The Truth (with jokes) by Al Franken

The Truth (with jokes) (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Al Franken (Author)

Member:LTietz
Title:The Truth (with jokes)
Authors:Al Franken (Author)
Info:Plume (2006), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages
Rating:*****

The Truth (with jokes) by Al Franken (2005)

"The Truth (With Jokes)" is long on both the truth AND the jokes. Al Franken, the author of such hard-hitting (and also very funny) books as "Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Idiot" and "Lies and The Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at The Right" and now Senator Franken from Minnesota, hit another one out of the park. Less funny the the other political texts I mentioned, it is a much more series book on the state of politics, and political malfeasance in particular, in America. Though particularly damning of the Bush Jr. administration, he has criticisms to spare for all Right-wing blowhards, nut-jobs and criminals who are ruining our country here at home and ruining our reputation abroad. While the conservative movement is what is wrong with this country, Senator Franken is a breath of fresh air and hopefully a movement in the "right (meaning correct in this instance)" direction.

1 vote ThothJ | Dec 4, 2015 |

ThothJ | Dec 3, 2015 |
Thoroughly researched and fact-checked and written in Al Franken's trademark comedic style, Franken presents a humorous, in-depth look at recent events and makes the happenings on Capitol Hill clear even to newcomers to the political scene. Highly recommended. ( )
  BethHatchel | Oct 31, 2015 |
He is really quite witty—which is much better than being funny—when he is being purely political. But he is barely even funny when funny is all he is trying to be.

For two corageous women: My Mom, Phoebe Knust Franken, and my Mother-in-Law, Frances Doyle Bryson. Thanks for my life and my wife.
It was a cool, misty day in Boston, Massachusetts, and TeamRadioFranken was riding high.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0525949062, Hardcover)

Nearly a year after the presidential election of 2004, Al Franken is still checking facts, exposing lies, and trying to clear the record as he sees it. Sneering at President Bush's declaration of a mandate after a two-and-a-half percent victory, he deconstructs Bush's 2004 platform of "fear, smear, and queers," and explains how the president has done some flip-flopping of his own. He offers comment on well-known stories, including the Terri Schiavo case, and some more obscure, such as reports of forced prostitution, indentured servitude, and squalid conditions at clothing factories in Saipan (which is part of the American Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands). Franken focuses on Tom DeLay's connection to the territory and his efforts to prevent bills from being passed that would have required Saipan to follow U.S. labor laws. Iraq, too, is discussed, from its planning stages to the huge sum of money currently unaccounted for, including $8.8 billion missing from the Coalition Provisional Authority's coffers.

On the home front, Franken covers President Bush's attempt at Social Security reform, explaining how they came up with the projected shortfall figure of $11 trillion. For one thing, they adjusted life expectancy to 150 years, while leaving the retirement age at 67: "That's an eighty-three-year retirement. They're never gonna get to that without stem cell research." He also takes some wickedly funny swipes at Karl Rove, lobbyist Jack Abramoff, pundits and hosts such as Rush Limbaugh, Tim Russert, and Sean Hannity, and, of course, President Bush. The Truth succeeds in providing ammunition to liberals and others dissatisfied with the current power base in Washington, D.C.--only this time (with jokes). --Shawn Carkonen

An Exclusive Video for The Truth (with jokes) from Al Franken

We try to keep things civil in our customer review section, but Al Franken, who apparently trained at the Saturday Night Live school of conflict mediation, didn't get the message in his exclusive video for his book The Truth (with Jokes): see high bandwidth and low bandwidth versions.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:36 -0400)

A work of political satire draws on a wide range of resources to expose the mendacity of the Bush administration and its conservative Republican supports.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,989,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible