they had to put your brain in a chicken, it would run straight to the butcher". Quite a lot I am still trying to translate.

I was shocked at the ending, it takes you places mentally that you might not want to go. ( )
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
I read this a second time because I will lead my book group discussion. I liked it a little better as a metaphor for Israel before 1967, but it is my least favorite David Grossman's books that I've read. I foumd tedious the details of the characters body functions and poor manners. ( )
  suesbooks | Nov 3, 2010 |
I found this book very difficult, and I did not enjoy reading it as I did other books of grossman's. I was actually bored and did not really care about the characters. this is an adolescent very much pained by his coming of age. I will read it again, as I know Grossman always has much to say. ( )
1 vote suesbooks | Jul 16, 2010 |
The Book of Intimate Grammar is a tale of troubled adolescence told from the point of view of Arun Klienfeld, a young Israeli boy who stopped growing. The book is written in a stream of conscious fashion--the reader gets caught up in his flights of fancy and his anxieties. ( )
  TinuvielDancing | May 14, 2010 |

David Grossmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pach, HildeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Und die das Geheimnis falsch und schlecht leben (und es sind sehr viele), verlieren es nur fur sich selbst und geben es doch weiter wie einen verschlossenen Brief, ohne es zu wissen.

RAINER MARIA RILKE, Brief an einem jungen Dichter
Aharon ging op zijn tenen staan om beter te kunnen zien wat er beneden gebeurde, zijn vader en moeder die naar buiten gingen om een luchtje te scheppen aan het eind van een snikhete dag.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312420951, Paperback)

Aron Kelinfeld is the ringleader among the boys in his Jerusalem neighborhood, but as his 12-year-old friends begin to mature, Aaron remains imprisoned in the body of a child for three long years. While Israel inches toward the Six-Day War, and his friends cross the boundary between childhood and adolescence, Aron remains in his child’s body, spying on the changes that adulthood wreaks as, like his hero Houdini, he struggles to escape the trap of growing up.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:48 -0400)

In Jerusalem, a boy decides to perpetuate his childhood by not growing up. The protagonist, Ahron, 12, is revolted by the sexual overtones of adulthood and the regimentation of his friends, which they call patriotism. By the author of The Smile of the Lamb.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,038,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible