The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

The Almost Moon (edition 2008)

by Alice Sebold

Title:The Almost Moon
Authors:Alice Sebold
Info:Back Bay Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

English (151)  Danish (1)  All languages (152)
Very disturbing beginning, but a good read. Not as intense as The Lovely Bones. ( )
  Denise.Jenne | Sep 29, 2015 |
Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Terrible book. ( )
  bigorangecat | Aug 22, 2015 |
I know I said "OH!" or something like that during the first chapter---and then you are just plain grabbed by this audio! I'm sure reviews on this are all over the place but I thought it was a fascinating description of thoughts that came true and of mental illness in many dimensions in different characters. It would be wonderful if there was a way to add an epilogue---10 years later....what would really happen over time. Joan Allen was excellent as the reader--you felt that she really was Helen---describing what happened up until the moment when the book stops. ( )
  nyiper | May 22, 2015 |
This is a weird book. It's the only way that I can describe it. I think the problem with this book is that it just ends. It's very sudden at the end. An interesting concept, but just, well.... weird. ( )
  amme_mr | May 5, 2015 |
This is one of those looks into a life and a life pattern that, I'm told, is more common than I would have believed. I found the main character, Helen Knightly, to be impossibly passive, even in killing her mother. She was, as she stated at the end, just doing what she did so well, waiting. ( )
  susanbeamon | Mar 14, 2015 |
Always, Glen
When all is said and done, killing my mother came easily.

A woman steps over the line into the unthinkable in this brilliant, powerful, and unforgettable new novel by the author of The Lovely Bones and Lucky.

For years Helen Knightly has given her life to others: to her haunted mother, to her enigmatic father, to her husband and now grown children. When she finally crosses a terrible boundary, her life comes rushing in at her in a way she never could have imagined. Unfolding over the next twenty-four hours, this searing, fast-paced novel explores the complex ties between mothers and daughters, wives and lovers, the meaning of devotion, and the line between love and hate. It is a challenging, moving, gripping story, written with the fluidity and strength of voice that only Alice Sebold can bring to the page.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

"With fierce intelligence and emotional intensity, Alice Sebold brings us a searing portrait of a mother-daughter bond that descends into murder. Clair and Helen Knightly are a parent and child locked in a relationship so unrelenting that they have become the center of each other's worlds. But as this novel opens, Helen crosses a boundary she never thought she would approach. And while her act is almost unconscious, it somehow seems like the fulfillment of a lifetime's unspoken wishes." "Over the next twenty-four hours, Helen's life rushes in at her as she is forced to confront the choices that have brought her to this one riveting crossroad. As a woman who spent years trying to win the love of someone who had none to spare, she now faces an uncertain and dangerous freedom. With her unflinching ability to confront the violence and danger that lurk beneath life's everyday surface, Sebold explores the complex ties within families, the meaning of devotion, and the thin line that separates us from our most haunting impulses. The Almost Moon is a story of passion and redemption written with the strength of voice that only Alice Sebold can bring to the page."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,870,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible