The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

The Almost Moon (edition 2008)

by Alice Sebold

Member:alicialevitt
Title:The Almost Moon
Authors:Alice Sebold
Info:Back Bay Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

English (157)  Danish (1)  All languages (158)
Seriously, what the hell am I reading? This is so screwed up that I can't even get behind it. Killing your mother? Bad, but fine. But all the ensuing crap? It just doesn't make sense.

No. Just no. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Alice Sebold
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
I listened to this book on Audio CD. I don't know why so many people rated this book so low and gave is such horrible reviews. I'm guessing because it didn't live up to The Lovely Bones also by Alice Sebold. I haven't read that one so I guess it didn't skew my opinion. I really liked this book. It was dark and different, yet also somehow so real to life. I would highly recommend. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
I really wanted to like this book. I wanted to ignore the (bad) hype and enjoy it, I really did. I really enjoyed "The Lovely Bones," and I'd like to think I went in to the story with an open mind, despite all the bad press. But I just couldn't do it... it wasn't even the subject matter, as much as the fact that I just didn't like it. I didn't like the story and I had no empathy for the main character. I know we were supposed to read about her childhood and feel sorry for her, but I didn't. I couldn't identify with her, I didn't like her, and I just couldn't get into the story she was telling. I only finished the book because it was like a train wreck... I just couldn't turn away. ( )
  justacatandabook | Mar 9, 2016 |
This is such a difficult book to discuss. I originally picked it up 13/12/2008 and had intended to read it promptly as it had been on my wishlist for some time. Then a month later my Mother passed away and I could no longer face it, 3 years later (to the date - spooky) I finally picked it up and I've found it so harrowing that it's taken me over a month to read and I've read 9 other books between chapters to cheer me up/clear my head.

Helen Knightly is a divorcee, mother of two adult girls, a life model, but most significantly, the daughter of an aging agoraphobic Mother who suffers from altzheimers. Their relationship has been abusive for all her life but she feels an obligation to care for her mother.

In the first chapter, she snaps and (sorry if you didn't realise) kills her mother. The rest of the book deals with the aftermath and her descent into chaos as her life unravels. Throughout there are flashbacks to various points in her life & relationship with her mother, family & friends which helps explain why she is the person she is. The final chapter leaves you with at least three options as to 'what will happen next'.

How to judge it? The fact that I perservered & finished it, rather than abandoning it early on, is testament to the writing. A lot of other reviewers have commented that they can't see how a person could react in the aftermath in the way Helen did, but I can totally see it, a moment of crisis, then numbness and a total lack of control, each event snowballing until she runs out of options.

Worth a read, but be prepared. ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Always, Glen
When all is said and done, killing my mother came easily.
And there it was, the hole that had given birth to me.…This was not the first time I’d been face-to-face with my mother’s genitalia.

A woman steps over the line into the unthinkable in this brilliant, powerful, and unforgettable new novel by the author of The Lovely Bones and Lucky.

For years Helen Knightly has given her life to others: to her haunted mother, to her enigmatic father, to her husband and now grown children. When she finally crosses a terrible boundary, her life comes rushing in at her in a way she never could have imagined. Unfolding over the next twenty-four hours, this searing, fast-paced novel explores the complex ties between mothers and daughters, wives and lovers, the meaning of devotion, and the line between love and hate. It is a challenging, moving, gripping story, written with the fluidity and strength of voice that only Alice Sebold can bring to the page.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

"With fierce intelligence and emotional intensity, Alice Sebold brings us a searing portrait of a mother-daughter bond that descends into murder. Clair and Helen Knightly are a parent and child locked in a relationship so unrelenting that they have become the center of each other's worlds. But as this novel opens, Helen crosses a boundary she never thought she would approach. And while her act is almost unconscious, it somehow seems like the fulfillment of a lifetime's unspoken wishes." "Over the next twenty-four hours, Helen's life rushes in at her as she is forced to confront the choices that have brought her to this one riveting crossroad. As a woman who spent years trying to win the love of someone who had none to spare, she now faces an uncertain and dangerous freedom. With her unflinching ability to confront the violence and danger that lurk beneath life's everyday surface, Sebold explores the complex ties within families, the meaning of devotion, and the thin line that separates us from our most haunting impulses. The Almost Moon is a story of passion and redemption written with the strength of voice that only Alice Sebold can bring to the page."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,849,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible