Protector of the Small Quartet by Tamora…

For anyone who likes Tamora Pierce, this is a must-read. Great series about an ordinary girl who wants to become a Tortallan knight - and does! But there are great things in store for her, and she will be a pivotal figure in a northern war. ( )
  TWhite99 | Jul 24, 2014 |
Lovely as always. Four excellent books, tracking Keladry of Mindelan's path from probationary page through her first year as a knight - the first female knight (aside from Alanna, who concealed her sex until she was a full knight) in a hundred years or so in Tortall. She deals with sexism, classism, her own fears, and some really nasty enemies (both human and other) along the way, and she makes a real difference. My favorite Tortallan series.

Detailed reviews on the individual books in my catalog - tagged _Omnibus:PotSmall. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Feb 17, 2014 |
First Test:

Keladry is the first girl to apply to train as a knight since the law limiting knighthood to men was changed 10 years ago, but that doesn't mean that she'll be accepted. The knight in charge of training the pages is dead-set against Kel making it through the first year, and it's hard for any page to find their place in the palace.
I love Kel! She's got the same fighting spirit that I loved in Alanna, but she doesn't have the magic powers or (so far) the interested deities of the other girls in the previous books. She's just a regular girl (besides the martial arts training), and she's so good. I look forward to finishing this series.

Page:

More adventures in Keladry's quest to become a lady knight. This year she takes a maid, falls in love, and fights to become a squire.
Still loving Kel. It's hard to know what to say about these books until I finish the series. Looking forward to it.

Squire:

Keladry is taken on as a squire and prepares for knighthood under Lord Raoul who has always been one of her favorites amongst knights. She is believed to be a natural commander and trains to lead forces in her time with the King's Own while preparing for her coming encounter with the Chamber of the Ordeal in which every squire is proved worthy or not worthy to be a knight of the realm.
Kel has fast become my favorite Tamora Pierce heroine, and these books have really held me. It has been hard to put them down. Kel's great story and character are enough to inspire anyone to greatness.

Lady Knight:

Keladry made it through the Chamber of the Ordeal, but it had something extra to show her. Now with a personal mission and threat of a war on the borders of Tortall, she has to choose whether to await marching orders from her king or to head out on her own before they can be issued. When the choice is made for her, she is less than thrilled, but Kel always does what she thinks is right.
I was enjoying reading through the Tortall series before, but this has cemented it among my very favorites. I'm always drawn in and inspired by these books. I was planning on taking a break before starting the next group, but after falling asleep during my lunch hour today with a nonfiction book in my lap, I think I'll pick up Trickster's Choice at the library on the way home. ( )
  alwright1 | Aug 7, 2009 |
I can already tell you that the Protector of the Small series is going to stay with me a while. It will be a comfort book; one that I go back to read and reread whenever I'm in the mood for some excellent fantasy, one that will have it's spine bent backward with love and will never gather dust.

Before I get into specifics, I have to warn that the book is actually a series of four books. However, I read them as one GIANT book through the omnibus sold by the Science Fiction Book Club. By reading them that way, I may have a slightly different "experience" than someone who reads them one by one (depending on how fast they read, I guess).

Our series is about Keladry, the second woman in the kingdom of Tortall to want to be a knight (and the first to do it without deception). The best part of the book is Kel. Sometimes a character is merely a decoration to the action, easily interchangeable so long as the events stay the same. But Kel is the heart and soul of PotS. She is incredibly likeable, strong and dilligent and determined, but with very human flaws. She often bites off more than she can chew. She's terrified of heights.

But she is DETERMINED. She is fierce and the constant beatings she takes (physical and verbal) only serve to fire her up more. She has a spine of steel, but she is warm and giving, too. And while she must deal with the moral consequences of knighthood and battle (killing in particular), she is practical about it in such a way that she doesn't come off as pathetic OR soulless. She is a very balanced character, and refreshing to read.

Pierce is an incredible writer. She does so well with elements of old-school knighthood in a fantasy setting - the matters of swords, bows, horsing, armor... it blends naturally in and I never once felt I had to go get out an encyclopedia to look up her facts. She deserves a commendation for this, as it is difficult to integrate knowledge like that without having 8 paragraphs of exposition.

With the exception of "Lady Knight" (the last book in the series), most of the books don't have central plots. We're not trying to defeat the warlord or anything like that; the books are about Kel's journey. So if you're looking for suspense or mystery, I can't recommend them. But they're wonderfully written stories, and really focused on the characters within them (my favorite kind!). You get to watch Kel & her friends grow and change. And it's realistic; there's not much overdone or too dramatic.

I highly recommend these. I don't have enough stars to pin on this series, I just hung on every word and every sentence. If you're a fan of fantasy, I think you'll enjoy Protector of the Small. ( )
  CornerDemon | Apr 29, 2008 |

Minimal shelfwear. No markings. Pages are clean and bright. Binding is tight.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:48 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,364,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible