The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

The Almost Moon (edition 2008)

by Alice Sebold

Member:alicialevitt
Title:The Almost Moon
Authors:Alice Sebold
Info:Back Bay Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold (Author)

Recently added byVanessa.Findlay, Linda.Covella, private library

English (146)  Danish (1)  All languages (147)
After reading The Lovely Bones, I had high expectations of Almost Moon, and I felt they were definitely met - it was an exhilarating read and I felt connected to the protagonist, despite the fact she was absolutely crazy. This seemingly impossible story is told in such a way that makes it believable and, in my opinion, makes the reader feel almost sorry for the protagonist. I loved it! ( )
  charleyrosej | Jun 18, 2014 |
I read this book several years ago and was mildly disappointed -- largely because of my lofty expectations. Sebold's "The Lovely Bones" is on my top dozen list of books over the past decade. I decided to give "The Almost Moon" another try. I listened to the audiobook narrated by the brilliant Joan Allen. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I appreciated the work more the second time around. Perhaps it's part of the aging process, but I discovered more "depth" to some of the characters than I had encountered in my first foray. Allen's riveting narration certainly helped to enhance the experience. ( )
  brianinbuffalo | Jun 14, 2014 |
I found this book hideously sensationalist and offensive. Admittedly I also found 'The Lovely Bones' gimmicky - but this book features a far more hideous protagonist and it revels in confronting the reader with grotesquery. Possibly cathartic if you fantasise about killing your mother ... possibly not even then. ( )
1 vote Kirstie_Innes-Will | Apr 18, 2014 |
I have to say this is a gorgeously written book, but I didn't warm to any of the characters or indeed the plot. The beginning scenes with Helen's mother after death are really very nasty and I found myself skipping over them in order to get back to some kind of normality. If normality can be found here … I also skipped over some of the rather more difficult scenes later on, though I did get the gist of it all.

When it comes down to it, Helen's family situation is pretty awful and perhaps on occasions rather unbelievable. To the point that, here and there, I found myself almost sympathising with the quite dreadful mother, or at least feeling as if she might have a point. I did like Helen's father, though, and I wished we'd had more of him. All in all, Helen does have a better relationship with the men in her life. The relationship with her ex-husband is also very tenderly depicted, and I liked Jake. I could see why he'd left though, oh yes.

Overall, the first half of the book is perhaps a tad too slow, but it gets more into gear when the police come on the scene, and Helen has to make more and more interesting decisions. Sadly, however, the ending isn't as good as it should have been as the last paragraph is, frankly, ridiculous, and should have been dropped very early on in the editing process. It would have been a far stronger book if it had stopped at that glorious penultimate paragraph.

So, the story is grim and so are the characters. But, still, it's beautifully written.

Verdict: Beautiful but grim. 3 Stars. ( )
  AnneBrooke | Apr 10, 2014 |
This is the second novel by author Alice Sebold, the first being the huge success "The Lovely Bones". This story takes place over 24 hours when the main character mercy-kills her mother, who suffers from dementia and agoraphobia. Things spin wildly out of control at this point. A strange book. I'll give the author another try, but this one did not capture me in a good way. ( )
  PermaSwooned | Apr 6, 2014 |
Always, Glen
When all is said and done, killing my mother came easily.

A woman steps over the line into the unthinkable in this brilliant, powerful, and unforgettable new novel by the author of The Lovely Bones and Lucky. For years Helen Knightly has given her life to others: to her haunted mother, to her enigmatic father, to her husband and now grown children. When she finally crosses a terrible boundary, her life comes rushing in at her in a way she never could have imagined. Unfolding over the next twenty-four hours, this searing, fast-paced novel explores the complex ties between mothers and daughters, wives and lovers, the meaning of devotion, and the line between love and hate. It is a challenging, moving, gripping story, written with the fluidity and strength of voice that only Alice Sebold can bring to the page.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:24 -0400)

"With fierce intelligence and emotional intensity, Alice Sebold brings us a searing portrait of a mother-daughter bond that descends into murder. Clair and Helen Knightly are a parent and child locked in a relationship so unrelenting that they have become the center of each other's worlds. But as this novel opens, Helen crosses a boundary she never thought she would approach. And while her act is almost unconscious, it somehow seems like the fulfillment of a lifetime's unspoken wishes." "Over the next twenty-four hours, Helen's life rushes in at her as she is forced to confront the choices that have brought her to this one riveting crossroad. As a woman who spent years trying to win the love of someone who had none to spare, she now faces an uncertain and dangerous freedom. With her unflinching ability to confront the violence and danger that lurk beneath life's everyday surface, Sebold explores the complex ties within families, the meaning of devotion, and the thin line that separates us from our most haunting impulses. The Almost Moon is a story of passion and redemption written with the strength of voice that only Alice Sebold can bring to the page."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,151,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible